Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2005, 09:22   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bullet Expedition by Bangalore bikers

This story was on Deccan Herald Metro Life yesterday.

Two of these nine are family, my first cousin and his wife. I wish them all the best on their adventure. The 1978 model Bullet they will be riding was also the first bike I learnt to ride in 1986.

Big on biking with Bullet

Nine Bangalore Bullet riders are off on an expedition to some of the world’s highest passes in northern India.

It is the heavy engine firing of the Bullet that drives men crazy. Nine riders of same feather have flocked together to go on an expedition to India’s northern most tip.

These nine Bullet lovers are going to cruise their bikes to the world's highest passes, including Barlacha La, Taglung La, Khardung La and Marsimik La (the highest motorable place in the world) at altitude soaring over 18,500 feet. They kick start their trip on the eve of Independence Day from New Delhi.

The nine bikers which include Anil, Pratima, Nishant, Vikas, Satish, Kartz (Karthik), Vishu, Raghu and KK (Krishna Kumar), will ride towards ‘Sasoma’ - the northern-most part of India accessible to civilians - beyond which lies the Siachen glacier and the LoC.

These intrepid riders have been into adventure biking since years and confess that the bullet will remain their life partner for years to come.

Most expeditions are done for a cause, but these riders don’t have any. It is all about adventure and the passion for cruising into different territories.

With a lot of preparation to enhance their endurance and keep themselves fit, these guys have undergone extensive breathing excersise and jogging.

Says Karthik, “Some guys have stopped smoking and drinking. All the bikes are stock, except Vikas who has upgraded his 350 cc to 500 cc for more power. The bikes have been installed with some stands to hold the luggage.”

Elaborating on the precautions taken, he says, “A lot of safety measures have been taken like tuning the bikes and planning out the trip. The riders are with their safety gears and we follow strict discipline on road. One man will lead the team and another will follow the entire team.

All the guys are good at bike mechanics and can handle any crisis. We will carry radio communication devices to stay in touch, additional petrol and thermals because once we are on the mountains, we will be detached from any form of aid.” Adds Anil, “Two bikes have already reached Delhi and others are on the way. We preferred this season because after September snow starts forming in the passes.”

Briefing on the tour plan, Anil says, “The first phase starts from Delhi and will traverse through Barlacha La, Taglung La, Khardung La and Marsimik La passes. These die-hard riders will have to brave the tough terrain and they are confident.”

The second phase will be from Sasoma to Kanyakumari - the southern-most part (the tip) of India.

The riders will traverse through Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry, thereby covering the entire North and West coast of the Indian subcontinent.”

In short, the journey is what their T shirts say 8B9R25D12S7500K300L1E (eight bikes, nine riders, 25 days, 12 states, 7500 kms, 300 litres, 1 expedition).

All the guys are experienced cruisers and Vishnu rode till the Rann of Kutch (Indo-Pak border) from Bangalore and back last vacation. Karthik and Satish, who are good photographers as well, will bring back the memories. Vikas, who is a self-trained Bullet mechanic, will keep the engines running.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th August 2005 at 09:26.
Old 8th August 2005, 10:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

I have done extensive rides on Bullets from Pune to Goa and Bangalore... nothing beats the ride quality of Bullets on highways.... the highest distance I have done is on a Scooter from Kinetic named Nova .... rode with 3 friends from Kashmir to Kanyakumari in 14 days..!
Old 8th August 2005, 10:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
I have done extensive rides on Bullets from Pune to Goa and Bangalore... nothing beats the ride quality of Bullets on highways.... the highest distance I have done is on a Scooter from Kinetic named Nova .... rode with 3 friends from Kashmir to Kanyakumari in 14 days..!
Yes, I know. I have read your initial posts on that adventure. Would you mind PMing your email or phone number to me, I'll pass it on to my cousin, he might like to talk to a veteran like you before they take off.
Old 8th August 2005, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Samurai:

Wish them luck from me.. I read the article and went back to my younger days.

I had a 15 year love affair with my Bullet until I sold it in 1995.....
Old 30th August 2005, 19:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, my cousin and his wife are back after 3100Kms of drive. They had to stop their drive at Delhi for lack of leave. The rest will continue until Kanyakumari and then back to Bangalore.

Old 31st August 2005, 06:53   #6
BHPian

This trip is truly Awesome.......anyone who gets a chance should go...
Old 31st August 2005, 06:56   #7
BHPian

Rover I have a 7 yr love with my bullet and its as strong as ever....even though I hardly get time to Drive it.....Samurai wish em luck
Old 31st August 2005, 09:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

The bullet in that picture is a 1978 model, it belongs to my mom's brother, he doesn't use it anymore, my cousin does.

This is was same bike I played with (imaginary riding) as a 10 year old. This was also the first bike I rode at 17, never can forget the cool sounding thug, thug, thug... during that first real ride...

And now it has driven the highest motorable road in the world thanks to my cousin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks