Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 18:06   #1
BHPian

520 Chain (Karizma Chain) Query

Guys i need some info on what indian bikes use a 520 chain?

I know karizma uses 520 chain; however it is the non-oring type, what i intrested is 520 O-Ring type chain

I want this for my YPVS.. any help would be great

Deepak
Old 4th December 2009, 23:36   #2
BHPian

Have you checked the P220 chain ? It should be the same size . I have a P220 , but I don't know how I can get the exact dimensions without a vernier calliper .
Old 7th December 2009, 15:55   #3
BHPian

None of the bajaj's bikes run 520 !!

Karizma boys are you aware of any upgrade on your chain?
Any clue what the new karizma is running?
Old 8th December 2009, 12:04   #4
BHPian

Some guy at XBHP.com is using p200 o-ring on his ZMA here... Don't know if they if they are 520.

You can alternately try DID chains available at Go for KRP.

I too want to change to o-ring myself.

Regarding @DeepakMenon's query, New Karizma is most likely running the same chain as old Karizma as they have chain covers as well.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
...want to change to o-ring myself...
@ may i know why pls?
Old 8th December 2009, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@ may i know why pls?
I've removed my chain cover. o-ring requires less maintenance without chain cover.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
... o-ring requires less maintenance ...
really? In our conditions, it turns sticking & noisy pretty soon. How? usual lubing wont work, the O-ring which keeps (supposedly) prelube inside won't let in most of new lube as easily & get some water there- rains or washing, rust forms in/ around rollers.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
really? In our conditions, it turns sticking & noisy pretty soon. How? usual lubing wont work, the O-ring which keeps (supposedly) prelube inside won't let in most of new lube as easily & get some water there- rains or washing, rust forms in/ around rollers.
Yup! Normal chains gets sticky and noisy pretty soon as well. My understanding is o/x ring chains needs to be cleaned with right chemical (some chemical/cleaning agents damages the rubber sealants and lubes will flow out or let grimes in). I don't see how lubing will get lube inside the joints in o/x ring that are sealed so don't see much sense in lubing them except for where the sprockets and chain come into contact. And yes, if lubes cannot get inside, then neither can dust/water.

As far as rusts are concern, my chain is still clean as new @ 10k . And I've been running without chain cover from third week of purchase. My neighbour's chain is pretty rusted. It all depends on maintenance. I lube my conventional chain once every week and remove chain and clean thoroughly once a month. Since conventional chains are not sealed, dust and grime gets inside the rollers which in turn makes friction worse. Chain cover does help some, not much. When I opened mine on the third week of purchase, I was taken aback by the grime. So decided its easier to lube open chain every week that 'opening the cover-clean/lube- put back the cover' every month(removing and putting chain cover is not fun at all ).

I don't think the world over uses x-o ring type just for the heck of it on open chains. Hoping that o-ring will help (Its the cheaper option against x-ring).

Last edited by kaynmantis : 8th December 2009 at 15:40. Reason: spelling
Old 8th December 2009, 16:32   #9
BHPian

Oring / Xring chains are better as they make less noise; elognate less over use; which is the reason i am intrested in it. The karizma chain cannot handle the power my bikes puts...

On lubing the chain; for any chain you should use a cleaner.. i use Motul chain cleaner and lube it with either Motul lube or better still Yamaha Dry lube which is avaible locally. These cleaners and lube penetrates the links and lube even the rollors hence no chance of rust if done every 1000 km in dry and more frequent in wet.

If you are in dusty condition use the Dry type as they do not attract dust like conventional oil or lube.. but is obviosuly expensive at 1500 a can..

back to my query...
Pulsar chains are not 520 maybe the guy changed the sprockets along with the chain.
I have checked DID and they work out to 6K for 120 links.. i want to find out if i can get something locally before i spend that money
Old 8th December 2009, 16:45   #10
BHPian

@Deepak: A friend is running p220's chain (need to add a few extra links as the length of ZMA chain is longer than that of 220) and its rear sprocket on his zma. I plan to switch to that setup once my current set is finished.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:38   #11
BHPian

@nav75: Ah! thanks for the info. This answered my doubt. Suspected that p200/220 chain may be shorter. I also heard of someone running stock ZMA sprocket on front and p200 sprocket on rear with p200 chain. If p200/220 chain is not 520, shouldnt this cause a problem?
Old 10th December 2009, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
@nav75: Ah! thanks for the info. This answered my doubt. Suspected that p200/220 chain may be shorter. I also heard of someone running stock ZMA sprocket on front and p200 sprocket on rear with p200 chain. If p200/220 chain is not 520, shouldnt this cause a problem?
Welcome.
I'm told that P220's front sprocket can't be fitted on zma. So my friend is running ZMA's front sprocket + P220's rear sprocket, with P220's chain to which a few extra links (from another P220's chain) added to it. He has clocked good amount of distance with this setup and hasn't faced any problems with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks