Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 09:55   #1
BHPian

Dull hammering sound from Suzuki Zeus. Is it normal.

I have recently acquired a used Suzuki Zeus 2006 model. I have serviced it and changed the Oil and Oil Filter. I have observed a dull hammering sound from the bike especially under load (riding with a pillion or uphill). It feels like it is coming from just under the front side of the tank near the headlight/fairing/meter assembly. The bike is smooth otherwise and fires well. Being worried I showed it to the Authorized Service center. They advised me it was the connecting rod /crankshaft assembly that had gone bad and would entail opening the engine to replace the crankshaft and bearings. Cost Approx 4500. I am apprehensive since these *** are known to play on your fears and suggest something to boost their income. I have test driven a new GS150R and found the similar clackaty sounds ( not the same) from the engine. It seems that sound is coming from the headlight/ meter/ fairing assembly when riding the bike. I rode my friends Zeus but it was in such bad shape that I couldn't tell if that sound was on his bike also. But he tells me that this sound is nothing to worry about and is/was on his bike when it was new or when everything was normal.
Is this a normal sound that you get from the Zeus Engine? Or is there a problem with the bike? I have a liberty to return the bike but have to take decision in the next 2 days. Zeus owners please help.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:24   #2
BANNED

I guess its engine knocking. Fill fuel from a reliable source.

Downshift on gradients or while carrying loads when this sound starts and check whether it goes away.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:32   #3
BHPian

I think it is not knocking. Knocking normally produces a clanging sound which is noticeable immediately. This dull hammering sound is not noticable immediately, you have to concentrate to notice it but it can be felt on the handle bars. I must mention that this a bike repossessed by the bank for not paying EMI so I don't know how it was used or abused. Odometer read 7000kms but it was dead and there is no way of knowing how many kilometers it was actually used.
I just want to know if this sound is characteristic of all Zeus engine/bikes.
If it is, my mind will be at rest.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:16   #4
BHPian

the service centre seems to be right that it may indeed be con rod noise as the same gets stressed more when subjected to higher load such as climbing uphill so even if there is a small play the same would show up immediately.

However I suggest you also check your timing chain condition as excessive play leads teh same slapping the tensioner which consequently hits the surrounding, thus producing a similar noise. Also check for any loose fittings/fairings etc which might resonate at given engine rpm vibes

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 24th June 2010 at 15:19.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Spotty - Connecting rod noise is felt when you over throttle or provide more stress to the engine. I'm sure you would've checked for tappet noises & sure that its not tappet noise.

By the way, how much have you clocked on ODO?

To give you another dimension to test, take a test ride with Zeus with the showroom vehicle & observe the noise. If it comes (you're lucky) ask the salesman what the sound is all about & probably you can get a lead from here. I'm sure you'll not approach the same service centre/show room, who gave you the opinion to change the conrod & crankshaft assy.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Get the bike up gradient. Something like a flyover but with no traffic.

Ride down with engine off and gear in neutral.

Check if you are getting any sound from the headlight assembly area as the the other noise source the engine is not involved.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:04   #7
BHPian

Guys since the sound is coming from the top of the engine block could it be the valves or the lifters? I don't think it is the con rod since the sound does not come from the from the bottom end of the engine rather from the top just below the tank.
Does it require a valve adjustment? Please advice
Old 25th June 2010, 10:11   #8
BHPian

"Wooshing" or air sucking sound is also heard in addition

[quote=aargee;1951973] "I'm sure you would've checked for tappet noises & sure that its not tappet noise."
I did not quite get what you are saying.

Like I have said in my previous post I think the sound is coming from the Top End of the engine. Could the Valves/Tappets create such a sound. In addition there is wooshing or air sucking sound that is also heard at all times ( idling or at all revs). Would this give any clue as to what is the cause of this sound.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Spotty- If the bigend/con rod bearing develops excess play then you will get the noise as you described. Speaking from my own experience with C5 which had the similar kind of noise. But it will seem to you as if coming from the top. Try to observe on idle and also by giving some acceleration that where the noise is coming from.

The sucking, whooshing noise is probably due to the engine oil pump. It should go away once you get the oil and filter changed. Nothing to worry about this one.

Also try as Spitfire and aagree says.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have May 2007 Zeus with 15K on Odo. There is some sound + misfiring. At around 4K, the rpm will not stay constant, and when one focuses on the exhaust note, clearly there is misfire.

But other than that, the overall quality is not so good, so it could be some thing lose. If the noise is coming only when engine is in operation, then also check valves. Zeus and Heat require frequent valve adjustment, and generally the service center do the adjustment when engine is hot which leads to further issue.

Earlier Zeus and heat require early overhaul. I came to know this when one Police officer ( who was at the service center to get his bike serviced ) managed to extract some information from SA. He told me the same when I was complaining a lot about unstable idling.

1) Get the valve adjustment done. The best way to diagnose is unstable idling. If your bike has unstable idling, then mostly valve adjustment is needed.

2) Put the bike on main stand, start the engine and if the sound is coming, then you *** is correct.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:28   #11
BHPian

Thanks everybody for your replies and attention.

Aagoswami the engine is not misfiring at all. In fact it fires very well and there is no starting problem also.At idle and on the center stand the noise is not there besides the 'wooshing /air sucking sound". The dull hammering sound is only audible/ felt when the bike is in motion.
Is your bike smooth and refined like a HH bike or does it make more sound. I found Suzuki ( Zeus & GS150R) engines more noiser and making clackaty sounds than say the Unicorn. I am not talking about the exhaust sound here on the sound heard near the engine.
What was the problem with the early Zeus bikes and what is the approx cost to fix it?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:30   #12
BHPian

Oil Strainer Screen Position in Zeus

Guys where is the "engine oil strainer screen" located in the Zeus.
Can it be accessed and cleaned by the user?
How do we check if the oil pump is working and all the oil passages are clean and the valves are getting properly lubricated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks