Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 22:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Converting Light Crank to Heavy Crank in Royal Enfield Standard Bullet 350 1996 M

K & N is a no for me, it not allows more air but also more dust. PERIOD.

No matter what the company says, this is what happens.

Upjetting your carb is of benefits only if it's a non-CV carb, can't do much in a CV carb.

Permium petrol again does not protect your engine from the effects of such silencers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Will that happen even is I do the other stuff like K-N filter, "upjet my carb" (I am not totally sure of this) and fill only premium petrol?
Old 12th November 2011, 23:06   #47
BHPian

Re: Converting Light Crank to Heavy Crank in Royal Enfield Standard Bullet 350 1996 M

Hmm... most of Punjab Bullets sound like these. So I though... I mean Punjab guys know their bullets.
I will certainly check back about the K N.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post

Ask your mechanic if he will give a 5 year guarantee on your engine. Doubt it.
1. Why should he when the company itself gives you a 1 year warantee, and NOT a guarantee.

2. Peoples English and terminology may differ, therefore the troubles in understanding what they are trying to define as 'what their mechanics have done.' As an owner of the new 350, all I can try and tell you is that with the newer crank, the bike strains- if it has to carry two people of about 150Kg total weight, you will find yourself downshifting all the time to conquer even the slightest of gradients.

3. Engineers of RE are good with whatever they are doing, but the bike has such diverse following amongst the riders of the world, that it will be impossible to make everyone happy with any one change or alteration to the bike.

4. Now what brings me here is_ i am tired of the way the new 350 struggles, and am searching for a solution- maybe it lies in the 'heavier crank,' maybe it doesnt.

I want the thump. Badly. And I hate the new 350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post

No matter what..
The thump is what makes the difference and that is due to the weight of the crank.

You will get the thump at the cost of top end, and also at the cost of better bearings and worksmanship to hold the crank down in the place of the earlier lighter crank.

Fuel, filter, settings, no settings, rider, no rider- nothing will help if you are chasing the elusive thump.

OK- i own a '10- 350, and am fed up with the way it has to slog to carry the hefty rider+pillion (combined weight about 150Kg+). The last 3 Km to my office is a slight up-slope and i will find myself doing 3rd or 2nd to get moving- its so darn annoying.

High speed runs are not on the agenda, and minor fuel average 'corrections' are not an issue either.

1. Whats the crank weight in the 350UCE?
2. Whats a good upgrade in terms of a 'heavier' crank
3. Whats the parts+ labour going to cost me?

First I would appreciate your answers to my questions.

Thanks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st December 2011 at 18:56.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:19   #49
BHPian

@ Hammer & Anvil, which 350 do you run? The standard model is said to have the heavier crankshaft of Classic 500 & hence slightly better low end wrf to rest 350's. Not just the Uce's even the light crank Ci's needs bit of an extra throttle input to pull happily. If you don't prefer it, try dropping a tooth on FD sprocket.
Imo, to replicate the strong low end of a Ci engine, the cyl head internals might need be copied as well in addition to crank weight & con rod ratio, and that is some work!
Thump has been lost to emissions & efficiency. oops, i couldn't help with your queries.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 01:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
The thump is what makes the difference and that is due to the weight of the crank.

You will get the thump at the cost of top end, and also at the cost of better bearings and worksmanship to hold the crank down in the place of the earlier lighter crank.

Fuel, filter, settings, no settings, rider, no rider- nothing will help if you are chasing the elusive thump.

KD
Mate, the "no matter what.." was in regards to the K&N filters, not about the heavy crank. Hope that clears the confusion.
Old 21st December 2011, 02:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

H&A:
I think your asking quite a lot from a 350cc RE carrying a load of 150Kg.

The heavy crankshaft will smooth out low engine speeds but it will do little or nothing to add torque or horsepower.

Reducing the tooth count on the small final chain drive will help with acceleration at the cost of top speed. Likewise, increasing the tooth count on the rear wheel sprocket will have the same effect.

If you really want to keep the thump and also have more usable low speed power the only solution is to buy a 500cc Royal Enfield.

By the way, my 500cc UCE G5 Owners Manual shows a Max pay load of 178 Kg.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 12:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@ Hammer & Anvil, which 350 do you run?
Its the 2011 Feb 350 UCE Classic- i dont know how else to describe it...

me at 85+ wife at (do the math) and 150+ isnt that hard a number to reach :-P

You put my hunt into some perspective and therefor thanks.

Maybe the 500 would have been my answer, but then there is no end to it, is there.

Thanks- Rennjit.
Old 21st December 2011, 13:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
H&A:
I think your asking quite a lot from a 350cc RE carrying a load of 150Kg.
By the way, my 500cc UCE G5 Owners Manual shows a Max pay load of 178 Kg.
From everywhere the answer seems to be what you are saying, so it now looks like everyone agrees that the new 350 is a 'weakling' - duh!

My problem seems to be that I am expecting more 'pulling power' than the bike can give. Lowering gears doesnt seem to be the solution.... Maybe I have to re-map my brains ECU for where this bike is concerned.

Which brings me to the topic- what do people achieve on changing to a heavier crankshaft? As it is my bike doesnt cross 105 (barely) and its no loss if because of the crank it wont cross 100... Will it do the 30-70 range better (is 'tractable' the word here?) than now?

On an aside- 17 years ago I did the run from Phoenix to Scottsdale to see Taliesin West on an old Ninja 600, inline-4, 4-1 Akrapovic exhaust.... short, quick and in the morning Arizona Winter sun- my breath still hasnt come back.

Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
... confusion.
Wasnt any.
Added a few more variables that wouldnt have helped.

KD

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st December 2011 at 18:52.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Didn't quite understand what you wanted to say, but let's leave it at that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Wasnt any.
Added a few more variables that wouldnt have helped.

KD
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 16:33   #55
BHPian

Just a weird thought, between a Ci350 Electra & Avl350 T'bird which one will have the heavier crank?

back drop for this query, electra seems to keep up with t'bird in acceleration & that the avl runs higher compression ratio of the two.
Old 8th April 2012, 00:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a weird thought, between a Ci350 Electra & Avl350 T'bird which one will have the heavier crank?

back drop for this query, electra seems to keep up with t'bird in acceleration & that the avl runs higher compression ratio of the two.
Even if there is a difference, it will be the AVL that is lighter. As for accleration, I own a Ci Electra and have a ridden a Tbird AVL as well as the A350 and have felt the accleration much spirited in those.
Old 20th May 2012, 07:21   #57
BHPian

@ tharian, i see that you own a 2002 Ci Electra. hope you got to compare i with later versions ie., post ~2005. Any differences in terms of ride, mechanicals. Or how is yours when pitched against the 'non-heavvvvy-crank' factory stock std350??

I'm infact looking for Electra 4s vs 5s comparison simply because the latter g'box have high reduction in first 4 gears but still the 5s bike doesn't seem to tug similar (if not better) wrf a 4s.
Old 8th June 2012, 23:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ tharian, i see that you own a 2002 Ci Electra. hope you got to compare i with later versions ie., post ~2005. Any differences in terms of ride, mechanicals. Or how is yours when pitched against the 'non-heavvvvy-crank' factory stock std350??

I'm infact looking for Electra 4s vs 5s comparison simply because the latter g'box have high reduction in first 4 gears but still the 5s bike doesn't seem to tug similar (if not better) wrf a 4s.
Yes, I have ridden a 09 5sp Electra. The first thing I noticed was the smoothness. Although it had a CI engine, it was too smooth to be realized. It can also be probably becuase it was a brand new bike I rode.

I do feel the 5sp has shorter ratios in the first 3 gears which makes it feel a bit faster than the 4sp. Haven't been able to ride a lot to confirm this wrt to a CI 5Sp. But I have ridden a 350AVL 5sp extensively.

The CI 4sp Electra in comparison with the old STD 350 are different . The power delivery, the feel, the smoothness, torque are all different. On a Electra, the power delivery is much smoother and it revvs quite freely compared to stop/go beat of the Std.
However, I have had a Std 350's take the lead at the traffic signal just with their torque.

If you ask me, I am happy with the choice I made in regards to going for the Electra than the STD in terms of failures which was only one, which was the CDI failing. As of now it is has crossed the 90k mark and is ten years old with no major or minor repairs.
One of the good ones off the assembly lines at REM I must say.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 02:35   #59
BHPian

Guys, I have a 78 Bull... What would be its crank weight??? My buddy's tracked down an old heavy duty crank (G2 engine's)... Need to know if the weight difference between the two...
Old 24th December 2012, 14:17   #60
BHPian

Has anyone tried a heavier crank conversion on a CL 350 / UCE Electra?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks