Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 01:18   #1
BHPian

Hero Honda Splendor Clutch Issues

My 1999 Splendor has clocked 52 K kms and off late there was a chatter in the clutch (the typical half clutch noise). I got the clutch replaced (friction plates and steel plates) and the noise went off. However, the countershaft bearing developed a noise and had to be replaced soon after. Since the engine and gearbox were opened up, i got the main shaft bearing changed too. So the bike now has new clutch and new bearings.
After all this and refitment, i felt the gear shifting (downshifting particularly) hard. I drove it for a couple of weeks assuming that it was the clutch break-in period and gave it for service citing the stiffness in the gear shifting. The clutch was reopened and fixed and the stiffness reduced by a considerable amount. The upward shift is as smooth as it was earlier, however i have observed the following and i would need your expert advise to figure out what might be wrong. I plan to get the clutch adjusted just one more time but with the esteemed advise of the team-bhp gurus. The gears were as smooth as butter before this was done.
1. When i engage the 1st gear and release the clutch gradually, i feel that the clutch is "sticking" a little bit and gentle vibrations as the bike rises from the halt.
2. When I downshift ( i always do it at the correct rpm so that there is no "clang" from the gearbox), sometimes the gear sticks to the 3rd or the second and does not come to neutral. No amount of lever tappinghelps. However when i raise the engine rpm by just a little, with the clutch released by a fraction, the shift happens but with a gentle "thak" in the gearbox much to my annoyance. (I am the kind who would drive a bike with a perfect gearbox else leave it at home....). I feel the clutch is not disengaging properly when i press the clutch lever.
3. In stop and go traffic, i can feel the bike jerking and a little discomfort in shifting gears.

What could be wrong and what do i do to get my driving pleasure back. Is there a place you guys recommend that i take my bike to? Is there something that you recommend i tell my mechanic (who is pretty good i know). Is this the "clutch break-in" i am experiencing?

The engine still runs like a gun and i have taken great care of it. The bike has Michelins and a new T-Stem overhaul. No other problems in my bike in the last 11 yrs.
Old 8th July 2010, 21:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am no guru and while you wait for the gurus to comment on the troubles you are facing, I can shed some light on point no. 1.
This was the exact symptom I faced when taking delivery of a HH Splendor recently for one of the family members. The clutch used to stick in 1st gear, in fact all the gears for the distance from the showroom to our house. I used the bike for about 250kms and it was the same. When asked at the SC, they said it would be like that for first 1000 kms and after that they can adjust it etc. Well i did not use it after that and the bike has now done about 2000kms. My cousin and uncle who use the bike said that its better now and does not stick like it used to after the first service.
So it could be the clutch break-in but the other symptoms seem to point otherwise. So lets wait for the more knowledgeable folks to answer you!
Old 8th July 2010, 23:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Though not with Splendour, I've experienced this hardness in gear shift due to issues with the main gear axle. What could've happened in your case is, you've changed the friction, clutch plates & the gear main axle to new ones. Now the old axle would've errorded to some extend, adjusting itself to the the gear sprockets & the new one takes some time to adjust itself to it & hence you might find little difficult until all these parts gets accustomed to the new setting. This was one of my previous experience.

Quote:
gentle vibrations as the bike rises from the halt
This could be due to the springs in the clutch too; get them checked

The issue that you've explained with problem #2 is what I've experienced & stated above
Old 9th July 2010, 20:57   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys. While we wait for the experts to comment, i too have come to realise and affirmed by your comments that it is indeed going to take some driving to get the clutch set in its place. It would require opening up the friction plates/steel plates and re aligning them once again during the next service and manipulating the clutch nut. The bike is however with the dealership and they are doing a detailed analysis on the bike and trying to figure out if there are any other problems. Strangely enough, they have given me a service bike to drive in the interim.....probably since i know the owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Though not with Splendour, I've experienced this hardness in gear shift due to issues with the main gear axle. What could've happened in your case is, you've changed the friction, clutch plates & the gear main axle to new ones. Now the old axle would've errorded to some extend, adjusting itself to the the gear sprockets & the new one takes some time to adjust itself to it & hence you might find little difficult until all these parts gets accustomed to the new setting. This was one of my previous experience.

This could be due to the springs in the clutch too; get them checked

The issue that you've explained with problem #2 is what I've experienced & stated above
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I am no guru and while you wait for the gurus to comment on the troubles you are facing, I can shed some light on point no. 1.
This was the exact symptom I faced when taking delivery of a HH Splendor recently for one of the family members. The clutch used to stick in 1st gear, in fact all the gears for the distance from the showroom to our house. I used the bike for about 250kms and it was the same. When asked at the SC, they said it would be like that for first 1000 kms and after that they can adjust it etc. Well i did not use it after that and the bike has now done about 2000kms. My cousin and uncle who use the bike said that its better now and does not stick like it used to after the first service.
So it could be the clutch break-in but the other symptoms seem to point otherwise. So lets wait for the more knowledgeable folks to answer you!
Old 9th July 2010, 23:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok & Mr Nayar, I hope this is in place, but still I'm iterating it as a matter of fact. If you've observed, the friction & clutch plates have a small vent or groove at the end & this is a provision for lubrication. Ensure that this grooves are positioned non uniformly for both clutch & friction plates so that the lubrication happens from all directions.
Old 11th July 2010, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the tip Aargee. I will ensure that i pass this on to HH dealership to take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ok & Mr Nayar, I hope this is in place, but still I'm iterating it as a matter of fact. If you've observed, the friction & clutch plates have a small vent or groove at the end & this is a provision for lubrication. Ensure that this grooves are positioned non uniformly for both clutch & friction plates so that the lubrication happens from all directions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks