Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Preparing a MotorBike for Endurance Rally Class D (unmodified, stock)

Hey guys,

Initially I was very keen in competing in MARUTI SUZUKI DAKSHIN DARE 2010 event & now I am IN! I will be doing 2 wheeler category in Group D (stock class) in (4-Stroke, 80cc to 150cc) in my pulsar 150 dtsi (UG2).

Need help & support on few technical grounds.
  1. I need to know the best tires for the 60% tarmac, 40% dirt/gravel (probably on wet/dry, due to monsoon).
  2. I am also planning to fix a cheap on-board video camera custom fixed to take some action videos.
  3. Ride gear like, body armour, knee/elbow guard, riding boots, gloves, etc
  4. I also want advice on the best kind of
  • engine oils,
  • fuels,
  • additives,
  • spark plugs, &
  • anything that I missed.
I did a pretty good survey on the availability of the tread patterns, for both rear wheel, & the front tyre has a very less choices in tread patterns.

Rear tires suitable for the event application were Ceat Vertigo sports 100/90-17 Tubeless (Rs.1400), Ceat gripp 3.00-17 tube type (Rs.1300), MRF Meteor 100/90-17 tube type (Rs.2150), Michelin Sirac 120/90-17 tube type (Rs.2800), TVS Jumbo Poly X (Rs.1600) tube type.

Front tires availability was pretty lesser in choice, like MRF zapper (Rs.1200), Michelin (Rs.1600+180) + tube, Birla (Rs.1100+180) + tube.

Gurus advice, I need a all surface tires which could have better traction in wet conditions too!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 28th April 2010, 09:36   #2
BHPian

@tantragna,

I can only suggest on the tyre part.

Many TSD bike rallyists in Eastern India are using Ceat Vertigo for the rear and the review is that it is a good allround tyre with especially good grip in dirt (Bikers please advise). The front is a Dunlop brand which, the name of which i forget .
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:19   #3
BHPian

I don't know if its available or a 17 inch wheel but I'm currently using a Michelin T63 on my karizma which is a 110/80*18. It has average grip on road but the way it digs in dirt is crazy. It is classified as a Trail tire.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:12   #4
BHPian

Thanks NOS & Pratap, I was extremely lucky to find a 110/90-17 Moto D tyre for the rear wheel & the deal went with INR.2150/-.

Now I am hunting for a better tire for the front wheel for both tarmac & dirt.

Also brought from the same dealer a pair of mx gloves for 950/-, Knee/Elbow guard set (of 4) for 1100/- & a flexi mudguard for 400/-, totaling to INR.4600/-. Front tyre, riding boots & chest guard would set me to the min requirement for the run.

May be an another Moto-D with 2.75 or 3.00 - 17 would do the magic. Any of you guys find it in 17" tyre please inform me on my cell 9980130670, will buy it without second thought!

Just keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 28th May 2010, 11:41   #5
BHPian

About tyres,
  1. Got "MRF Moto-D 100/90-17" tyre for rear wheel, grip is good offroad, onroad it roars when brakes are jammed, stops well too!
  2. "Ceat Secura Sports 3.00-17" tyre for front wheel, grip is good offroad, onroad is also better, but handling is heavy due to upsizing from 2.75 to 3.00.
Apart from tyres, front fender is changed to dirt bike type & alloys painted in white to match the front fender. Tail light fairing & headlight fairing removed to avoid unwanted damages in case I take any fall.

Will take out the saree guard just before the rally after practice is through.

My Bike pics after the setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing a MotorBike for Endurance Rally Class D (unmodified, stock)-dsc003521.jpg  

Old 28th May 2010, 11:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

Best of Luck

someone i know is using a diesel engine oil in his Karizma albeit very successfully w/o any problems
Motoroids North South Blitzkrieg: June 2010 - Motoroids.com

how long would the oil-change interval period be?

^ i change mine every 1K and am using a semi-synthetic for R15 and mineral for Fazer

Best of Luck for the Raid good to see someone going off-road, how i wish i could dedicate a bike and riding gears for trail braking and sliding in mud till eternity
Old 28th May 2010, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
.....for the front wheel for both tarmac & dirt.

Also brought from the same dealer a pair of mx gloves for 950/-, Knee/Elbow guard set (of 4) for 1100/- & a flexi mudguard for 400/-, totaling to INR.4600/-. Front tyre, riding boots & chest guard would set me to the min requirement for the run.

Just keeping my fingers crossed!!
hi tantragna, can you tell us the place where you bought these? even 'm looking for good gloves and guards.

and all the best
Old 28th May 2010, 17:50   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your good wishes Sheel & Somspaple!

Please check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...thread-33.html for details on the riding gears, I got for my first raid event. The helmet & goggles I am wearing in the above photo was of my friend / mentor Mr. Kailash who is also in the background. After he scared the s*** out of me about the safety to my head since I was using a 5year old fiberglass helmet, I got a good one which is also updated on the riding gear thread. Please do check.
Old 29th May 2010, 19:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post

Will take out the saree guard just before the rally after practice is through.

My Bike pics after the setup!

I guess i saw this bike today. were you in hebbal area today ?
Old 30th May 2010, 17:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I guess i saw this bike today. were you in hebbal area today ?
You could have seen it @Livyodream, I was loafing around the 'MRF Supercross' event venue like a teenager , since y'day! Also I stay near to Hebbal (Sahakarnagar, to be precise) & roam around there as most of my friends are in this locality!

Last edited by tantragna : 30th May 2010 at 17:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks