Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator

Hi!

My first thread and hope it gets qualified. I have a Yamaha Gladiator (Feb '09) clocked 13,000 + KMs. I am having a wierd issue with it. The Tacho bounces between 1K and 4K while the engine is barely running, rather struggling and then it shuts off. This happens when I stop at traffic lights in Neutral and idling. The bouncing game happens for a few seconds.

Earlier I used to notice the idling rpm to be around 500 and at times (cold engine) the engine would shut off.

another thing, maybe connected is all of a sudden after 12K servicing, my battery died. It died when I tried the Button Start. On Kick-starting the battery was functioning well (neutral lights, turning indicators etc), but died the moment I tried the starter.

Cursed Alka yamaha (Vashi) and gave it for paid servicing at Pune - Wakrewadi. battery was charged and all was well. In one week I return for a week-end in Mumbai and try the starter (bike was parked for the week end) and there dies the battery. And the same evening the RPM dancing started.

Need help before I go tot the service station and also before I purchase the new battery. 9 AmpH ones are more expensive I assume.

Thanks in advance!
- Saurab

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th March 2010 at 14:33. Reason: Spellings!
Old 17th March 2010, 15:38   #2
BHPian

i think the RR (regulator/rectifier) is gone. any fused bulbs? are the lights brighter than before?
Old 17th March 2010, 16:29   #3
BHPian

No fused bulbs and brightness of the light is the same. The horn did seem to be struggling for some time. The thing is when I try the starter, the dashboard lights just die, and in about 20 seconds the neutral light lights up and the horn are back.

How much would a RR cost? My suspicions are towards the Battery and now, the RR. also I was worried if something with the TPS was freaking out.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th March 2010 at 16:45.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:32   #4
BHPian

For tacho bouncing between 1K and 4K I would first check the battery, then the RR unit.
Old 17th March 2010, 20:39   #5
BHPian

Thanks Vaasu and GregorV! The battery seems to be the culprit. it is a Minda. 1 year, 13K Kilometers of regular use and it died? Is this normal? Will get it changed tomorrow since I have this ween end runs between Pune and Kharghar (Navi Mumbai).

MODS Please delete this double post. Caused due to bad net connection.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th March 2010 at 20:48. Reason: Needs to be deleted - Double POST
Old 17th March 2010, 20:46   #6
BHPian

Thanks vaasu and georgev!
I shall change the battery tomorrow or day after since I have this week end runs between Pune and Kharghar.

1 Year, 13K KMs and MINDA battery dead, is this normal. No modifications done.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:42   #7
BHPian

Battery changed the very next day, all problems gone!.

Apologies for the late reply. Mods, could you please close this thread?
Old 13th May 2010, 04:04   #8
BHPian

Hi Exhaust,

Brother i am planning to buy another bike strictly for city commute from home to office
stretch of 57 kms in total

I am admitting that i always loved the yamaha's which is built to last and maintainability factor being on the lower side
(as heared from fellow yamaha lovers at work)

I am now pondering on what will serve me better a 2 stroker (rx100/rx135) or a
4 stroker (Glady/YBR)

***Out of all other bikes i have a weakness for the GLADY RS in fact i took a test drives at Kamala yamaha in Chembur & i had a Happy feeling with it ***
Requesting to ..Please share more thoughts about your experience with your
GLADY (all positives & negatives in case if i am missing them out already)

Offcourse I would love to own an electric Blue hue (FZ-s) variant which matches my PUnto's Shade perfectly

Also on recent launches in the moto industry, the cheapest 150cc bike (Disco) with good FE ...and 13 ps of power to push on while opening the throttle as and when required deserves a second thought.

My heart says Yamaha .. but my Head is going for FE+Money

Please advise , all comments from everyone will be worth respecting

Cheers
TND
Old 16th May 2010, 21:53   #9
BHPian

Yamaha Glady 15K Km - 1 Year review

Dear T-TND.

In My opinion and experience of 15,000 + Kilometers in City and Highways, the Glady is a Good bike. That said, you have to know what to expect. I mean there are times when i wished I had a R15 while on the highways, then I think if I had a R15, I would wish for a Ninja 250.

Looks-
Just great in the Yamaha Racing Blue. Other colors do not look as racy. I guess the while lines make the difference. Also it looks less "Commuter" than "most" other 125-150 CC commuter centric bikes.

Usability -
What I mean is the bike is 125CC and has it's limitations. But theu are seen only on the highways.

Coming to the city, I faced only 1 issue. The 1st and second gears are too short and have to be changed frequently. Apart from that NOT ONE ISSUE. 0-60 is cool (though not measured). Bike cruises at 60-70 easily. It is rev-happy so do not let the high revs worry you. Had a couple of times when I had to brake really hard. Bike held well. In 15K KMs have not been dropped off the bike.

NVH-
Noise level felt high at times., So I took some friends' bikes and tested it. It is actually not an issue. all bikes make noise and testing them from the HH Splendour all the way till the Karizma, NVH is very average and OK.

Mileage -
Highway Ripping at 100 - 45
Highway Cruising at 80 - 65
Mumbai City - Navi Mumbai - Bandra - 50-60

Ride quality-
I am happy. It is firm but not at all jarring. Soft enough for the city ride and firm enough for highway speeds and especially cornering. By moving your bum an inch forward or backward, you can get your best ride position too. seat is soft and good for a non-stop 2 hr run.

In the monsoons though it is risky to ride a bike, the Glady did not pose any issues regarding engine and also none regarding grip levels. Grip is as neat as you could expect from good quality all-rounder rubbers.

Electricals -
Good, bordering on better then most. Headlamp throw is pathetic. No probs in the city and I do not ride after sunset long distances. In worse case situation the lights will allow you to ride but best avoided. Tail Lamp, Brake Lapm, Turning Indicators and Dashborad lights are adequate and good quality. Switches are also good and usable.

Overall Experience -
I love the bike for what it delivers. I have grown to rely on it and in fact this summer every week end after comming to Mumbai, I say "too hot, will take the Shivneri back", but Sunday evening go out with wife for a ride and silently decide to take the bike back.

Frankly speaking, no complaints and no areas to ask you to look out for. It seems like a complete package. For city commuting ... Power-Mileage-Brand combination is good.

Note: Buy it from a Factory Showroom. Apart from all dealer discounts etc, you have excellent chances of getting another 3K discount (Dealer margin I assume). Also there was a get a buddy to buy scheme where you get a award of 2-3K. Get a Yamaha pwner to refer you and you ncould share teh award or have a friendship sealed further.

Some pictures taken on it's 1st B'Day. Apart from timely service there was no maintenance required. I do regular polishing at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator-spm_a0174.jpg  

Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator-spm_a0175.jpg  

Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator-spm_a0176.jpg  

Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator-spm_a0178.jpg  

Issues with my Yamaha Gladiator-spm_a0181.jpg  

Old 16th May 2010, 23:53   #10
BHPian

nice looking ride mano..

i can see that you are as mad as *some* of us when it comes to spit 'n polish!!!

stay safe and hope your problem's resolved soon enough.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:53   #11
BHPian

bite the bullet - Thanks! Just reach Pune from Navi Mumbai. Bike is as good as it always was . All issues listed were solved the moment the new battery was connected.

Read your post regarding the bullet. Me too dreaming for a CI Classic .. 350/500 depends on availability and costs. New or used, both are under consideration. I'd prefer a better maintained 350 than a ill maintained (older) 500. Whats your say on this?

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th May 2010 at 13:55.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:21   #12
BHPian

Need help again

My Gladi has done 20K KMs in about 20 months. I use it for Mumbai-Pune rides and some long ones too. plus, it is used in City (Pune and Mumbai). last 4-5 months I noticed increase in engine noise, more like metallic clatter. The things I noticed are -
- Engine clatter
- Some loss in power
- Lower mileage
- Decreased engine smoothness - sounds like it is working hard and grinding
- A low pitched humming sound from the wheels when I am coasting (like, as if the alloys are cutting through wind or the chain is humming)
- Earlier I would reach, in 5th Gear, 65 kmph at 5K rpm, 70K @ 5.5K rpm and so on, now it is more like 60 kmph at 5K rpm, 65K @ 5.5K

I went to the Yamaha showroom at Wakrewadi (pune) and they changed the clutch and pressure plates. It was OK for some time and now it is back to the same.

Last week I gave it to a local Yamaha guy for servicing and he tightened all nuts. The bike feel tighter but the engine smoothness is still not there and other symptoms are still there.

Starting is not an issue and idling is also OK. Need help as in what could be the issues and if anything needs to be replaced of refreshed.

Love my bike and want it to behave well too

- Exhaust_Note

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 15th November 2010 at 20:22.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Have you checked the timing gear and valves? Might be a good idea to get them check and valve's set to spec.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you checked the timing gear and valves? Might be a good idea to get them check and valve's set to spec.
Thanks for the quick response!

As far as I know they were not touched. But might have some wear and tear effects, will get them checked.

No I was relying on the mechanics. Will get it done tomorrow. Is it complex job? A mechanic near my home "was" a Yamaha Authorized Mech. but not has not renewed the certificate. Can I trust a person like him for this?
Old 15th November 2010, 20:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Exhaust Note :
I have a June 2006 Gladiator done 16k km till now.
The increased engine noise should not be a issue. It is there in my gladi too but I think it does not have any bearing on the performance.
I till now did not have a single problem except for the rusted silencer, which one day fell off on the road.
I luckily got a near new silencer from the service centre at less than half the price of a new one.
Oh yes, I remember, I had a oil leak problem from the front right shocks. That's about it.
Nothing else.
Does your bike has a tacho? it might be good idea to idle the bike for a minute after you start and see if it continues to behave erratically.
As jaggu mentioned above get your timing gear and valves checked, probably needs a little tuning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks