Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 00:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Relocating with a 'temp' number, possible?

Hi guys,

I am in a bad situation. Help me out.

I recently got myself a new bike here in Hyderabad and am still on temporary registration plates. Now, today I get the news that I have to relocate to Bangalore. Within a week or so.

What are my options?

1. Can I get the 'temp' AP number bike in KA and get it registered there?

2. Do I go ahead with the registration here in AP and later get a NOC and get the vehicle registered in KA?

As per the scene here, it usually takes more than a months time to get your permanent number. I don't have that kind of time on hands.

Going ahead with option 2, can I drive it down on temp plates and ask friends to send me over the papers as and when they arrive or do I have to get it transported via truck/train?

Thanks, hoping to get this sorted soon.

Additionally, can anyone recommend a good transporter or so, for transporting the bike?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 24th July 2010 at 00:02.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just take your bike to KA why do you want to pay RTO tax twice over.

Talk to the movers who will be taking your furniture etc and they might carry your bike too in the same truck and duly packed too. If that does not work out you can simply ride it across the state borders, that is not a crime and you do not have to tell anyone that you are not bringing the bike back on the AP side. On the KA side you may want to check with the RTO agent if any entry tax etc is required to be paid in case those papers are required for registration.

Get hold of AA offices in both cities especially BLR and seek their help, at worst you may have to become their member for an year. On the flip side catch hold of an agent in BLR explain the situation and get the job done for a fee.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:21   #3
BHPian

Well,

Earlier, Entry tax was levied to vehicles that were bought in other states for much cheaper price than in KA (owing to high taxes) and registered here. Since one is getting it registered in KA, the KA govt wants 11% of the value of the vehicle as entry tax. If the same vehicle was bought here, the 11% is included in the bill.

Now that this tax is abolished, any one can buy a vehicle anywhere and get it registered here in KA.
When you buy a new vehicle (any where), you are not allowed to get onto the roads without a temp registration. So, technically you can get it registered here even if you are on a temp number.

Check the RTO website here and you might get the details.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:50   #4
BHPian

How about trying to sell of to another buyer. Try to talk to your dealer if he can get another buyer probably who is interested in buying it and trying to check if it can be made first hand to him. This can be your option only if you are not too sure you can register it in KA.
Old 28th July 2010, 04:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Well,

Earlier, Entry tax was levied to vehicles that were bought in other states for much cheaper price than in KA (owing to high taxes) and registered here. Since one is getting it registered in KA, the KA govt wants 11% of the value of the vehicle as entry tax. If the same vehicle was bought here, the 11% is included in the bill.

Now that this tax is abolished, any one can buy a vehicle anywhere and get it registered here in KA.

Does that mean i can drive around in BLR having TN or KL plates for more than a year?
Old 28th July 2010, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean i can drive around in BLR having TN or KL plates for more than a year?
well,
In short, the answer is NO. You cannot. Entry tax has nothing to do with driving here for more than a year on TN or AP plates. Also entry tax is for new goods. Not used ones.

But you can buy a new vehicle else where and get it registered in KA. For example, One can save some 10K-15K on suzuki swift if bought from Hosur than in Bangalore. Earlier, to deter this practice, KA govt used to levy entry tax. This makes the price of car more higher than buying it locally here.

We still do it for vegetables. A lot of Bangaloreans buys vegetables in Hosur market as they are more fresh and cheaper.

Entry tax is different from life time tax/road tax. Both are often mistook for each other.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks for all the info guys, sorry, could not update the thread earlier.

Well, my condition is still not clear, that is whether i'll stay in hyd or will have to move.

One good thing about Karnataka is the amount of info that is available on the net, officially.

From rto, i could learn that i can get a refund of my lifetime tax if i plan to move out later. Not so in AP, your lifetime tax is gone once paid!!

Right now, am going ahead with the registration in AP and hoping things work out.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th July 2010 at 19:42.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

All you need to do is get the bike rebilled to the address in KA and you would be able to get it registered in KA.

keep things simple this is no rocket science.

now make sure you have a proper KA residence proof. i dont know what KA RTO would accept.

My case

i had bought my P220 from punjab. cause i did not want to go throught the hassel of buying it from delhi and then getting the bills stamped at the Octroi at Haryana and then punjab.
So got it from Ludhiana, Got it billed for Bathinda and got it registered in Bathinda, before the bike was registered i kept on riding it around in delhi on a TEMP number for around 2 months and then i had put on my Bathinda number on it. Though this should not be done and the TEMP number is valid for a month with unlimited Millage

--------

As you mentoined that your lifetime Tax is gone if paid in AP. its not thatways. its just that it is too much of a hassel gettinga refund
Old 30th July 2010, 01:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

desideep,

exactly the thing i was told, that i need the address of KA in the vehicle invoice. problem with me is, i haven't shifted base!! i am in a mess right now. so as you said, i am trying to keep things simple.

got the bike registered in AP. got a 'permanent' number. rc smart card arrives in 25 days i am told. waiting.

about the refund, i could see the refund table and all for KA from KA RTO site but nothing of sorts is mentioned in the AP one. so the confusion.

is it refundable in ALL the states? any idea on this?
will contact the 'agent' who did my registration to get more info on this.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is refundable in all the states but the rules are really weird and then the BABU's take the toll.

i have bloody KA and other states where they donot accept the external state vehicles. i dont want to change my vehicles number from PB to KA or MH. india is one country when no other states have problem then why some of the states at weird.

i remember for my sister i had got her Activa registered in Chandigarh and got a special number for her. when she moved to Bangaluru she had to change the registration from CH to KA. i just cant understand why.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

thats the sad part. Process is in place but you can't really benefit from it.

thanks to the corruption all around.

from what i gathered till now, i can tell you don't need to re-register your vehicle for upto a year, you can drive with other state's number provided you have paid the road tax.

post one year i think you HAVE to get the vehicle re-registered.

If, however your stay is less than 3 months you dont have to pay anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks