Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 16:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Thanks for the input guys. The thing is, it was only smoking for a couple of minutes after the spirited run. After that, it seemed to have come back to normal (although it sounds a bit rougher). No smoke during start up or full throttle now.

Is it possible that oil passes the piston rings only after extended ripping due to thermal distortion? Which then returns to normal after a couple of minutes?

1) How difficult or easy is it to start? Definitely more difficult than when I first got the bike.
2) Do you see black smoke as soon as it started or at a particular throttle opening? No
3) Can you ride the bike with minumum throttle? Yes.
4) Does the bike 8stroke? Means go phutphutphutphutphutphut as you increase throttle? Only when I am in the wrong gear and lugging it while trying to go open throttle.
5) Has the bike been stood for a while or are you sing it regularly? Regular use.
6) Have you made any changes to the bike? No mechanical mods since I got it. It had a short bottle silencer then.

Compression isnt as good as I would like from the standing-on-the-kicker test. Although I am a little heavy :P.
Hey if it was smoking only for a few mins after the high speed run then it needn't be bothered. Well, the engine is not healthy as it should be but no need to worry at the same time. You need to worry only if it's smoking at all times. During extended highspeed runs oil can get into the combustion chamber if the piston rings (especially the oil control ring) is weak, or through valve guides.

The Questions were not for you it was to sort out the rich/black smoke condition of ron_9191's bike.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
@GreaseMonk - If it is black smoke, it is never oil burning, so get that out of your head. You don't have to fear a conked out engine.

Just buy a new air filter and you will be good. Until the catch can overflows again. I would recommend getting rid of the catch can and using an old style vent tube, as Sankar said, to lubricate ur chain.

It is only because of an emission regulation(cannot vent breather directly to atmosphere), that the catch can is part of a closed loop. It adds nothing to your bike.
Hi Kuttapan, thanks for the concern, but I think you are confusing me for the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hey if it was smoking only for a few mins after the high speed run then it needn't be bothered. Well, the engine is not healthy as it should be but no need to worry at the same time. You need to worry only if it's smoking at all times. During extended highspeed runs oil can get into the combustion chamber if the piston rings (especially the oil control ring) is weak, or through valve guides.

The Questions were not for you it was to sort out the rich/black smoke condition of ron_9191's bike.
Cool, thanks. Just included the questions in case it helped explain if anything was possibly wrong with the bike.
Old 10th October 2009, 11:43   #33
BHPian

Engine running rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
@ Sudharma - Thanks a lot for that color chart. That was very helpful and kind of you to share it with the members.
You are welcome.
In older Bullets, the crankcase breather was directed towards the drive chain and the oil fumes oil the chain. The rubber tube ia called a duck bill.

I understand that now the crank case emmission is rerouted back to the suction to the cylinder to keep pollution under control. In you case Oil vapour from the crankcase is condensing in your Air filter. This will restrict the Air flow to the engine making the mixture rich.

It was not a problem for old bikes such as mine as the air filter element is supposed to be soaked in oil.

Anyway when you areat it, get your carburettor tuning checked/serviced.

Last edited by sudharma : 10th October 2009 at 11:44. Reason: Adding info.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Sankar -- that is really a very convincing solution. Now I have a few questions on your work around. Where is the oil catch can? Is that a small black can that you see near the left side utility box? Now if at all I drain that and clean that, do I have to fill it up with new oil inside that when I fix it back or does it get filled up automatically. My apologies if I am sounding dumb ;-)
A simple solution is to get yourself a good hose pipe and a blood bag from the chemist. The blood bag placed in the air box can catch the oil routed through the hose pipe.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 11th October 2009, 13:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
A simple solution is to get yourself a good hose pipe and a blood bag from the chemist. The blood bag placed in the air box can catch the oil routed through the hose pipe.

Cheers,

Jay
But first of all why soo much oil in the Air Filter? In theory, the oil vapours from the crankcase is supposed to be sucked back into the engine!. Something does'nt add up here.
Old 11th October 2009, 17:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
But first of all why soo much oil in the Air Filter? In theory, the oil vapours from the crankcase is supposed to be sucked back into the engine!. Something does'nt add up here.
Yes. What doesn't add up and what cause such a nuisance is the almost full/full oil catch can. That needs to be drained periodically.

And a good healthy engine shouldn't push too much/excess of oil mist out through the vent. If that happens then it's due to combustion pressures escaping into the crankcase which is due to worn out piston/rings.

Blood bag thingy is not the way it's to be done, oil catch can is doing a better job of the blood bag thingy. Problem is the can getting full. Vapors are meant to be sucked back into the engine and burnt.

Either periodically drain the oil catch can or get rid of that system alotgether.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
s.

Blood bag thingy is not the way it's to be done, oil catch can is doing a better job of the blood bag thingy. Problem is the can getting full. Vapors are meant to be sucked back into the engine and burnt.

Either periodically drain the oil catch can or get rid of that system alotgether.

Actually, I meant throwing the catch can away and retaining just the blood bag. The blood bag can rest in the air box making it easy to empty it.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 12th October 2009, 05:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Actually, I meant throwing the catch can away and retaining just the blood bag. The blood bag can rest in the air box making it easy to empty it.

Cheers,

Jay
The Blood Bag is a Band Aid solution. But the root cause of too much Oil getting into the air filtre is to be tackled. The situation seems to be abnormal.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Hi Everyone

I think I almost got my bike fixed following all your valuable suggestions. Here are the list of things that was done when i serviced it. And I am happy to say I did it myself.

1. Engine oil change
2. Clutch oil change
3. Gear oil change
4. cleaned oil catch can and trust me this thing was filled up with some slimy stuff. I cleaned up the whole thing and now its so clean you can use that for a surgery!!
5. cleaned cylinder head.
6. Adjusted the tappets as the were kind of tight
7. cleaned the carb and tuned it.
8. replaced the oil filter that was literally soaked in engine oil.
9. reset the clutch plates.
10. gave it a nice cool wash and polish.

And I am so happy to say that the lunacy is back!!! Thank you all!!.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:30   #40
BHPian

nice to finally hear some good news ! happy thumping man.
Old 13th October 2009, 07:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
And I am so happy to say that the lunacy is back!!! Thank you all!!.
"Congratulations".

Wear your safety gear.
Ride sensibily.
Never take short cuts (wrt safety).
Keep Cool and don't loose temper.
Say no to road rage.
Enjoy riding.

"Happy Biking."
Old 13th October 2009, 11:16   #42
BHPian

Hi Shan and sudharma! thanks for your wishes!! the bike's runnign gr8 now. 3 more things i got to do on it

1. change both the tyres
2. the front right hand side fork is leaking with a worn out oil seal
3. the cone and ball set needs to be replaced. Thank to the roads in Bangalore, I might need a Bowler Wildcat to drive around here.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shan and sudharma! thanks for your wishes!! the bike's runnign gr8 now. 3 more things i got to do on it

1. change both the tyres
2. the front right hand side fork is leaking with a worn out oil seal
3. the cone and ball set needs to be replaced. Thank to the roads in Bangalore, I might need a Bowler Wildcat to drive around here.
2. Change the seal on the bad fork and fill fresh oil in both fork legs.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:50   #44
BHPian

@ Sankar, thats on my list of things to do...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks