Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 00:37   #1
TDC
BHPian

Ribbed tyre pros and cons?

Hi guys. Was wondering what, is any, advantage does the ribbed pattern on the front tyre have. I need to change my front tyre and have an option of ribbed or a patterned tyre. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:13   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC View Post
Hi guys. Was wondering what, is any, advantage does the ribbed pattern on the front tyre have. I need to change my front tyre and have an option of ribbed or a patterned tyre. Thanks in advance
Pros - Good steering control in dry conditions.

Cons - More liable to lose traction in slippery (wet/sandy) conditions.

You should make your choice based on where you stay and the conditions of the roads that you will travel.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
If you go on mud roads frequently pattern tyres gives more road grip and bites the mud road firmly particularly on steep inclines.

If you are riding on tarmac road always go for ribbed tyre as it has less rolling resistance and hence more fuel efficiency.
stampro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:18   #4
TDC
BHPian

I only ride on tarmac and i do more of the spirited type of riding (ie fast). I tend to drag my foot pegs a lot so need something with soft compound for higher cornering speeds and extra braking ability.

I ride a 500 enfield with an engine performance upgrade.

Does any one know or has experienced any such front tyre for the bullet? It should work in the wet as well And i plan to stick to 19".

The guy at the tyre shop in Lamington Rd said the dunlop is the softest compound. But it had a square thread pattern on the tyre :( seemed more suited to on road/off road use.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:16   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro
If you are riding on tarmac road always go for ribbed tyre as it has less rolling resistance and hence more fuel efficiency.
I don't think that there would be a noticeable change in FE because of a ribbed tyre !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC
The guy at the tyre shop in Lamington Rd said the dunlop is the softest compound. But it had a square thread pattern on the tyre :
Which Dunlop is he talking about ? Quote the model.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ribbed tire is just out dated technology and its cheap. Go for a high performance tire if you drive fast.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:51   #7
TDC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Ribbed tire is just out dated technology and its cheap. Go for a high performance tire if you drive fast.
That is what i want to do. I need suggestions
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does any one know or has experienced any such front tyre for the bullet? It should work in the wet as well And i plan to stick to 19".
19 is not a popular size internationally. Only dirt bikes use 19 front.
Check to see what the export bullets are getting and that might be your best bet.
Old 4th August 2009, 01:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The guy at the tyre shop in Lamington Rd said the dunlop is the softest compound. But it had a square thread pattern on the tyre :( seemed more suited to on road/off road use.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.
Even I went in for a Dunlop because choices were limited and it seemed to be the softest compound (amongst available Indian brands). You can read about the problems faced here - .

Don't know if this problem is common amongst this model of Dunlop or it involves their other ribbed designs (or even other tyres) also. If you don't have better info, I'd suggest you just avoid all ribbed Dunlops or all Dunlops for that matter.

Why don't you consider a ribbed MRF? The build quality and pattern both seem much better. Though MRF seems to use harder compounds, the rubber on their ribbed tyres seemed softer. Don't know how it performs though... at any rate it would be far better than a "wobbly" tyre.

Ceat could be another option if available in that size.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th August 2009 at 01:09.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ribbed pattern tyres suck, especially in the wet/dusty conditions. I had a nasty crash in the wee hours of Sunday morning on my LB500. Reason: My front tyre skidded badly under braking. Avoid ribbed tyres.

Also, for those of you with the monstrous 320mm disc up front, I'd recommend the saferide abs kit. I got one installed on Monday, mainly due to the fact that the bullet's disc brake locks up at the slightest provocation: another reason for my crash. I braked pretty hard to test the effectiveness of the system. Pretty effective. Feel is like that of drums, a little spongy, but way better han the grabby stock disc.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... I don't find too much difference between the ribbed pattern or otherwise. But then I haven't tried interchanging the patters on the same bike... so its quite difficult to say. I'm inclined to think that the compound is more important than the pattern.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I'd recommend the saferide abs kit.

More information, pics, price details blah blah needed.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

bblost,

Saferide ABS

Technically it isn't abs, but a hydraulic system which I think reduces the bite of the front disc. Nevertheless, it works real good on our bullets. I paid 1400 INR to get it installed in Pune.

Pluses: Simple and pretty efective.The Eata group(manufacturers of the saferide) guys get back real quick to any query.

Minuses: Not really an ABS, more of a delay system for lock up.

PS: KRP also sells some Chinese kits for cheap(650 bucks) and as always with Chinese kits, the quality is dubious.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th August 2009, 13:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Machismo came with "MRF" ribbed tyre, did use it for a while but never felt confident with it. later went for Dunlop.

My 500 had a Ceat ribbed and it was pathetic can say it was very hard. behaved very badly on wet surface and on uneven/muddy surface. again went for Dunlop.

AM very satisfied with Dunlop button trye..
Old 5th August 2009, 15:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Button tyre? You mean for the rear? Studded tyres don not perform well on smooth roads and even the ride quality suffers. For offroading or bad roads, they are of course great...

Surprised to hear that your Ceat was a hard compound. The new ones I checked last time in a shop were as "soft" as Dunlop... if not more so! No idea how they perform in real though... have personally never used a Ceat tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks