Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 15:02   #1
BHPian

Will all Pulsars be 4 valve soon?

I test rode the Pulsar 135 yesterday and as is the opinion of many others who test rode it, it feels more powerful and smooth than the 2 valve 150/180/220.

The main technical difference is the 4 valve in the 135 vs the 2 valve in the others.

Will Bajaj bring 4 valves to all its other Pulsar models as well?

What do you think? Any Bajaj insiders to throw some light to the future plans?
Old 15th March 2010, 15:54   #2
BHPian

Yes, i do feel that soon all Pulsars will be 4 valve, after they have set straight all the problems and niggles in the 135.
And again the Pulsar series will set a new trend, and everyone else will follow.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:09   #3
BHPian

The 4-valves per cylinder design is very common in cars and has been the trend for over a decade(possibly 2) or so by European manufacturers.

The design is now catching up in bikes and quite a few big boy bikes have em.

But ever since Bajaj has come up with the 4-valve Dtsi design, theres a buss that most manufacturers will follow suit.

But the question of whether it will however, is doubtful, coz if Bajaj could come out with the design, major players like Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki couldve pulled it off a good decade back with their superior R&D.

Not downplaying Bajaj's effort, but there must be something that wouldve stopped them from bringing the design into their Indian spec bikes.

But what id like to see is the longivity of the engine in the Indian conditions.

Fingers crossed and hope the design is followed suit in other bikes in the range.

I guess Bajaj brought it in their 135LS jus to check how well it performs and then pass the design onto the big boys in the range.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
The 4-valves per cylinder design is very common in cars and has been the trend for over a decade(possibly 2) or so by European manufacturers.

The design is now catching up in bikes and quite a few big boy bikes have em.

But ever since Bajaj has come up with the 4-valve Dtsi design, theres a buss that most manufacturers will follow suit.

But the question of whether it will however, is doubtful, coz if Bajaj could come out with the design, major players like Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki couldve pulled it off a good decade back with their superior R&D.

Not downplaying Bajaj's effort, but there must be something that wouldve stopped them from bringing the design into their Indian spec bikes.

But what id like to see is the longivity of the engine in the Indian conditions.

Fingers crossed and hope the design is followed suit in other bikes in the range.

I guess Bajaj brought it in their 135LS jus to check how well it performs and then pass the design onto the big boys in the range.
Actually Grafin, there may not be any good reason. It could be sheer complacency. which is one of the main features that mark Indian auto manufacturers.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:35   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin
I don't think that there would be any problems with longevity of the engine due to 4
valves. It's a proven concept although it may be a new concept for low displacement bikes !
Old 21st March 2010, 16:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I don't think that there would be any problems with longevity of the engine due to 4
valves. It's a proven concept although it may be a new concept for low displacement bikes !
What i expect to see is an increased life. I had a P180 '04 model which was a bit rubbish after 30k kms. So with this technology, id want to see if the engine performs the same a few thousand kms after purchase.
Old 21st March 2010, 19:23   #7
BHPian

I've just got my P-135, and so far it's been great. Butter smooth, great power (Didn't get the chance to push it though, have to run the engine in properly), the bike flew past 60 km/hr in a flash, and I had to stop there, gear shifts are butter smooth again, and the engine noise is very low. I at times cannot find out if the engine is running or not with my helmet on. The headlights are brilliant, amazing throw on high beam, and the mileage is very good, about 55kmpl.

The only drawback is that the bike is sort of small.
Old 21st March 2010, 20:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

THe 135 renders the 150 useless.

Overall I find it surprising that Bajaj put their latest tech on their cheapest instead of the opposite.
Old 21st March 2010, 20:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I've just got my P-135, and so far it's been great. Butter smooth, great power (Didn't get the chance to push it though, have to run the engine in properly), the bike flew past 60 km/hr in a flash, and I had to stop there, gear shifts are butter smooth again, and the engine noise is very low. I at times cannot find out if the engine is running or not with my helmet on. The headlights are brilliant, amazing throw on high beam, and the mileage is very good, about 55kmpl.

The only drawback is that the bike is sort of small.
Great to hear that.

Hows the braking and stability?

Its a bit small and the back end could've been designed to look a lil better.

Keep us posted with updates abt yr bike allright.

Cheers and ride safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks