Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Finally..... A proud owner of a Standard 350

After more than 3 months of search, frustration, numerous phone calls, test drives and resisting from succumbing to the temptation of going for anything other than a CI, I finally got my Bull a couple of days back. Found an online ad on Sunday evening, called up the owner, met up with him on Monday morning. The bike was a beauty. It was a 2008 standard and had run around 6k kms. I rode it and knew I wouldnt get a better bike.
I conveyed my offer and he replied back that he will wait for some more time for a better offer. I knew the bike would not be there in his garage for long as someone would give a better offer on the same day.
I went to work, with my mind and heart in utter chaos. Finally as always the case with us petrolheads, heart won and I called up the owner and gave my new quote.
He said he will call back in the afternoon. In the meanwhile, it seems another guy has come and offered 2k more than mine. Moreover, the owner said that the guy was crazy over the bike. BUt then I managed to convince him of my passion and finally we settled on my offer itself.
Got a payorder and the transfer forms and completed the formalities in the evening itself and brought the bike home.
A big thanks to the community, especially msvg and essyouwee in the Used Bikes Price thread, for helping me out on my queries.
Will post pics of the bike in a couple of days guys.

Thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your bike mate.
Enjoy the thump and ride safe!

Last edited by jingaboysr : 8th September 2010 at 11:59.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:27   #3
BHPian

Congrats fellow bulleteer . Wish you many kms of happy thumping.

BTW what was your offer. And yes, where are the pics!!!!
Old 8th September 2010, 23:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats ZedMae!!

post some .

BTW how much power 'M' was required?
Old 8th September 2010, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Welcome to the Bullet club. Treat her with lot of love and patience. And do post her pic. Happy thumping.
Old 8th September 2010, 23:59   #6
BHPian

The damage was 70k. The initial quote by the owner was 76 and my initial was 65k. Jacked it up by another 5k in a matter of an hour and the rest is ....
Will post pics in a couple of days.

Thanks for the wishes guys
Old 9th September 2010, 19:20   #7
BHPian

Congrats mate, post some pics soon

Happy Thumping and ride safe
Old 9th September 2010, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great news!

Pics awaited... and how much did you finally land the deal for?

Congrats mate!
Old 27th September 2010, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Update

Have completed around 700 kms since getting the bike. It has been wonderful in the highway rides. But it is really not in its elements in the congested city traffic, where it gets heated up pretty soon.

The bike came with the stock long bottle silencer resulting in a very muted thump. So, when I gave the bike for service last week, I got it changed to the short bottle one at the dealership itself. Also, had a slight misfiring issue which I wanted to be sorted out.

Got the bike back on Saturday and the thump is more noticeable at low revs, but at higher revs it is not too much to my liking. The thump is more hollow than bassy. I'm not very sure if there was a drop in initial pick up. But somehow I found myself wanting to wring the throttle more compared to the previous set up.
But then the first major disaster (or is it?) struck yesterday. Was coming back after a not so long ride and I felt a drastic drop in power. And the bike was turning off while waiting in signals. Then after parking it, did a compression test with the kicker and there was no resistance at all , whereas earlier I could easily stand on the kicker for a couple of seconds when it was in the horizontal position.

Came back home and looked for any oil spills. Nothing. Then checked the oil level, it was as at the top of the small dotted markings in the dipstick, with a nice reddish tinge to it.
Did not take the bike to work today. fearing I might make something worse.
I'm planning to take it to the service guys tomorrow or day after.
Guys, what could be the issue. Is there any basic check that I can do myself to figure out the problem.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 12:13   #10
BHPian

looks like tight tappets. How difficult is it to cold start the bike now?
Old 27th September 2010, 14:11   #11
BHPian

Yes Jinga its difficult, it dies out immediately after starting. So, I turned the carb idling screw clockwise and increased the idling and managed to come home.
If my tappets are overtightened, the engine noise/clatter should be minimal right? But I didnt find any such reduction.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Opened the tappet cover and I was able to turn around the tappets quite easily. Infact I feel it is not perfect, but more on the looser side.
So, this aspect is ruled out for the low compression. And yes, I had to kick a lot to bring it life, while usually it comes to life in the first kick.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:39   #13
BHPian

guys, it turned out to be a leaky head gasket issue. Its been replaced and the bull is healthy again.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks