Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 21:44   #1
BHPian

Honda Unicorn, engine overhaul done, costs.

I am the owner of a 2005 model honda unicorn. It has run for about 50k kms. I was thinking to sell this bike and take a new one and I had created a thread asking for your advice about which bike to buy. It was at this time that my my final year results came out and unfortunately I failed in a subject. So my parents decided not to buy me a new bike. Around this time i noticed a change in the sound of my unicorn and a fine knocking when I accelerate the bike after downshifting. I took the bike to honda authorized service center in my town( Johns honda, thrissur, kerala). According to them the engine has some problem and that there is some problem with crankshaft, piston and engine bearings. They quoted a repair cost of Rs 15k to 18 k. That was too much for me. I send an email to HMSI about this(asking whether this amount is justified). In response I got a call from the dealer after about 2 weeks telling that they could explain their quoted repair charges if I come to the showroom. I didn't go for that because as I was not having the technical knowledge for understanding their explanation.
One year back I had send an email to HMSI asking whether I can use synthetic engine oil for my unicorn. Within a day I got a call from their customer care that it is not recommended. So this time also I was expecting a direct call from them, as this was a more important issue. But this time I never got a direct call from them. Only an email that they are looking up into my issue. The contact of their customer relations officer was given in the email

Mohammed Hanif
Customer Relations
Tel: 0124-2291000, 9871890834, 1800 11 3434(Toll free for BSNL/MTNL)
Fax: 0124-2290891

I tried calling these numbers. But the calls were not answered.
It was around this time that I my cousin called me and told that he has got a friend working at Arya Bhangy Honda, Aluva, which is about 60 kms from my town. I took my bike there and I was quoted a maximum of 10k rs for the works. That amount was ok for me and I gave the bike for the repairs there. Today I got the bike after repairs. Total cost is about 8000 RS.
Here is the bill
Parts name cost(INCLUDING VAT 12.63%)
1 BEARING,RADIALBAL 98.00
2 ENGINE OIL 168.00
3 CONSUMABLES 24.78
4 OIL SEAL,20*34*7 12.00
5 O-RING,1.5*9.51 2.88
6 WASHER,12MM DRAIN 1.93
7 BEARING, ROLLER,30 266.14
8 BEARING, RADIAL BA 104.00
9 OILSEAL,16*28*7 9.6
10 GEAR,MAINSHAFTHI 290.7
11 BOLT,FAIRINGSETTI 18.75
12 RUBBER,MOUNT 28.88
13 LIFTERASSY.TENSI 214.00
14 GASKET,TENSIONER 35.00
15 VALVE.IN 125.20
16 GASKETIC HEAD COVE 9.0
17 CRANKSHAFTCOMP 2468.00
18 CHAIN, CAM(94L) 286.00
19 SEAL,VALVE STEM 53.99
20 GASKET, HEAD COVER 36.58
21 GASKETB, HEAD COVER 4.81
22 PISTON CYLINDER K 2141.75
23 GASKET,R.CRANKCAS 63.45
24 GASKET,L.COVER 34.66
TOTAL 6498.96

LABOUR CHARGES
25 ENGINE OVERHAULING 860.00
26 PAID GENERAL SERVICE 190.00
27 VALVE SEATING 269.00
TOTAL 1319.00
S.TAX 10.3% 135.86
NET TOTAL 1455.00
So the over all costs round up to Rs.7,954.00
fireblade007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:11   #2
BHPian

Hello fireblade.My bike is under service for the same issue you are facing. The complaint is exactly same. Complaint with piston and valves. Mine too is 2005 model, non self-start version. I have given it outside, and, lets compare prices. I have got a close friend who runs a Honda service centre. Ill update the cost and details as soon as i get it.
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:24   #3
ram17bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I am the owner of a 2005 model honda unicorn. It has run for about 50k kms. I was thinking to sell this bike and take a new one and I had created a thread asking for your advice about which bike to buy. It was at this time that my my final year results came out and unfortunately I failed in a subject. So my parents decided not to buy me a new bike. Around this time i noticed a change in the sound of my unicorn and a fine knocking when I accelerate the bike after downshifting. I took the bike to honda authorized service center in my town( Johns honda, thrissur, kerala). According to them the engine has some problem and that there is some problem with crankshaft, piston and engine bearings. They quoted a repair cost of Rs 15k to 18 k. That was too much for me. I send an email to HMSI about this(asking whether this amount is justified). In response I got a call from the dealer after about 2 weeks telling that they could explain their quoted repair charges if I come to the showroom. I didn't go for that because as I was not having the technical knowledge for understanding their explanation.
One year back I had send an email to HMSI asking whether I can use synthetic engine oil for my unicorn. Within a day I got a call from their customer care that it is not recommended. So this time also I was expecting a direct call from them, as this was a more important issue. But this time I never got a direct call from them. Only an email that they are looking up into my issue. The contact of their customer relations officer was given in the email

Mohammed Hanif
Customer Relations

I tried calling these numbers. But the calls were not answered.
It was around this time that I my cousin called me and told that he has got a friend working at Arya Bhangy Honda, Aluva, which is about 60 kms from my town. I took my bike there and I was quoted a maximum of 10k rs for the works. That amount was ok for me and I gave the bike for the repairs there. Today I got the bike after repairs. Total cost is about 8000 RS.
Here is the bill
Parts name cost(INCLUDING VAT 12.63%)
1 BEARING,RADIALBAL 98.00
2 ENGINE OIL 168.00
3 CONSUMABLES 24.78
4 OIL SEAL,20*34*7 12.00
5 O-RING,1.5*9.51 2.88
6 WASHER,12MM DRAIN 1.93
7 BEARING, ROLLER,30 266.14
8 BEARING, RADIAL BA 104.00
9 OILSEAL,16*28*7 9.6
10 GEAR,MAINSHAFTHI 290.7
11 BOLT,FAIRINGSETTI 18.75
12 RUBBER,MOUNT 28.88
13 LIFTERASSY.TENSI 214.00
14 GASKET,TENSIONER 35.00
15 VALVE.IN 125.20
16 GASKETIC HEAD COVE 9.0
17 CRANKSHAFTCOMP 2468.00
18 CHAIN, CAM(94L) 286.00
19 SEAL,VALVE STEM 53.99
20 GASKET, HEAD COVER 36.58
21 GASKETB, HEAD COVER 4.81
22 PISTON CYLINDER K 2141.75
23 GASKET,R.CRANKCAS 63.45
24 GASKET,L.COVER 34.66
TOTAL 6498.96

LABOUR CHARGES
25 ENGINE OVERHAULING 860.00
26 PAID GENERAL SERVICE 190.00
27 VALVE SEATING 269.00
TOTAL 1319.00
S.TAX 10.3% 135.86
NET TOTAL 1455.00
So the over all costs round up to Rs.7,954.00
My fiero 2001 model done 110000 plus kms had a piston problem which was replaced at a total bill of 1600 rs. Now my cousin who bought a unicorn in 2005 october upon my suggestion is facing the same knocking sound from his engine, I just hope that he doesnt get billed as much as you did. Did you try and ask about the repair cost at any other bike service centre apart from authorised service centre ?

Old 23rd January 2010, 23:26   #4
BHPian

HI Fireblade !

An engine overhaul at only 50 K kms ?! I expected Honda 2 wheeler engines to come up for such repairs only around the 100,000 kms mark, could you find out the reason for the same ? Is it a characteristic of the Unicorn engine or some problem with oil, fuel, etc ?
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

So much for Honda Quality! Was the bike abused?
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
1) It was at this time that my my final year results came out and unfortunately I failed in a subject. So my parents decided not to buy me a new bike.

2) I send an email to HMSI about this(asking whether this amount is justified). In response I got a call from the dealer after about 2 weeks telling that they could explain their quoted repair charges if I come to the showroom. I didn't go for that because as I was not having the technical knowledge for understanding their explanation.

3) One year back I had send an email to HMSI asking whether I can use synthetic engine oil for my unicorn. Within a day I got a call from their customer care that it is not recommended. So this time also I was expecting a direct call from them, as this was a more important issue. But this time I never got a direct call from them. Only an email that they are looking up into my issue. The contact of their customer relations officer was given in the email

Mohammed Hanif
Customer Relations

4) I tried calling these numbers. But the calls were not answered.
1) I have lost two years because of acedemics. Know the pain and if the bike goes wrong, then the mental agony is really high. I have faced this.

2) Remember one thing : More often than not, emails are treated as glorified trash cans.
The worst part of this is the way they act. The company will give a call to dealer and we again have to face the same thing. What if you have an issue with dealer ? You have face it again and their attitude gets negative after the email shots.

3) When the issue is critical, they either have dealer roped in or a mail looking like an automated system reply.
And many number never work.

4) The cost is about OK for Uni.

I will tell about my friend who bought red Uni back in around 2007. He was with me in my Physics tuition and I was against Honda, asked him to go in for HH. But he bought Uni. After six months and around 6-7K kms. his bike had lost power, and various noises were heard. My Caliber and then Zeus had better acceleration than his Uni.

He gave it to service center only to be shocked that engine was in bad shape. As soon as I heard this, I asked for details of his service etc. Noticed that this guy has not missed a single service and bike was under warranty. As mentioned by me, he was very careful not to take the bike over 3K rpm for first 1000 kms and 4 K rpm for next 1000 kms. And it was only after around 3K kms. that he was revving the bike to 5-6K rpm.

He used to call me mad because I rarely wash my bike and I am against just wiping any vehicle with cloth as the dust accumulated on surface can cause scratch. Yes, I am not very keen to wash cars and bikes. I admit that I felt bad for my vehicles after I saw vahanpujari 's Linea after he gave it wax polish. I cant do that.
But my friend's Uni was different, clean every time I saw it.

This guy was a smooth rider, and never crossed 50-60 even on open roads. His bike used to give him around 62-63 kmpl between approx. 2-3K kms. He had entire excel sheet record with him.

Coming back to warranty, he was not provided with warranty as this was placed under " Normal Wear and Tear ". The service center claimed that he used bike roughly. A joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
HI Fireblade !

An engine overhaul at only 50 K kms ?! I expected Honda 2 wheeler engines to come up for such repairs only around the 100,000 kms mark, could you find out the reason for the same ? Is it a characteristic of the Unicorn engine or some problem with oil, fuel, etc ?
A lot of Uni have reported issues. This is not the first case I am hearing. I have put one above.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2010, 00:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram17bhp View Post
. Did you try and ask about the repair cost at any other bike service centre apart from authorised service centre ?
I asked the repair cost at a local mechanic who is known to be quite good. He quoted me 6k Rs for the repairs. He told that he will resetting the crank and reboring with an oversize piston etc. I was not interested in such work. I wanted to replace the damaged parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
HI Fireblade !

Don't know whether its characteristic of unicorn to get engine works around 50k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes I have abused it. I had a notion that the engine was bullet proof. I had ripped it considerably .especially about two years ago when I used to take it to high rpms in every gear. That ripping phase lasted for 7-8 months. I stopped as I couldn't handle the fuel bills. Was only getting about 35-40 kms per litre. So I can't put the blame completely on the engine
Old 24th January 2010, 22:50   #8
BHPian

I am having a Corn of 2005model with 43,000 kms on the odo. I maintain the bike with utmost care but not mind going over 90km/hr, occassionally. The engine has not shown a single complaint till this date and there arose no need even to set the valve clearances. Only thing I noticed is that the bike seems to have lost some low end torque
Old 26th January 2010, 05:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) I will tell about my friend who bought red Uni back in around 2007. He was with me in my Physics tuition and I was against Honda, asked him to go in for HH. But he bought Uni. After six months and around 6-7K kms. his bike had lost power, and various noises were heard. My Caliber and then Zeus had better acceleration than his Uni.
My question is, even if you buy the CBZ Xtreme, Hunk and Achiver, how can you be sure the same problem won't happen, as they share the same engine as the Uni. Is there a design or a reliabilty fault with the 150 cc engine these bikes share?
Old 8th September 2010, 19:28   #10
BHPian

Unicorn engine overhaul

Dear All,
I have a 2005 May, Kickstart version of the Unicorn. I have clocked 50k+ as on date with brutish assault on the engine cos of long rides,tank high water logged subway wades, 115+ with a pillion, non stop for 30 mins plus and now I see oil leaks in the cylinder.I'm unable to do more than 90KMPH now,but yet it starts in a single kick and pick up is fine and the engine is smooth as ever. I dont want to part with it faithful pal and hence want to repair it with minimal interference to the engine. The service centers say different things. Some say the rings have to be replaced, others that the engine needs an overhaul with new cylinders and oversize pistons. I'm unable to fetch a few parts in the seat assembly and so on even from reputed dealerships and hence I wonder if they can get a decent work done even if the engine is overhauled-Its a 5 year old vehicle anyway.Please guide
Old 9th September 2010, 17:09   #11
BHPian

Whatever you do dont rebore your engine. Just replace all the necessary parts even those which will conk away in a short duration and get it done from a competent mechanic or otherwise he will screw your bike and your life like hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
Dear All,
I have a 2005 May, Kickstart version of the Unicorn. I have clocked 50k+ as on date with brutish assault on the engine cos of long rides,tank high water logged subway wades, 115+ with a pillion, non stop for 30 mins plus and now I see oil leaks in the cylinder.I'm unable to do more than 90KMPH now,but yet it starts in a single kick and pick up is fine and the engine is smooth as ever. I dont want to part with it faithful pal and hence want to repair it with minimal interference to the engine. The service centers say different things. Some say the rings have to be replaced, others that the engine needs an overhaul with new cylinders and oversize pistons. I'm unable to fetch a few parts in the seat assembly and so on even from reputed dealerships and hence I wonder if they can get a decent work done even if the engine is overhauled-Its a 5 year old vehicle anyway.Please guide
Old 9th September 2010, 17:34   #12
BHPian

Wait a minute, you see oil leak in the cylinder, where exactly ? is it through the head ? If you still feel that your acceleration is same and your engine sounds smooth, then why do you want to ment it. As long as you have frequently changed the oil at regular intervals and maintained it, I should see no issues with the so called misuse in your bike. Just go to a real guy, who knows his work. He can surely help you out.

As a previous unicorn driver I would say the same thing too never do anything to your bike's engine.
Old 9th September 2010, 18:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

50 k Km seems to be too early for an engine overhaul, get your engine compression tested with a competent mechanic.
Bit out of topic , I recently overhauled my Unicorn 2005 model front suspension , basically due to a oil leak from fork seal, after overhaul the handle seems to be vibrating a lot , I am regretting the fact that I have not got the job done at an authorized Honda workshop.

Since your Engine overhaul is in question I suggest don’t take chances.
Old 9th September 2010, 18:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
50 k Km seems to be too early for an engine overhaul, get your engine compression tested with a competent mechanic.
My Pulsar 150 Dec 2007 model has clocked like 17000km and during my last service the SA told me that my bikes engine will be due for an overhaul soon.
I was shocked but he said its kind of the normal life span.
There's no difference in the performance, it can still do like 105kmph but consumes a little oil. Like 500ml in 5-6 months. And apparently a little white smoke which I have never noticed.
Is there any other problem or is it really the piston rings and all?
Old 9th September 2010, 19:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
but consumes a little oil. Like 500ml in 5-6 months. And apparently a little white smoke which I have never noticed.
Well with regard to the oil consumption I would say its little bit on the higher side. Just check it with the service manual! How many kms do you clock in this time period. Is it like continuous intercity travel ?
One way to precisely nail it down would be to keep an eye on the engine oil consumption but then since yours is a wet clutch bike I would say better would be to get your spark plug inspected. Then when you are really sure its case of oil burning then try to get your rings and the clearances checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks