Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:38   #31

@jaggu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) Yes if the leak is major it will show some amount of smoke.
2) Yes but be careful, coz hot engine oil might spill on to your hands.
3) Not really, since oil is not that easily inflammable. Ideally do it before engine becomes very hot.
4) Usually the rings are the culprit.
5) No but oil can get burned due to leaky rings and the exhaust tip will become wet.
4> Once the engine is opened how to say that the rings are damaged?How is the chance that a new set of rings get spoilt within 200km of usage?
5> What is the exhaust tip?Is it the from where the gases escape the silencer?

6> If I get the engine reopened for a checkup, is it ok to replace only the spoilt parts(rings) ?Or a set of parts (even if only a few of them are spoilt) have to be replaced as the engine has been opened?
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:49   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shome13 View Post
SOME ONE PLZ ANSWER MY PREVIOUS QUERRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the caps but I am waiting for four days for a reply from anyone knowing about motorbikes & 4 stroke engines

First , you make sure that you respond to the people who have posted the answers .
Old 27th November 2009, 12:35   #33

The rebored bike has done 500km.I am getting some black smoke out of the exhaust when i ride for long distances.The mileage is only 45km/litre.The mechanic had told that the carbuereter is spoilt.

Is it true that if carbuereter is spoilt then black smoke may emanate from exhaust & mileage may be low?

Also after reboring, when should be the first oil change(after how many km) & which is the best engine oil for a newly bored engine?

Can a four stroke silencer be cleaned?Is it normally necessary to do so?
Old 27th November 2009, 15:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

^^^Black smoke from a 4s engine means you have serious problems. I don't think it can be due to the carb... Fuel efficiency can certainly drop due to carb issues.

After reboring, you should change oil after 500 km max; if not earlier. For newly bored engine I would suggest using the HH oil made by Savita or Tide Water. Later you can try better stuff like Gulf/Elf/Veedol/etc.

4s silencers should not require cleaning provided the bike is "normal". This obviously is not so in your case, so you might want to check how much gunk is there inside.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:48   #35
BANNED

Dude, honestly. Whoever worked on your bike is well... a proper and absolute (fill in the blanks) - i might get banned if i put that word on here.

Your bike has probably been so badly worked upon that the issues will never end.

And is this the same mechanic you keep going to? God save your bike then.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. Shome, you will keep coming here and posting problems, but your problems will never end.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

@shome13
No offence meant, but in your place, I would get rid of that bike and go for a new one now. No amount of tampering will make it perfect again.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1 )The rebored bike has done 500km.I am getting some black smoke out of the exhaust when i ride for long distances.The mileage is only 45km/litre.The mechanic had told that the carbuereter is spoilt.

Is it true that if carbuereter is spoilt then black smoke may emanate from exhaust & mileage may be low?

2) Also after reboring, when should be the first oil change(after how many km) & which is the best engine oil for a newly bored engine?

3) Can a four stroke silencer be cleaned?Is it normally necessary to do so?
1) Black smoke = another engine work required. This is not good for engine and you will eventually lose on FE even more. I am not sure if there is any problem with your carb.
Which mechanic did you visit ? The same fellow who worked for reboring ? Generally black smoke will not come out even if there is some wrong tuning in carb. I have fiddled a lot with carb and can tell you this. Black smoke + less FE = oil in combustion chamber.

In short, first doubt is not your carb, but some problem in engine itself.

2) Around 1000kms.

3) Why do you want to clean it in first place ? Best is to replace. When hydrocarbon is burnt, one component that comes out is H20. Here it comes out in vapor form. Slowly and steadily there will be rusting inside the silencer. So its best to replace rather than clean.

2-stroke will not have a big effect of rusting as they also burn oil with petrol, but this leads to choking ( in layman terms ) of silencer. This can be solved.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
+1 to that. Shome, you will keep coming here and posting problems, but your problems will never end.

well i thought this place was to discuss mobike problems, i am not here just for a solution to my problems,but rather to get a better insight into the motorbike mechanics...i thought i could learn stuff the bottom up way...i mean start from a problem and learn the necessary theory.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thats good! But what I ment was that the way you seem to be going about it seems to suggest that your problems may not find satisfactory solutions. I believe in getting stuff done right the 1st time. If you are experimenting on your bike, its a different issue...
Old 30th November 2009, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Mebbe when I'm 40 I might think different. But right now the thought of having to ride a Splendor makes me want to commit suicide...
IMO Splendor is a charm i have a 1997 model one which still roacks .Even though i rarely use it when i go to my native its charm is not lost .It has done only 34000 KM in 12 yrs and still has the punch . I am planning to bring that to Bangalore only worry is the cops and RTO
Old 30th November 2009, 12:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I'm sure it has its own charm, but all that is lost on me when it can't develop the surge to zip around and overtake the way I'd like a bike to be able to. Well, even my bikes don't it as well as I'd like, but at least they are not as "bad" as a Splendour.
Old 1st December 2009, 09:58   #43

before the engine was bored it used to emit white smoke,now it emits black smoke. What is the source/reason for the black & the white smoke?
Old 1st December 2009, 10:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
before the engine was bored it used to emit white smoke,now it emits black smoke. What is the source/reason for the black & the white smoke?
Black smoke = oil in combustion.
White smoke = gasket gone.

Now for white smoke, many opinions exist. If white smoke is coming only during cold starts, it means too much oil.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:23   #45
BANNED

Shome either take your bike to some mechanic who is ready to work on your conditions and pull out the cylinder get it rebore done at Vijaydeep JC raod and go for the next over size or just buy a new cylinder kit from HH showroom and be happy it wont cost you over 5K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks