Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 20:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Great effort, but greater effort needed by everyone involved in this project in realizing a need for a helmet. Not everyone can afford a racing jacket or boots, gloves etc, but at least plan in contingency to reach the CCU/ICU & not the basement icebox directly!!!!

Racing is good, the brains behind that is better, but please exercise basic safety protocols.

Last edited by svsantosh : 5th January 2010 at 20:31.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 07:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey, nice build. Can you share details of Sigma, where you procured it from etc?

And what sprocket were you using?

cheers
Old 6th January 2010, 09:39   #18

Oh, dont you worry. When ever I plan to ride the rocket(which I havent), I very much intend to wear my "racing jacket or boots, gloves etc". Thanks for the safety tip.
Old 30th January 2010, 19:41   #19

Took her out for a spin. The music sure did attract a lot of people .
Attached Thumbnails
My 1983 TVS 50 Drag Race Spec Build-17012010993.jpg  

karthikr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2010, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice! Like you enthusiasm.

Do you have an expansion chamber?
Do you really need the cooling fan. You can take it off like the bikes and unlock some power?
Is it 65 cc now?
Old 18th February 2010, 13:54   #21

@MPower : Thanks mate. The expansion chamber is from a track going XL and works like a charm. The engine builds up enormous heat, so I have to open up the clutch side cover every time.

At present I got hold of a OE sprocket and chain to set the bike up for a hill climb. The acceleration is something one has to feel (10 tooth more compared to the shorter one), hits a true 70kmph in no time. Have got hold of some Ceat rubbers for good footwork.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:23   #22
BHPian

Hats off to you for the perseverance mate! I just imagine the looks on the "executive" bike riders' face when this screamer flies past them.

Ride safe!
Old 19th February 2010, 19:48   #23
BHPian

OMG!!
this is in a way both the maddest and most amazing idea ever!! hats off mate!! 115kmph down the straight?? that is some serous speed!!
Cheers!!
Old 28th June 2010, 03:27   #24
BHPian

@karthikr: I absolutely love your machine!!! Burt Munro on a moped!!!

But seriously, nice effort. I've been thinking of getting a moped for a long time just so that I could fiddle with it. This thread is encouragement .
Old 28th June 2010, 16:25   #25

@All : Thanks

Realised, I hadnt posted any pics of my bike with the seat I crafted. Well, heres one.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1983 TVS 50 Drag Race Spec Build-copy-070220101041.jpg  

karthikr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 23:31   #26
BHPian

@Karthikr: What a bike. Like seriously. Cafe racer moped style. Have wanted about a moped like this before myself !!! I don't like the colour or the graphics though and would paint it white if I had the chance! I think this is the first ever moped I would like to voluntarily ride. But really, I love your bike.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

When I first seen the thread and pictures just one word popped in my head - "WHY?"

Now it seems irrelevant though. Lovely outcome. Its surprising how you have confidence on those little brakes.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:56   #28

@Gordon: Thanks. To answer your question, well, I saw a few track going XLs and thats that.

@All:
The brakes, suspension stiffness and other dynamics are all beefier than the faster track going XLs, so no problem there.

FYI: The track ones which true speeds in excess of 100kmph have the a much smaller front and rear fork and suspension to account for a lesser weight and are some 7-8 kilos lighter than mine.

I am 110% confident on my bike, for a yesteryear's expert moped racer had put some efforts as well, in this build. The TVS XL and XL Super parts are extremly reliable and are know to last longer, I know guys who use the same on their 14-15 second 2s and 4s Drag bikes.

Nothing except for the frame is stock on the bike and the dynamics of the bike were worked upon even before the engine was opened up to handle the such speeds.

Talking about the paint and graphics, it is factory original and I intend to keep it that way, until I find a good artsmen to do replicate it.
Old 9th March 2017, 15:21   #29

Re: My 1983 TVS 50 Drag Race Spec Build

Dusting up this thread for an update !

The old 2 stroke engine conked during a track day @ Kari doing speeds of 100+kmph on the main straight. But that was back in 2013. The bike has been hibernating in our first floor bed room

After a lot of thought I decided to plonk in a horizontal layout engine and shoe-horned a 125cc 4 stroke engine (yes 4 stroke). The plan was concocted much before the TVS launched their TVS 100 XL, but they beat me to the finish line. Nevertheless the fabrication/modification work and testing was intensive eating in more than 4-5 months.

The moped now has R15 rearsets to handle shifting gears and rear braking. The left lever is now a clutch which I am yet to come in terms to. A volt meter, tachometer and odometer with backlit led were all thrown in for good measure. The toolbox/airbox houses the CDI and a 12v battery.

Today the bike is all torn down and with a painter to get a new coat of factory color maroon.

Pics to follow
karthikr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 00:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 1983 TVS 50 Drag Race Spec Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikr View Post
After a lot of thought I decided to plonk in a horizontal layout engine and shoe-horned a 125cc 4 stroke engine
Pics to follow
All the best for the 2nd innings
Any modifications on the chassis to tackle the excess power? And any changes to the tires and brakes?
Awaiting to see the final outcome, especially what engine it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks