Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:23   #1
BHPian

TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership

My love for TVS bikes started from all the way from 1997 when I got a chance to ride the beast “The BOSS” Suzuki Shogun, and eventually brought one in June 1998 Black one, and she was with me for for more than 7 years and close to 1k Kms.The same time we had LML select for my dad but we sold her in 2000 and then a Hero Honda Splendor, which again I sold in 2004 end, then my dad started using my Shogun and you know how powerful the bike is and he used to cry about her mileage, so I started search for new bike for Splendor replacement, took the test ride of Unicorn and TVS Victor GLX,but just loved the smoothness of the engine and slick gear shift and am little biased towards TVS.
So finally decided to purchase Victor GLX 125 with Disk Break
The difference between unicorn and Victor was not much 1000 Rs.

Purchase:

10th April 2005 it was Gudi Padwa “Marathi New Year”.
On road Price: 54,500, Vijan Motors,Kalyan (Now Closed )
Color: Black with red stripes.
The only thing on which I was annoyed at was when I read the test ride report in AnutoCar India, the bike was with Tacho meter and with Engine kill switch. And when I brought the Bike both the features were absent and even on their broacher they have printed the same. Even had a small fight with the dealer for the same but of no use ,then spoke to regional sales manager but apologies for that but he could not do anything as its companies decision.
Now about the Bike:
Distance travelled till date on Speedo 44,000 Kms,but am sure it has done more than 50,000 Km as speed was not working for almost 10 Months.

Run In:

Done perfect run in for almost 1500 Kms.Milage used to give 50-55 Km/lit, and engine was butter smooth. Not much difference after first service.

Acceleration and Speed:

Don’t expect any miracles here, but fast till 80 Km/hr and after that you have to wait till ages till 95km/hr and fortunately if you got any slope you can cross magical 3 Digit mark, ,max I did is 106km/hr on slope. But ever good to cruse @ 70km/hr all the day without any vibration, it’s a perfect commuter bike.its hard to tell at 60 km/hr the engine is on or off its really butter smooth.

Engine:

It’s a 124.8 cc with compression ratio of 9.2:1 breathed by Micuni VM 19 SH carb. Pumping out healthy 7.16 kw of power at 7500 RPM and torque of 9.5 Nm @ 5500 RPM good low end torque.It a Vti engine and also has that Vti light also, it means whenever you leave the throttle the Vti stops supply of fuel to engine, but the technology is complex for the service centers. Engine has every good low end torque one can engage 4th gear as low as 20 Km/hr if driven cautiously without stalling.
Always stars at first kick, be it rains winter. And it rains heavily in Mumbai and my bike never got a shelter, she always stands outside in rains, but never complained. Sometimes I get bored of her consistency.
I will give 9 out of 10 for engine,1 deducted for the top speed, otherwise a flawless one.

Electricals:

TVS vehicles are always known for their good electrical. And this bike is no exception. She has a powerful Magneto of 90 W, which helps to provide brighter light at lower RPMs.
Never faced any problem in this department. Replaced headlight bulb after 4 years and battery after 3 years. Front break light switch was not working from day one so just removed that cable.
But city light is missing on such a premium bike.

Headlight beam is excellent.

Looks/Comfort/body:

One of the better looking if not the best looking, it has a big bike feel to it. And very comfortable seat and one of the longest seat very good for pillion. Bike has a very comfortable ridding position, with quality grips and switchgear. Never felt tired after ridding this bike.
Those who stays in kalyan and Dombivli know how bad the roads are here am sure we are having worst roads country. And I used to commute on this bike to my office which is 17 Kms from my home and that road was in such a horrible condition that even our office bus used to get bottomed some of the path holes. The stability, comfort quality of suspension is top class. Never even changed the fork oil also. Almost drove bike for 18 months on such a bad roads and in rains the road used to be muddy (some times gone through 6 inches of mud layer).
This is am telling you guys because, I know what has happened to my friends bikes (Unicorn, pulsers Zma’s) after just one year of ridding on our roads.
The bike is still not rattling except for the broken heat shield.
Special mention:
Am one of the victim of 26/7 and my bike was in 12 Ft water for more than 24 Hrs. And after 26th July I took my bike to local mechanic to remove water and cleaning, and to our surprise not a single drop of water went inside the fuel tank. Then he just cleaned the spark plug and changed the oil 2 times and once after 10 days. But my bikes headlight reflector lost some of its shine.

Ride, Handling and Breaking:

Never took her long for more than 200 Kms.But was comfortable but bit boring as it’s a pure commuter bike no thrill bike. It just rides as per your instructions; High speed stability is very good but hardly goes beyond 90 Km/hr.
Ride is plush and comfortable and very relaxed.Due to this I always criticizes my friend’s bikes for the ride and the manner in which she handles bad roads.
Breaking, stability under breaking is very good, even feel is also very goods, breaks are better than Unicorn and Karizma, when tested with my friends bikes. But frond disk pad fade is faster, I have replaced it 3 times already but used more front break and my disk has lines so eating pads much.
But pads are much cheaper 360 Rs only. And changed rear break liner once: 150 Rs.
Changed to MRF Zapper F at frond and Zapper Y at rear, very good tyres.
I have changed my bikes tube minimum 5-6 times earlier on OME tyres Dunlop one.Evey time my rear tyre used to get punctured I need to change the tube with it.

Servicing, Problems and Maintenance:

Warranty was for 2 years or 30,000 Km which ever was earlier with 11 service coupons.
Sometimes I use Bardhal petrol additive.Whih helps to keep bike in good shape.
Oil change after 3-4 K with TVS True4 Oil.
1. Not a single niggle except the Speedo meter problem, the speed gear lasts only 15000 Kms approx and it’s of 230 Rs.
2. Accelerator cable broken at 23,000 Km. 110 Rs.
3> Even my handle lock has given up, may be due to heavy rains need to replace whole lockset so avoiding it.
Am in love with this bike now am waiting for 100 CC scooter from TVS otherwise will go for Streak.(For City use)
And will wait till Auto Expo for any new launches and if not will go for RTR 180.
Wow completed my First ownership report on team bhp.Guys please comment on the review, all comments are welcome.

Last edited by parimal_g : 22nd November 2009 at 00:31.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:54   #2
BHPian

Pictures of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership-dsc01286.jpg  

TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership-dsc01287.jpg  

TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership-dsc03690.jpg  

TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership-my-bike.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2009, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) TVS gets the headlight good most of the times. Even that 60cc 2 stroke Scoty has got good headlight.

2) This was a good 125cc commuter without doubt. Bottom end torque is very good, but it came at a time when we considered 125cc as sports one. Wind 125 with probably the best, smoothest mill and best gearbox of any bajaj bike and 133cc Ambition created this image.
Later on Discover and other 125cc bikes made one feel that 125cc is a performance segment.

TVS was targeted at commuter bike segment and hence failed. Chassis dynamics were good too, but behind Yamaha and upto Bajaj level. One of the few bikes remaining of a time when 125cc was evolving and Bajaj had just killed everybody in 150cc and above segment.

3) I appreciate your bikes' realiability. My Zeus taked 10-12 kicks to start in winter.
And about speed, my Zeus hardly goes above 80. I have tried in 4th open throttle for two-three kms. In 5th also, open throttle for two -three kms, but the bike just wont corss 80.
What you are getting is quite good.

4) Your bike reminds me of my Caliber. The tolerance levels were high on this bike and was just amazing on any surface.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
TVS was targeted at commuter bike segment and hence failed. Chassis dynamics were good too, but behind Yamaha and upto Bajaj level. One of the few bikes remaining of a time when 125cc was evolving and Bajaj had just killed everybody in 150cc and above segment.
Hey thanks for the comments,

May not agree on the point the chassis dynamics are behind Yamaha,this chassis and shock absorbers are tuned more for comfort than for cornering and i have an experience of bajaj 125 exceed,Victor is far better in terms of refinement and stability.

And Caliber i agree one of my friend is still using his 7 year old bike without much of problem,really one of the best 115 CC engine.
Old 7th March 2014, 23:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Victo GLX 125 :Long Term Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
My love for TVS bikes started from all the way from 1997 when I got a chance to ride the beast “The BOSS” Suzuki

Hi, parimal, forgive me for tagging you along. But can you help me in finding the jet sizes for the VICTOR GLX 125, the pilot and main jet size in mm please, thanks.

Cheers!
VJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks