Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 02:26   #1
BANNED

Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150

Hi Guys,

Few years ago when I was in my college 2nd year I had bought a used Pulsar 150.

The bike is a 2004 model and I bought it in 2007. Bike was in extremely good condition and I paid 30K for the bike at that time. Reason I did not buy a DTSI was the sound effect I liked the punch from the old normal Pulsar 150.

So those were college days and I was leading a 'college boy' life. The bike was used by anyone and everyone. Be it a friend going on a date or someone going to the Temple, my bike was everywhere. You can assume I used my bike only 20%, rest was done by my friends.

In this 20% of riding, I faces 3 scary accidents and 2 'not so scary' accidents and by this time I started hating my bike and bought a car. All the while my bike was safe, except to 1 when a drunkard hit me from behind and the silencer was touching the pillion seat like some super-bike.I also planned to sell my bike because accidents were getting frequent and I thought the bike is getting unlucky for me. Once, I went to the dealer and fixed a price of 20K. The dealer was ready to buy it and paid me 20K cash and I handed him over my bike and the papers. I was happy that FINALLY the unlucky bike is away from my life.

While I was walking back, looking for an Auto, I gave a last look to my bike and guess what.... I fell in love with it. I seriously never got so sentimental in my life than that day when I saw my bike standing at the dealer's shop alone. I ran back and handed over the cash back to the dealer. The dealer was an acquaintance and was shocked to see my stupidity. He could not believe my words that I wont sell my bike, but that hardly mattered for me, I kept the cash back on the table took my bike's key and papers and rode off. From that day I fell in love with my bike.

Though I was in love, I was also scared of the traffic after 3 big accidents already with twice I never even knew which vehicle hit me. By this time I had built in a habit of driving everywhere. I do 99% of driving and 1% of riding now. Riding only when I have to get meat for my dogs = 2KMs daily. Now the interest in bikes is reloading and I am trying to come to office by bike rather than by car.

To do the daily riding, I would have to re-build my bike in competence to the New age bikes. I am no bike expert and don't want to go and hand my bike over to the mechanic and ask him to do everything. I want to get all the parts and get it fitted by a mechanic.

Currently my bike has following issues:-
1. Bike turns off below 1000rpm. I have to keep it revving every time.
2. No question of Idling because it any ways turns off at 1000rpm.
3. Ride is too bumpy and it feels I am off-roading even on the new elevated highway.
4. Low FE = 30KMPL, but that is not a problem for me.
5. Pick-up is like a 100 CC bike.
6. I feel the bike is hard to control above 80KMPH. Also in high RPM.

Please suggest me mods and changes I need to do to make my ride a bit smooth and controllable. I am planning to pickup the parts from 'Gujjri' or genuine spare parts. For a matter of fact I know I have to change the shockers, but to which one? Can I put Karizma's Shocks? I am planning to change both tyres+rim+disc.

I am a layman and unaware of the technical terms. However, please help me restoring my bike. I would provide more info if someone wants, with pictures.

Sorry for the long post another thing which is wrong in by bike is, when I push the horn in ignition ON but bike OFF, the RPM runs up to 5000-6000rpm and when I release the horn, it comes back to 0

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th May 2010 at 02:35.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:11   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
3. Ride is too bumpy and it feels I am off-roading even on the new elevated highway.

For a matter of fact I know I have to change the shockers, but to which one? Can I put Karizma's Shocks? I am planning to change both tyres+rim+disc.
1. & 2) There is a small screw on the carburetor.Turn it clockwise to increase the normal rpm.It actually sets the air intake so your bike would not turn off while idling
3) You can put Karizma shocks provided you don't value the money you earn.Karizma shocks are twice the money for which you can get four pairs of bajaj shocks.

4 & 5) Get it thoroughly serviced.Clean the filters and stuff.

6) Get adjusted to the handlebar.After all you are human too and I guess all bikes become scarier post 80kmph.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:18   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Few years ago when I was in my college 2nd year I had bought a used Pulsar 150.

The bike is a 2004 model and I bought it in 2007. Bike was in extremely good condition and I paid 30K for the bike at that time. Reason I did not buy a DTSI was the sound effect I liked the punch from the old normal Pulsar 150.

So those were college days and I was leading a 'college boy' life. The bike was used by anyone and everyone. Be it a friend going on a date or someone going to the Temple, my bike was everywhere. You can assume I used my bike only 20%, rest was done by my friends.

In this 20% of riding, I faces 3 scary accidents and 2 'not so scary' accidents and by this time I started hating my bike and bought a car. All the while my bike was safe, except to 1 when a drunkard hit me from behind and the silencer was touching the pillion seat like some super-bike.I also planned to sell my bike because accidents were getting frequent and I thought the bike is getting unlucky for me. Once, I went to the dealer and fixed a price of 20K. The dealer was ready to buy it and paid me 20K cash and I handed him over my bike and the papers. I was happy that FINALLY the unlucky bike is away from my life.

While I was walking back, looking for an Auto, I gave a last look to my bike and guess what.... I fell in love with it. I seriously never got so sentimental in my life than that day when I saw my bike standing at the dealer's shop alone. I ran back and handed over the cash back to the dealer. The dealer was an acquaintance and was shocked to see my stupidity. He could not believe my words that I wont sell my bike, but that hardly mattered for me, I kept the cash back on the table took my bike's key and papers and rode off. From that day I fell in love with my bike.

Though I was in love, I was also scared of the traffic after 3 big accidents already with twice I never even knew which vehicle hit me. By this time I had built in a habit of driving everywhere. I do 99% of driving and 1% of riding now. Riding only when I have to get meat for my dogs = 2KMs daily. Now the interest in bikes is reloading and I am trying to come to office by bike rather than by car.

To do the daily riding, I would have to re-build my bike in competence to the New age bikes. I am no bike expert and don't want to go and hand my bike over to the mechanic and ask him to do everything. I want to get all the parts and get it fitted by a mechanic.

Currently my bike has following issues:-

Please suggest me mods and changes I need to do to make my ride a bit smooth and controllable. I am planning to pickup the parts from 'Gujjri' or genuine spare parts. For a matter of fact I know I have to change the shockers, but to which one? Can I put Karizma's Shocks? I am planning to change both tyres+rim+disc.

I am a layman and unaware of the technical terms. However, please help me restoring my bike. I would provide more info if someone wants, with pictures.

Sorry for the long post another thing which is wrong in by bike is, when I push the horn in ignition ON but bike OFF, the RPM runs up to 5000-6000rpm and when I release the horn, it comes back to 0
Your bike is mostly having electrical issues. Dont fret too much man.

Give it to Bajaj Authorised Service centre. You might get a BIG bill, but they are the ones who can put your bike back on road, in a roadworthy riding condition.

Do post pics of your bike, we would like to see
Old 17th May 2010, 17:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
1. & 2) There is a small screw on the carburetor.Turn it clockwise to increase the normal rpm.It actually sets the air intake so your bike would not turn off while idling
3) You can put Karizma shocks provided you don't value the money you earn.Karizma shocks are twice the money for which you can get four pairs of bajaj shocks.

4 & 5) Get it thoroughly serviced.Clean the filters and stuff.

6) Get adjusted to the handlebar.After all you are human too and I guess all bikes become scarier post 80kmph.
I have tried to fiddle with the screw which I guess is called tuning but no success. Have reported the issue to many mechanics but no one was able to identify the issue.

ok, I won't go Karizma Shocks now, instead will change the tank to the new Pulsar style

I was worried about control above 80KMPH because of the RPM usually a bike should have the capability to run at 80KMPH in around 3K-4K RPM, but for me, I have to keep it to 6K RPM for high speeds and then I see TVS50's zooming past me, and each and every person on the road overtaking me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Your bike is mostly having electrical issues. Dont fret too much man.

Give it to Bajaj Authorised Service centre. You might get a BIG bill, but they are the ones who can put your bike back on road, in a roadworthy riding condition.

Do post pics of your bike, we would like to see
I am a bit scared of the *** thingy because one of my friends have Pulsar 180 and he once gave the bike for repairing and some engine work. They almost replaced most of the parts and bill was 11K but now after a year his bike sounds like a generator

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th May 2010 at 17:16.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

The correct idle rpm is 1100~1200 rpm for the pulsar, for a cold engine. Anything less, naturally the engine would die.

For the service, take your bike to Auto Service. They are quite component and the best when compared with other service centres in Bangalore. But, sometimes they even goof up, but then what really matters is that they take up the issue and solve it somehow. This one is at BSK, opposite Advaith Hyundai A.S.S.

Popular Motors, near Sagar hospital is also good. I have had good experiences with both.

Quote:
I was worried about control above 80KMPH because of the RPM usually a bike should have the capability to run at 80KMPH in around 3K-4K RPM, but for me, I have to keep it to 6K RPM for high speeds and then I see TVS50's zooming past me, and each and every person on the road overtaking me.
This suggests that your clutch plates have worn out. Typical for a bike, handled by many.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 17th May 2010 at 17:28.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:38   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The correct idle rpm is 1100~1200 rpm for the pulsar, for a cold engine. Anything less, naturally the engine would die.

For the service, take your bike to Auto Service. They are quite component and the best when compared with other service centres in Bangalore. But, sometimes they even goof up, but then what really matters is that they take up the issue and solve it somehow. This one is at BSK, opposite Advaith Hyundai A.S.S.

Popular Motors, near Sagar hospital is also good. I have had good experiences with both.

This suggests that your clutch plates have worn out. Typical for a bike, handled by many.
I thought when the clutch plate is gone, there would be smoke coming out of the silencer, Since I haven't noticed smoke I was thinking the clutch plate would be good enough.

The engine will die below 1000rom, but why is is going below that? Idling means the rpm should be at-least 1000 without me touching the accelerator (also depends on tuning, which I have checked anyways)

Regarding giving it to a service center, I didn't want to. I just wanted to first identify all the problems, get the parts, go to a local mechanic, and tell him that I KNOW MY BIKe, you don't use your brains and just do what I am asking to. Till now, I simply used to handle my bike to the mechanics and they used to show they changed parts, and I wonder if they even did that. I always service my bike withing 5 months itself.

So for now, I have to change following parts:-
1. Clutch Plate.
2. Shocks.
3. Hopw would an FZ headlight look in a pulsar?
4. ????? What else guys?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th May 2010 at 17:41.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought when the clutch plate is gone, there would be smoke coming out of the silencer, Since I haven't noticed smoke I was thinking the clutch plate would be good enough.
No. Smoke coming out of the silencer means that your oil seals are bust. No relation to clutch plates here.

Quote:
The engine will die below 1000rom, but why is is going below that? Idling means the rpm should be at-least 1000 without me touching the accelerator (also depends on tuning, which I have checked anyways)
No. It doesn't depend on the tuning. There are 2 screws in the carb. One is for adjusting the idle, (a screw with a spring attached) and the other is for the A/F ratio.(golden in colour, usually). The idling screw controls the idle rpm, and yours should be adjusted.

Quote:
Regarding giving it to a service center, I didn't want to. I just wanted to first identify all the problems, get the parts, go to a local mechanic, and tell him that I KNOW MY BIKe, you don't use your brains and just do what I am asking to. Till now, I simply used to handle my bike to the mechanics and they used to show they changed parts, and I wonder if they even did that. I always service my bike withing 5 months itself.
Sometimes, an A.S.S is better than a local mechanic. And don't go by time frames or kms logged for service. Go by the feel of the bike.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:33   #8
BANNED

Ok, I don't find myself good in photography. I am among those people who love to get photographed Am rather lazy to click pics even though I love standing hours and posed to get photographed

I don't know how to use subtitles
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-bikr1.jpg  

Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-bikr3.jpg  

Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-bikr4.jpg  

Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-bikr6.jpg  

Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-bikr.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th May 2010 at 21:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed
Old 17th May 2010, 18:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding giving it to a service center, I didn't want to. I just wanted to first identify all the problems, get the parts, go to a local mechanic, and tell him that I KNOW MY BIKe, you don't use your brains and just do what I am asking to. Till now, I simply used to handle my bike to the mechanics and they used to show they changed parts, and I wonder if they even did that.
Ranjan it's good that you want to identify all the issue before going to a service center however intstead going to any local mechanic or a Bajaj center go to "Castrol Bike Zone" , search for it on internet and you will surely have one in your city.
My Brother owns Bajaj Discover and every service in last 3 years of ownership was done at Bajaj Service center and every time we use to feel disatisfied about it. We even tried local mechanics but no Luck there as well. Then someone suggested this "Castrol Bike Zone" , one service over there and my bike was like a new one. Good thing is that their charges are very less as compared to Bajaj Centres , and they have trained mechanics working over there.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:25   #10
BHPian

Hey Ranjan,

Dont worry dude, your bike is still rideable so not required to break your head!

My ride is a Pulsar 150 DTSi UG2 (2005), so can tip you on issues on a Pulsar without any hassle. Let me brief you about myself, I have been restoring bikes since I was 15yr old, and the latest is a Maruti 800 (1985). All the work is done with my very own hands & not by any mechanic (including tinkering & painting), so you can trust my tech capabilities when it comes to automobile (especially pre-2005.A.D 2wheels)

Since your bike is r.a.p.e.d by many riders during your college days, my advise would be that you get all the issues sorted phase by phase wise, else your bike would serve the purpose of second hand spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma
So for now, I have to change following parts:-
1. Clutch Plate.
2. Shocks.
3. Hopw would an FZ headlight look in a pulsar?
4. ????? What else guys?
1. The clutch plate issue - when it wears out, your engine revs up towards red-line while rear wheel does not move as much it does normally. (smoke does not show up at the exhaust when the clutch is worn-out, it is a different issue.)

Smoke appears when oil or incorrect fuel is burnt in the combustion chamber. Engine Oil is consumed abnormally, say after 500kms of running about 300-400ml consumption is abnormal. Currently my p150 is consuming about 150-200ml per 1000kms, so I have to start worry in the near future.

2. If you are not a 'Chris Pfeiffer' fan, then you can change the swing arm of your pre-dtsi p150 to a DTSi swing arm 7 nitros shocks (along with matching lengthy chain), which gives more riding comfort & stability at higher speeds. Pre-DTSi model is good for wheeling stunts, as it has less wheel base compared to the DTSi models.

3. FZ headlight! - anything you like, its your bike, your taste .

4. What else??

Say,
  • phase 1, get the engine tuning or engine works done. (Low power & FE says your engine is pending a good complete overhaul, like, reboring/replacing bore/piston, valve & timing works, crankshaft, bearings) Try & replace all the springs & washers of the engine, IN & OUT. Be prepared for a 4-6k bill for a good engine overhaul.
  • phase 2, get the electricals fixed, by now with so many years it would have developed damages & fiddled by incompetent mechanics. Costs like 2k including 7ah battery (for self start model).
  • phase 3, get the suspension work done. (say 2-4k)
  • phase 4, get the wheels work (rim/tyre as you wanted to upgrade, but retain the 18" rim dia so you don't have to break your head to match the correct transmission ratios). Costs varies with rapid pace with selected variety, say 3-6k.
  • phase 5, after all the mechanicals are fixed, get a good paint job, cosmetic upgrades to your taste. Dont even bother even it hits the 'Weird & Whacky Mod Jobs' thread.
Check this photo for some moral support to say that you are not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R

Smoke coming out of the silencer means that your oil seals are bust
A LITTLE correction my friend actually my pulsar & few of my friend's pulsars' idles at around 500rpm without dying within a minute, this also shows good tuning & engine condition.

Smoke from exhaust due to busty oil seals is only for 2 stroke engines & does not apply for 4 strokes. In 4 strokes, the fault is only with worn out bore/piston/rings with drastic loss in engine oil with little digits on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghBHP
Ranjan it's good that you want to identify all the issue before going to a service center however intstead going to any local mechanic or a Bajaj center go to "Castrol Bike Zone" , search for it on internet and you will surely have one in your city.
Good suggestion @SinghBHP! 'Castrol Bike Zone' is really a good place in my opinion too! They do give real good service to an individual taste, unlike the A.S.S as they have huge volumes to take care standardized service every day in/out who are more like a factory robots!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-dsc00759.jpg  

Last edited by tantragna : 17th May 2010 at 19:37.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Tune the air screw, check ignition coil, CDI, clean spark plugs & finally the clutch friction plates
2. Same as 1
3. Check your suspension setting & change if needed
5. I better don't say anything here
6. Give it to a Bajaj A.S.S & they'll get everything fixed for you

Nothing to worry on this Ranjan, its only a 6 year old motorcycle & its a 4 stroke & you'll be able to find all the parts easily & trust me if the dealer is good, they'll be able to get the parts shipped from Bajaj easily.

Don't use big words like restore, a simple repair from Bajaj A.S.S is suffice
Old 17th May 2010, 19:42   #12
BHPian

Check my bike too for more inspiration on the mods (actually I am preparing for an Endurance Rally, so the mods). Took this photo at a practice track near my place, I am lovin' it!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! To restore my Commuter my love..!! Classic Pulsar 150-mabike.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 21:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
A LITTLE correction my friend actually my pulsar & few of my friend's pulsars' idles at around 500rpm without dying within a minute, this also shows good tuning & engine condition.
Haven't heard of such a weird idling speed for a Pulsar till date! Would love to see your bike.

Quote:
Smoke from exhaust due to busty oil seals is only for 2 stroke engines & does not apply for 4 strokes. In 4 strokes, the fault is only with worn out bore/piston/rings with drastic loss in engine oil with little digits on the odo.
Yes, that's true. I missed that.
Old 17th May 2010, 21:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

This can not be a 2004 model, DTSi came in October 2003.
Old 17th May 2010, 21:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This can not be a 2004 model, DTSi came in October 2003.
The pics look like a Classic 150 with the DTSi headlight. But i remember picking up a 150 DTSi in Nov 2003 which was *My* first bike though i was hijacking the Samurai from my dad/cousin often before this bike. So a bit confused with the pics and the year of make mentioned.

Ranjan, as others have suggested, try the SVC or Castrol bike zone for the repairs.

Tantragna has laid out the points in phases very well. So first get it mechanically and electrically fit and then go for the cosmetic ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks