Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 00:38   #16
BHPian

Guys - an impulsive pick...bought an electra 5S 2006 model (Dec model) with DB and ES for 62K bucks

I just went to Bells Road in Chennai and checked out few shops. One guy was very keen to sell me an electra 4S, but I was still checking out for electra 5S. The 4S did seem good, just that in the TD i ended up pressing the gear instead of a sudden brake, that kinda scared me and put me off!

Got 1 in another store, did a TD and was quite satisfied. The bike had done 16K on the odo (not sure if its true, i know meters can be fudged). I didnt have a mechanic with me, just went with my intuition (just hope to god i didnt make a mistake) and the TD. Bike feels smooth and engine has no clatter or leaks, just the clutch seems a bit too hard (even by bull standards). I am going to take it for a nice servicing.

During my ride back, I was not able to slot the gears properly (though seemed could do it fine in the TD). I kinda was not able to figure out what gear I am running on. Also I thought the bike kinda crawls in the 1st gear and is embarrasingly and dangerously slow. Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Electra 5s is 1 down 4 up gear pattern only, and I am pretty sure I was starting in the 1st gear only. But once bike picks up some speed, it is a breeze driving it.

Guys, your inputs please. My cam is having some problem, so no pics as of now :( but will definately post pics soon!!

Mods: Can you change the title of the thread to "Gurus: Got an electra 5s"
Old 21st December 2009, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your Electra Rahul! I do not have much experience with Electras, but the Bullets are kind of slow and sluggish at lower gears. A proper servicing might make it a tad fast to pick-up. As for the gears, I am sure once you get the feel of it, you would not have any more problems. Just ride for a few days. Happy thumping
Old 21st December 2009, 11:33   #18
BHPian

Thanks Gooney.

I am yet to zero down on a mechanic, trying to find thro' this forum and outside.

The gears I think is a different problem. Upshift seems pretty ok if i use the toe shifter, but while downshifting, the bike goes from 5 to straight 3 and refuses to go down to 1. There are loads of false neutrals between all gears. So, when i actually think I am at the correct neutral and try to go to 1 to start the bike on a signal, I end up going to 2nd or 3 rd gear and hence the slow take off. I need to get the gears and clutch checked.

But the thump is yummy on the stock silencer, just clean and not too loud and no other engine sounds.

Also, I see some soot deposit on the exhaust. Is that something I should be worried of or is it normal. There is no white or any dense smoke coming out of the exhaust though!
Old 21st December 2009, 11:57   #19
BHPian

True! RE bikes have a problem with false neutrals. Get it checked and fixed by a good mechanic. But in the end you have to "feel" the gears. Meaning, all RE bikes have a unique feel to the gears and after you ride for a while you will get used to it.

Soot is perfectly fine in the exhaust as long as no white/black smoke accompanies.
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:56   #20
BHPian

Rahul, Congrats! So you finally bit the bullet! The Electra 5s is a fine ride, with the smooth CI power delivery and the better shifting 5 speed GB. Just wish it came with the refined electric starter unit(denso) on the LB500. The starter on the Electra makes a helluva lot of noise!
I am not sure electric start will work fine if the bike is to be kept idle for long periods, you will have to use the kick start itself.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:38   #21
BHPian

Congrats Rahul! Happy thumping and have a great time ahead. Just please be careful with the mech that you go to. Welcome to the group .
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:01   #22
BHPian

@ Titus, Bantejas - Thanks guys. I am enjoying the crisp thump of the electra. I used to have a TB long ago, but this bike is damn neat.

Me too find the starter noise too much esp when I try to use it and even when I shut the engine there is a starter noise (not sure why that comes when engine is killed).

I gave my bike to a mechanic today, he was recommended by another tbhpian. I will get my bike tomorrow. My bike will have a basic servicing (change of oils, filters, etc). And some look into the gears because they dont slot in place at all. Mech said could be because of clutch problem or chain adjustment.

I did a pollution check on the bike today as it was required by RTO for transfer of ownership. But the reading that came was like twice the allowable limits :(. I hope nothing is wrong with the bike.

The main problem whether one buys a new bull or used bull, the tension is always there that the bike should not have any major issues
Old 24th December 2009, 09:55   #23
BHPian

Guys, my bike is back from service and is thumping great. I just look for opportunities to ride and infact do the longest route to any destination

I have a couple of queries -

- What is the ideal tyre pressure one must keep for an electra considering I would have a pillion many times.

- What would you advise for the helmet lock - to fix the plastic lock thing on the crash guard / rear backrest or get that cycle tyre lock loop thing to fix the helmet?

- I am planning to get a new helmet this weeked. Any recommendations in the range of 1.5 - 2.5K?

Thanks for all your suggestions friends!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks