Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 21:49   #2716
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Nasir, If you ride your bike like you stole it, there are a lot of things it will not have.
Having said that, it's a thumper and should be ridden like one. One should make use of its unlimited waves of torque rather than RPMs......but you know all that, don't you

Too much of babying around plus incorrect alignments, torques of many important bolts also lead to trouble, which grows with time. It may need overall tuning to run like new
Old 18th September 2012, 03:34   #2717
Distinguished - BHPian

nasirkaka
I know you said you checked for looseness and it seems ok but did you check the 'head steady' that runs from the rear of the cylinder head to the rear fuel tank bolt?

It is not uncommon for that tubular piece to crack and if it does large amounts of engine vibration will result.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:05   #2718
BHPian

@Randhawa : Hi Randhawa,

Yes it idles fine while riding around.

I am posting my reply here as I am unable to send a message to you. I keep getting the message that your mailbox is full and you need to clear some old messages in order to receive new ones.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:38   #2719
BHPian

Help Required. Hello Guys, My 500 Sand Storm fuel pump has failed and none of the RE A-S-S have a replacement pump (Checked Mumbai Thane and Panvel). Turnaround time stated is a fortnight, does anyone know where I can source one from the open market. Name of the store / mechanic or phone number will do.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:17   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
Nasir, If you ride your bike like you stole it, there are a lot of things it will not have.
Having said that, it's a thumper and should be ridden like one. One should make use of its unlimited waves of torque rather than RPMs......but you know all that, don't you

Too much of babying around plus incorrect alignments, torques of many important bolts also lead to trouble, which grows with time. It may need overall tuning to run like new
Actually i have been looking for someone capable, who can strip the bike completely to every nut and bolt including the engine, check, clean, discard, replace and re-assemble it together. I really want to do that once before taking a critical decision which to sell this C5 and and go for the TB500.

And for riding style, when the bike is nicely warmed up, and on a nice wide highway, one should be entitled to feel the company claimed 130kmph once in a while. I usually do 80-90 on our highways, and whatever city traffic allows within the city. no babying, but not intending to do wheelies either. The point is i have always tried to maintain the bike in good shape to my abilities, but some niggles keep cropping every now n then. Now its the sound from the front shocks, and rear tyre kissing the fender with a pillion. Let me know if you have pointers to be looked at.

Quote:
nasirkaka
I know you said you checked for looseness and it seems ok but did you check the 'head steady' that runs from the rear of the cylinder head to the rear fuel tank bolt?

It is not uncommon for that tubular piece to crack and if it does large amounts of engine vibration will result.
Infact yes, but about 2 weeks back and it felt tight enough. once in a while i spend half a day cleaning and polishing the bike. after that i lubricate the moving joints, inspect plugs, and check for loose nuts, wires etc.

I get a vague feeling that there is something wrong with the flywheel which is increased the vibes noticeably. Could there be some relation between the two? Last sunday, i went for a ride along with a new UCE 350 and an old machismo AVL 350. I took turn and rode those two vehicles. The 2012 UCE 350 with 3.5K Kms on odo, felt like butter smooth in terms of engine, suspension and vibes. The 2005 AVL 350 was not as smooth, but much much better then my C5. My C5 felt like a tractor compared to those two. :(

I also get a feeling that the chassi is bent down(compressed vertically), which is causing the tyre to touch the rear fender, inspite of a new pair of rear shocks. I am saying this as i feel that i am sitting more close to the ground these days then before, with the same seat. Just my gut feel, wish there was anyway to check that.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 18th September 2012 at 13:19.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:15   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Actually i have been looking for someone capable, who can strip the bike completely to every nut and bolt including the engine, check, clean, discard, replace and re-assemble it together. I really want to do that once before taking a critical decision which to sell this C5 and and go for the TB500.

And for riding style, when the bike is nicely warmed up, and on a nice wide highway, one should be entitled to feel the company claimed 130kmph once in a while. I usually do 80-90 on our highways, and whatever city traffic allows within the city. no babying, but not intending to do wheelies either. The point is i have always tried to maintain the bike in good shape to my abilities, but some niggles keep cropping every now n then.
Nasirkaka, Well said. I can understand your frustration. I have owned 2 Enfields in Bangalore over the last 22 years including the current Chrome C5. I have had access to these bikes during my college days up north for a long time too prior to this. At all times the need for well-trained and dedicated hands to keep your bike in shape has been an issue (across the country). The way this bike is made, renders it unsuitable for intervention-free "relatively human-less" kind of service shop set-up of modern cars and bikes. On top of that lack of quality control and consistency by our RE factories adds to the woes.

I used to go to Mahboob Garage for my previous bike but bad experience led me to stick to Teknik for the C5. However last service was so poor that I got the bike without even chain lubed and cables oiled. The attitude was lethargic disinterest to speak the least. I had to take it to other Teknik in HSR to complete the service the next week.

Now I wonder where all the folks get their bikes serviced and are happy. No one seems to have a good answer to a query about good mechanics anywhere.

As far as niggles, they always remain. Mine rather trouble free C5 has its own niggles which I am afraid of taking to service center for as I am afraid if something else will go wrong in the bargain. Why fix it as long as it is working.

Having said all that, I have been consistently able to reach 125 - 130 (and a shade over) from the time I crossed 1700 kms. Not that there is a guarantee that it will do so always. Good for me, as long as it does. As long as it runs trouble free. Then I will worry about a mechanic.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:52   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Asif: It is possible that the rear fender (mudguard) is rubbing on the tire but a close visual inspection should show some evidence of the rub.

Because of the bolt clearances, the fender can easily be installed in a mus-aligned position. If this is the case, loosening the retaining bolts, moving the fender to a more centralized position and then re-tightening the bolts will fix the problem.

Another possibility is the adjustment on the rear drive chain.
If it is too loose or too tight it can make a noise when the tire passes over a bump.

With the motorcycle on the center stand and the engine shut off you should be able to move the middle of the chain down and then up.
The total movement should be about 30-50mm.
If it is tighter or looser than this, have a mechanic adjust it to the correct value.
By the way, if the motorcycle is resting on its tires and the sidestand, the movement will be reduced about 12mm.

While you are examining the area, make sure the tail light wiring that is located inside the mudguard on the left hand side is restrained by the metal clips. These wires are not always secured to the clips, allowing them to hang down.
If this happens and the tire rubs thru their insulation it can cause a failure of the tail light, brake light or rear turn indicators.
Thanks for the inputs. Have to check the bike again. Its gone for its first service and once we have it back will do a close inspection of the tyres.

The fender otherwise does not look out of place or mis-aligned.Will check again. The chain is perfect, as its was inspected during the PDI. So I would rule out that possibility.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:01   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Now I wonder where all the folks get their bikes serviced and are happy. No one seems to have a good answer to a query about good mechanics anywhere.
I have tried my share of mechanics in Bangalore. It started with Technik Indira nagar, Technik Iblur where as you mentioned the service was callous to say the least. Then I moved on to "Royal Bike Center" near Marathahalli who seemed to be only slightly better than Technik. Decided to try the brand store next. Any opinions/experiences with the brand store so far?
Old 20th September 2012, 03:46   #2724
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of switching over to a single seat set up on my CL500,which one suits it the best,the electra one or thunderbird one?.Not a fan of the looks and comfort of twin set up.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 20th September 2012 at 04:02.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:51   #2725

Good Evening everyone,

I have been one of the silent reader of this thread and well still haven't completed reading the same (95 out of 182 page) and that has been the case for the last 2 weeks.

Big thanks to randhava, nasirkaka, EssUVee (hope I have spelt it rite) and to many other guys who have still not come across the thread who have given their experiences on the Classic 500 and how they have got going on with the things on the beast.

I have bought my beast last October and till now it has run 6111 km (thats the tachometer reading rite now). Never have given me any problems till now. I am not a geek but still sort do all the small routine things cropping up.

Today had gone for a ride with my colleague and a strange thing happened.

I was cruising for a good 10 mins and there was a sudden loss of power. The bike was still running so thought it must be just one of the misfiring on my beast. (am using up-swept exhaust from day one). After riding it for 1 km crossed the signal and just saw on the MIL continuously on. Switched off the bike on the side of the road and started it again. The MIL didn't come on. But after riding it for 1 km it again came on with loss of power. The bike was still running. The low fuel light was blinking so refueled the beast.
After coming out of the petrol pump MIL again came on.

Downloaded the manual from the internet and checked the MIL indication for.

It just says that " X. ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION (EFI)
Malfunctioning Indicator Lamp (MIL) glowing continuously
(1) Sensor Coupler Loose Connection .. * Check for any EFI sensor coupler loose connection and correct them
(2) Any EFI Sensor Failure ....................... * Check & replace the same
Trouble Shooting
CAUSES REMEDIES
* Contact Dealer / Authorised Service Point"

Haven't done any mods on the bike other than the up-swept and the servicing has been bang on time at authorised enfield service centre.

Currently am posted in Assam (Jorhat) so have only one centre here which has opened just 5 months back. Hope they help me. (Most of the time they are clueless)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going through the PDF copy of service manual for classic 500 (not the one which we get with the bike.)

It says. MIL will glow continuous. Engine will start but not perform to its potential.
P0120 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning

P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning

P0195 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning.

So called up by service centre and explained him the full situation. I even told him about the three things listed above as they are the closest related to my problem.

I have to go there in afternoon today. Any comments about what I should be doing about it. (Well I still don't trust them with my bike but well not left with any options over here.)

Also I am riding the bike at leisurely speed for some twenty kilometers after the problem coz of work. Again will be riding it for around ten kilometers to reach service centre. Any problem with that. (I hardly have any options.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is in further follow up of the above mentioned problem. Still facing the same problem from morning. Probed a bit further by searching on the internet for the service manual of the classic 500.

The probable causes for the above mentioned problem were:-
P Code MAL FUNCTION INDICATION MIL will glow continuous.
Engine will start but not perform to its potential.
P0120 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) circuit malfunctioning
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) circuit malfunctioning
P0195 Engine oil Temperature (TE) circuit malfunctioning.

I have called up my only service centre here and explained him the full problem. Also told him what maybe the probable cause for the same from the service manaul. (I don't trust the guys here but can't help further as its always better to have something rather than nothing. Also have two months of valuable two months warranty left and really don't mind spending a bit as got the bike for around twenty thousand cheaper through canteen.)

Anything that can be done at home rather than taking her would be appreciated. Also will riding it further would complicate the situation? The service centre is good fifteen kilometers far.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2012 at 13:51. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:31   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
I have tried my share of mechanics in Bangalore. It started with Technik Indira nagar, Technik Iblur where as you mentioned the service was callous to say the least. Then I moved on to "Royal Bike Center" near Marathahalli who seemed to be only slightly better than Technik. Decided to try the brand store next. Any opinions/experiences with the brand store so far?
My friend from RTMC Bullet Club runs his garage near Audugodi - near the Bosch playground. I've been servicing my Thunderbird with him for more than a year now. He will listen. Try him. PM me for a contact number.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:31   #2727
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking for the below bar end mirror from royal enfield zone for my Desert storm 500, any inputs? will it be a direct fit?

http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/view_large.asp?Id=3708
Old 22nd September 2012, 12:44   #2728
BHPian

The stock front tires do not feel reassuring at all whilst cornering at slow speeds on wet roads. Is it just me or the same with others too ? Any suggestions on alternative tires for the front ?
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:00   #2729
BHPian

The stock front tires do not feel reassuring at all whilst cornering at slow speeds on wet roads. Is it just me or the same with others too ? Any suggestions on alternative tires for the front ?
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:25   #2730
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to change the exhaust system on my bike (2012 C5 Desert Storm).

I want to achieve a Loud (Not blasting loud though) deepbassy drum roll kinda exhaust note.

which would help me best.

1. GoldStar
2. Sans
3. Indori
4. Company upswept.
5. Old 350 type short bottle
6. Rocket
7. Megaphone

Also any experience with these? http://www.burtonbikebits.net/images...lencer-web.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks