Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Honda Shine - Long termer review

Honda Shine is in market for quiet some time. I bought mine almost 2 years back and feel it is apt to write a review of it now, as only time can tell you whether a product is really good or bad.

Design & Engineering:
The looks of Honda Shine may not appeal to everyone. It looks very much like an younger sibling of Honda Unicorn and hence if you are caught in traffic beside an Unicorn, you may feel as if you are lower in power, calibre, status and hence a little bit humiliating too. I would say, that is a drawback and the bike should look unique. Otherwise it is a decent, modest looking bike.

It gives a good seating posture - technically speaking the ergonomics are good even for long rides. However the pillion rider may develop aches in their tail if they don’t sit closer to the rider and hence good to carry your girl firend so that she may have to compulsorily sit closer to you. ;-)
The handle bar position may some times lead to shoulder aches. All the controls are placed comfortably. But the quality of plastic used for the controls is very much mediocre. I did not expect this from Honda. The indicator switches started problems just after an year of use. Now to switch on my right indicator, first I have to switch on the left and then go to right due to this problem.

The instrument console is really mediocre considering the ones available in Bajaj Discover or TVS Flame. It just has a Speedo-Odo combo and a fuel gauge and that too all are analogue.

The head lamp is powerful and hence is very helpful during night rides. However on slowing down it may dim as if it does not exist.

The gear shift lever is rightly placed and is comfortable. The gear ratios are worked out properly that the transmission is really butter smooth.
Engine is the USP (Unique Selling Proposition) of this bike. It is silent, smooth and responsive, yet economical. Even at low speeds the engine smoothness delights.

Honda has to seriously work on it’s rear view mirrors of Shine. You can see vehicles at a distance, but as soon as they close in, you will lose their sight. I firmly believe that the blind spot of Shine is larger than most of the bikes available in the market.

The tyres of both front and back are of same width as in Hero Honda Splendor. This poses slight instability when you ride on rough uneven surfaces.

The battery compartment is in the conventional place. However removing it for changing is slightly cumbersome.

You cannot have a grab bar to the side of the vehicle due to it’s design. It poses slight discomfort when the pillion rider sits with both legs to one side.

Performance, Fuel Economy and Handling:
As previously stated the Engine is the USP of this bike. It is silent, smooth and responsive, yet economical. It reaches 60 kmph is just over 5 seconds and the pick up is steady till 80 kmph. However I have never rode it beyond 80 kmph as stability suffers and dislodges confidence from the rider. This may be due to the thin tyres at the back (28mm as the front).
Beyond 50 kmph itself one will find the need of an additional gear as 4 gears is not enough for such an engine. The engine smoothness will delight anybody even at low speeds, say 10 kmph in 2nd gear. Gear shift is slick and precise. Transmission is another area where this bike excels.
In the last two years I have rode it without much thought on to the fuel economy as however I ride it it gave me about 65 kmpl consistently as promised though I have missed several maintenance schedules.

Handling is one area I hope there is scope for improvement. The suspension is stiffer and poses problems when you ride on bad roads. Road grip is lesser due to thin tyres at the back, which is a problem in bad roads as well as cornering. However straightline stability is wonderful and provides tireless ride in congested city traffic as you will need very less gear changes owing to its excellent low end torque, that enables good engine smoothness at low speeds.

Shine has one of best brakes (I have disc brakes) and I had avoided several accidents due to good braking.

Conclusion
Honda Shine is a winner in most areas except for a few, like looks and handling. It is perfect for riding within city as well as on the highway. However bad roads are not the area Shine can play on.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice concise review Crank. Honest unbiased views about the Shine.

Tyres are a weak point of most bikes of this class in order to squeeze out more mileage from them. But am a bit disappointed to know that the quality of switchgear is mediocre as there are high expectations from Honda always.
Old 28th May 2010, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the review now that the bike is another eight months older ?
Old 17th March 2011, 03:18   #4
BHPian

Re: Honda Shine - Long termer review

Sorry about the reply. Missed this. Nothing much changed in the last few months. Its all the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks