Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2005, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Upgrading Discover

Okay this is a normal bajaj tale...I purched a disco baby in June and with spoke, ES version and now there is a new Disco out with alloy wheels and graphics

Can I get the new alloy wheels and graphics may be by changing spares lik petrol tank & other 2 fiber parts?

Any idea if this is possible and how much much it would cost?

I dont want my 2 month new disco to look old
Old 16th August 2005, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

u can get those alloys as well as twin spring shocks,but its not worth investing on new graphics as the tank or fibre parts dont come painted,neither do they have decals on them.one has to paint them and put the decals which will be a shabby job if not executed properly.

but wasnt the discover available with optional alloys before?
Old 16th August 2005, 12:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
u can get those alloys as well as twin spring shocks,but its not worth investing on new graphics as the tank or fibre parts dont come painted,neither do they have decals on them.one has to paint them and put the decals which will be a shabby job if not executed properly.

but wasnt the discover available with optional alloys before?
It was available I dont know why did not go for it
Originall alloys are now costing around 4000K Bajaj now is it worth spending so much ?

Last edited by pingme : 16th August 2005 at 12:22.
Old 16th August 2005, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

dont think it is worth spending that much.but i dont think all Discovers still have alloys.i think only the top model has them,though SNS rear suspension is fitted on all models.what was the price of ur discover.

i think the one with alloys was somewhere around 43K+.
Old 16th August 2005, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme
Okay this is a normal bajaj tale...

I totally agree...Bajaj is making a killing in spares using marketing techniques like frequent upgrades....

Its up to you to decide whether to get the cosmetic upgrades, but do NOT go for the new SNS (or whatever its called) suspension....Its a marketing ploy on the part of Bajaj, thats it , nothing more...

Ananth
Old 16th August 2005, 17:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
do NOT go for the new SNS (or whatever its called) suspension....Its a marketing ploy on the part of Bajaj, thats it , nothing more...
No it is not a marketing gimik.there are actually two springs one inside another in red and black color.u can see it.

the purpose is both the springs have different spring rates.both work at differnet times(different loads)so when one rides over rough rurfaces at lower speed the softer spring allows for greater comfort.but when u bang hard on a pothole of hit a bad patch at high speed and a pillion is sitted along the harder spring comes into action.this prevents the vehicle from bottoming out and gives more comfort to the rear passanger as the bike does not bounce too much over bumps.
Old 16th August 2005, 21:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No it is not a marketing gimik.there are actually two springs one inside another in red and black color.u can see it.

the purpose is both the springs have different spring rates.both work at differnet times(different loads)so when one rides over rough rurfaces at lower speed the softer spring allows for greater comfort.but when u bang hard on a pothole of hit a bad patch at high speed and a pillion is sitted along the harder spring comes into action.this prevents the vehicle from bottoming out and gives more comfort to the rear passanger as the bike does not bounce too much over bumps.
I never said that it doesnt work. It does. But what it does can also be achieved with a single progressive-rate spring....What they have done is, they have reduced the progression in the main spring and added a helper spring inside....Check out the gap between the closer-together coils in the main spring, and between the same coils in a conventional rear-shock. You will see what I'm talking about.

Bouncing is solely a function of damping. Springs have got nothing to do with it.

Ananth
Old 17th August 2005, 10:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
I never said that it doesnt work. It does. But what it does can also be achieved with a single progressive-rate spring....What they have done is, they have reduced the progression in the main spring and added a helper spring inside....Check out the gap between the closer-together coils in the main spring, and between the same coils in a conventional rear-shock. You will see what I'm talking about.

Bouncing is solely a function of damping. Springs have got nothing to do with it.

Ananth

maybe.but i think there must be some advantage of such a setup.
Old 17th August 2005, 14:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maybe.but i think there must be some advantage of such a setup.
You are fully well entitled to your opinion. I just shared what I KNOW about this suspension, that's it. And I think there is no advantage to this setup.

Ananth
Old 17th August 2005, 19:32   #10
BHPian

Be happy that you got the last batch of disco! According to me that one rocks!! The stickers look crappy, the clean version was better looking. The stickered one makes it resemble ct100 graphics and its kinda sad. My opnion.

Go for the alloys (which were always available). The rear hugger is nothing but a gimmick, for there' no use for one. Had it been on the Unicorn, maybe it'd made sense.
Old 17th August 2005, 20:11   #11
BHPian

thanks guys, I will soon be having alloys at the time of 2nd service, but i still hate bajaj for their not so fair practice of quick upgrades
Old 17th August 2005, 23:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

see if u can find those alloys from a bajaj spares dealer.they could come cheaper than from the showroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks