Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 19:08   #1
BANNED

Pls suggest a bike in 150CC category EDIT: GS150R Booked!

Dear All,

I am looking to buy a bike in the 150CC category in this month. My criterion are as below:

1.The bike should have a modern/sports look.
2.The mileage should be decent.At least not less than 42-45 kmpl.
3.The maintenance costs should not be too expensive.
4.The riding position should be comfortable.
5.I am interested in bikes launched in the past 2 years or recently and not looking at bikes launched more than 3 or 4 years back.

Certain other details which I would like to share.
1.The bike would be primarily used in city conditions.
2.My budget is under 75K.

At present I am thinking of the following bikes
1.TVS Apache 160 RTR FI
2.Yamaha FZ16
3.Yamaha Fazer

Please could I request the valuable comments of the members on the above bikes. Could I go for one among these and does this satisfy my criterion?(I think so but would be good to get a feedback/views from others).

Are there any other bikes which I should consider?

Cheers
Old 15th January 2010, 04:19   #2
BHPian

In your budget of 75K...there are a few good bikes you may consider.
Your options first...
1) 1.TVS Apache 160 RTR FI - Suggest you go for the carb version. The bike has vibe issues (sorted out to a great extent), good for city riding. Power comes at high rpm so you will have to rev more/shift more esp in traffic.
1.The bike should have a modern/sports look.- Looks are subjective...
2.The mileage should be decent.At least not less than 42-45 kmpl. - On sane riding this will give you expected mileage.
3.The maintenance costs should not be too expensive. - 50:50.
4.The riding position should be comfortable.- Short trips (or if you are less than 5'10) takes time to get used to.
5.I am interested in bikes launched in the past 2 years or recently and not looking at bikes launched more than 3 or 4 years back. - Satisfies.

2.Yamaha FZ16 - Good choice. But comes with some drawbacks. A certain crowd puller and a great looker.
1.The bike should have a modern/sports look.- Sure thing...
2.The mileage should be decent.At least not less than 42-45 kmpl. - Most users report a mileage drop after 10K kms (my friend gets 35-40).
3.The maintenance costs should not be too expensive. - a bit high
4.The riding position should be comfortable.- Short trips (or if you are less than 5'10) Good sports tourer as well.
5.I am interested in bikes launched in the past 2 years or recently and not looking at bikes launched more than 3 or 4 years back. - Satisfies.

3.Yamaha Fazer - Dont pay 15K extra for a fibre fairing with a pair of halogens....PLEASE.

You may also want to look at the P220 (80K on road, worth it.), HH Hunk (I use it, looks good, excellent comfort, mileage is 48+, cheap to maintain).
Old 15th January 2010, 07:16   #3
BHPian

I would recommend the Yamaha Fazer to you. Also take a look at the Hero Honda Hunk
Old 15th January 2010, 07:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, you've shortlisted the best bikes for your needs & firmly believe you've done a lot of homework before shortlisting too. I would start with the tech spec first & then go on with other areas. In that aspect, let me try to help you. Since the engine for FZ16 & Fazer are same, I'm going to categorize them as Yamaha - one & RTR 160 FI - two.

Yamaha has 153CC engine churning out 14PS@7500 while RTR has 159CC churning 15.7@8500. So here I would say its hardly of any difference. The compression ratio on both the engines are 9.5:1 so they are of no use for comparison.

Now the RTR comes with a FI while FZ16 has BS26 carbs, so slight improvement in technology for the money you pay to TVS. From what I've heard about the rear suspension, RTR hosts the best rear suspension in this country (MIG).

The FZ has a smooth engine (atleast that's what I heard from the owners opinion) while Apache still needs some refinement, also the wider tyres do a good job in terms of stability than RTR's rear. If you go by the looks, FZ has got the killer looks (even better than the Fazer). The monoshocks of FZ is another technology that you're paying to Yamaha.

Last but not the least, looking at the build quality, personally I feel Yamaha Motor India is better. If you were to consider increasing the power of the stock bike, then FZ/Fazer could help since Yamaha has a kit (for a whooping 56K) consisting of highlift cams, FFE to increase the power, otherwise no positives here.

Like you, I too am unable to provide you a suggestion. However in my opinion, if the bike is intended for highway use, you can opt for RTR & if its city, FZ/Fazer makes lots of sense.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you to steer clear of the FI variant of TVS and or bajaj motorcycles,
carb RTR160 or RTR180 is a very good motorcycle, so is the FZ/Fazer,

Take a longish TR(test ride) of both and pick one and yes do keep us posted
Old 15th January 2010, 10:47   #6
BHPian

@aargee: No offence meant but I totally disagree with you the way you have compared things just on specs printed on paper. What matters is how power is developed to the rear wheels in actual driving conditions.I used to be the same earlier comparing specs on paper,but in real world trust me it really doesnot work.I also didnot understand why youa are comparing compression ratios?I have seen similar Horsepower bikes performing totally differently in real world.One has good power but at the top end and the other is a sensible bike with a good low end torque.
Ok my 2 cents here:
1)Fazer,FZ, is all looks bike and does not translate into any performance.Maintenance is costly due to costly and not so available spares.Fuel efficiency falls to 35-40 kmpl quite bad for a 150cc engine.
2)RTR 160 Carb should be your choice.Avoid FI no mechanic would be able to service your bike if it has problems,not even many TVS Centres have the capability to service it.Also having a FI doesnot make much difference in real world,it just increases the maintenance costs.
My choice RTR Carb 160,if you have the money go for Disc brakes on both the wheels.(Thus get rid of replacing the brake shoes now and then and no need of opening the front and rear wheels for cleaning the drum).Bike will surely give you an average between 45-50 if ridden sanely.It has less maintenance,spares are cheap and available.Performance is mindblowing drive it once and compare it to hunk,unicorn,GS150 or any other bike in 150cc and you will know what I mean.One of the best bikes for cornering,excellent stability during cornering.All this with a great fuel efficieny,what more you want?You also get a lot of gadgetry with the bike.It real VFM.
Only point is that it has a sporty riding position which some people dont like.Its a matter of personal preference.Go ahead with RTR160 carb.
Old 15th January 2010, 11:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Dear All,

I am looking to buy a bike in the 150CC category in this month. My criterion are as below:

1.The bike should have a modern/sports look.
2.The mileage should be decent.At least not less than 42-45 kmpl.
3.The maintenance costs should not be too expensive.
4.The riding position should be comfortable.
5.I am interested in bikes launched in the past 2 years or recently and not looking at bikes launched more than 3 or 4 years back.

Certain other details which I would like to share.
1.The bike would be primarily used in city conditions.
2.My budget is under 75K.

1.TVS Apache 160 RTR FI
2.Yamaha FZ16
3.Yamaha Fazer

Please could I request the valuable comments of the members on the above bikes. Could I go for one among these and does this satisfy my criterion?(I think so but would be good to get a feedback/views from others).

Cheers

Please wipe out the FZ 16 and the Fazer from your list if you expect FE of around 42-45. You ll probably never see those figures real-world.

The Apache RTR 160 Fi is a great bike, if you could live with those little niggles and the handle bar vibes. It gives a great FE along with power.

Why not anything from the BAJAJ stable?

The 180 UG4 DTS-i?
The new upgrade is awesome and an FE of 40+ is reported.

The P220 DTS-i? U can even wait for the new naked version of the 220 DTS-i. U can expect an FE of only 35-40 though.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
However in my opinion, if the bike is intended for highway use, you can opt for RTR & if its city, FZ/Fazer makes lots of sense.
Not sure why you have said so and also no offense but most of the points in your post are just paper spec comparisons.

If you are ok with the sporty riding position, look no further than the RTR 160 Carb. It has good power delivery and does not have any issues puttering around at 35kmph in 5th gear. Mileage is in the range of 45-48kmpl if driven sanely. Looks are subjective, but atleast i have not seen any other bike in the 150cc segment which is as proportionate as the RTR series of bikes. Once you are adjusted to the seating position, you will not face too much of a problem there as well.

As already pointed out by others, FI would be a complex technology for the roadside mechanic to service and there are only few TVS authorised service centers which service the FI models.

Pulsars 150/180 have evolved greatly from their initial DTSi days. But still i find them to be pretty front heavy and not as easily flickable as the RTR in city traffic.

FZ might satisfy most of your points except for mileage which might go as low as 30 and hover around 35-38/40 kmpl max. Maintenance might also be a bit on the higher side.

Test ride the RTR 160 Carb and the FZ back to back. You can arrive at your decision sooner & hope the above points have helped you get the perspective of the bikes.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 15th January 2010 at 12:32.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:45   #9
BHPian

Why you are not considering RTR 180
Old 15th January 2010, 13:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
@aargee: No offence meant but I totally disagree with you the way you have compared things just on specs printed on paper. What matters is how power is developed to the rear wheels in actual driving conditions.I used to be the same earlier comparing specs on paper,but in real world trust me it really doesnot work.I also didnot understand why youa are comparing compression ratios?I have seen similar Horsepower bikes performing totally differently in real world.One has good power but at the top end and the other is a sensible bike with a good low end torque.

true, specs don't reveal much

Ok my 2 cents here:
1)Fazer,FZ, is all looks bike and does not translate into any performance.

not so true,it can leave all 150cc bikes behind, though i cannot say about 160cc ones
Maintenance is costly due to costly and not so available spares.

spares are on par with the current 150's

Fuel efficiency falls to 35-40 kmpl quite bad for a 150cc engine.

yes, she does give ~40kmpl

2)RTR 160 Carb should be your choice.Avoid FI no mechanic would be able to service your bike if it has problems,not even many TVS Centres have the capability to service it.

true again, thats why i asked to avoid the FI

Also having a FI doesnot make much difference in real world,it just increases the maintenance costs.

not so true, no starting troubles, no altitude sickness, i would prefer an FI motorcycle over a carb one, its the non ability of indian manufacturers to incorporate it properly, thats why we are seeing the P-220 sans Fi and so is the RTR 180

My choice RTR Carb 160,if you have the money go for Disc brakes on both the wheels.(Thus get rid of replacing the brake shoes now and then and no need of opening the front and rear wheels for cleaning the drum).

disc brake rubber too would require change, more often than drum brake shoes if used in wet conditions,
though the safet which comes associated with disc brakes can't be matched by drums, so go for discs

Bike will surely give you an average between 45-50 if ridden sanely.It has less maintenance,spares are cheap and available.Performance is mindblowing drive it once and compare it to hunk,unicorn,GS150 or any other bike in 150cc and you will know what I mean.One of the best bikes for cornering,excellent stability during cornering.All this with a great fuel efficieny,what more you want?You also get a lot of gadgetry with the bike.It real VFM.
Only point is that it has a sporty riding position which some people dont like.Its a matter of personal preference.Go ahead with RTR160 carb.
in short if you like your motorcycle revvy, like a sporty riding position(i prefer, dunno but helps me concentrate) the RTR range iss the one to go for,
if you don't like shifting too much, want the best combo of ride/handling and truly awesome brakes FZ/Fazer is the one to go for,
though i think whatever braking confidence the RTR lacks is mainly due to the pathetic tyres it comes shod with,
Old 15th January 2010, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
1.TVS Apache 160 RTR FI
2.Yamaha FZ16
3.Yamaha Fazer

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Your options first...
1) 1.TVS Apache 160 RTR FI - Suggest you go for the carb version.

2.Yamaha FZ16 - Good choice. But comes with some drawbacks. A certain crowd puller and a great looker.
You may also want to look at the P220 (80K on road, worth it.), HH Hunk (I use it, looks good, excellent comfort, mileage is 48+, cheap to maintain).
I agree with torquecurve with most of the points.
If you consider my suggestion then go for FZ-16. It satisfies most of your needs. The engine is refined and its fun to push the bike to limits.
I personally own an R15, and I think FZ will do a great job in everything. RTR surely has those vibration thingy but reduces at top speeds. Extra 15K for Fazer is just your wallet.
Other bike that can be considered is CBZ Extreme. Refined, low maintenance, FE etc.
As for Pulsars, I like the 150 one or 180CC UG IV. Stay away from the P220. Bajaj has done massive cost cuttings so you'll have issues later. My friend owns a P220 FI and list of problems is long.

Just my views, hope it helps.
Old 15th January 2010, 14:18   #12
BHPian

I would suggest FZ16 or P220 Carb, both falls under your requirement.
Old 15th January 2010, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Apache 160 RTR is a superb value for money. Even you can consider 180 , which looks and rides better than the 160. It's got one of the best meters on the indian bikes. Instead of Apache 160 RTR Fi go for a 180. It's got a crazy engine and pulls like anything. But it has it's own set of issues! The vibes creep in , the engine is a touch less refined and the tires are not up to mark. Even though brakes are top class , they have fading issue. Still it makes a strong case is you consider VFM and performance

75k budget remotely eliminates Fazer.

Lastly comes the FZ-16/S. One big plus point for FZ is that everything on the bike feels quality. Although it doesn't make sense to buy a 150 cc bike at a price where you get 180/200cc bike , still the quality on bike makes up for it. The fit and finish is superb. The brakes are the Best in its segment. It has got adjustable monoshock , widest rear tires. On paper it may look less powerful , but its torque makes it one of the best city bikes. It's light weight makes it a good handler. It's only on highway's that it feels a bit stressed on high speeds.
FZ makes for most of your requirements except for mileage which is around 40 kmpl.

Still its your choice, go and test ride all the bikes. Also look out for Suzuki GS 150, Pulsar 180,which are also good bikes.

ALL THE BEST.........
Old 15th January 2010, 15:27   #14
BHPian

I think you should ride both RTR180 and FZ16/Fazer and follow your heart.Fazer/FZ has a relaxed riding position compred to RTR which matters on long rides . FI can be tricky once it gets older, climate variations etc..
Old 16th January 2010, 10:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
I'd a different thought last evening. Why not consider the new Pulsar 135 LS, I came across positive reviews about this bike & Bajaj claims this bike as the world's first 4 valve DTS-i engine. If you're not a fan of Bajaj, then you can ignore, but in my opinion its worth a test drive.

Most Viewed