Team-BHP Support

Rider Mania 2011

Rider Mania 2011.

For Registrations, contact info etc: Eastern Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM History

Source = http://easternbulls.in/index.php?opt...d=10&Itemid=15
What is it?

Rider Mania (RM) is an event hosted by the Enfield Motorcycle Riding Community in India between January 23 and January 26, every year. The event was kick-started in 2003 to commemorate the spirit of motorcycling. Riders Biking Clubs across the country gather in vibrant numbers for the 3 day fest.
What's the Story?

Year 2003:
It all began with a simple thought – “Let’s Meet guys” An idea floated by Vernon Dias, a member of Madras Bulls motorcycle club. He along with some of his biking buddies wanted to add mass to this thought bubble. So they decided to have a grand meet of fellow riders. But such a meet, propelled by passion for adrenaline, needed a name. Vernon soon found himself giving wings to his dream with a befitting event name and logo. Thus, the name ‘Rider Mania’ came to life, and continues to stand even today. The first RM was held in Goa on the 10th of Jan, in the year 2003. Approximately, 70 bikers participated.

The event had its fair share of speed-bumpers. Resistance and skepticism came from both quarters, within and outside - namely RE MC Co. (registered name withheld). But guess what, most of these very individual/s and representatives of the so called Co. ended up attending as we suppose, to witness its outcome.

Thank you, Vernon

Year 2004:
The New Year paved a new path for other bikers, and brought with it some surprises and a few twisted tales. One such turn of event was RE MC Co. registering the “Rider Mania” banner for themselves. An action that was done without the knowledge of the original founder member/s of Rider Mania. But obviously, this lead to some bad blood between the two groups, which eventually tided over, or so it seemed. Rider Mania was organized in Goa on the monumental 10th day of January 2004. This time approximately 130 bikers attended.

Year 2005:
This year marked the era of the clubs taking back, what was originally theirs. Bombay based club, Inddie Thumpers, volunteered to host the Rider Mania. The news rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but the club held its ground. It was then that bikers from different clubs got together and made a few landmark decisions. Some of which were: The event/fest/carnival was to be an annual affair, it would be the sole responsibility of the motorcycle clubs to organize the event, solo riders could participate, new locations to be explored. This proved to be a turning point for RM as an event. Many clubs, new and old, participated, solo riders were encouraged and riders, nationwide got the sense of what fraternity /brotherhood meant. The event was held at Raigarh Resorts, Panvel on the 8th of Jan. Over 360 riders participated. RE Mc Co. was one of the sponsors. The event was a raving success and Rider Mania or “RM” became the most popular riders’ meet in the Nation and a second skin to riders of all ages alike.

Thank you Inddie Thumpers.

Year 2006:
As the precedence was set, RM 06 went as planned. Madras Bulls volunteered to run the event. “RM” had already established itself as a brand by then. No sooner did the entries opened, huge participation gushed in. The response was overwhelming, with over 400 participants. It was held at Casuarina Bay Beach Resort on Jan 21st, Chennai. Riders from far East & North rode all the way. Here again, RE was one of the sponsors. However, the RE sponsorship didn’t go as planned and left the organizers with things to ponder over. But that’s another story - some other time…

Thank you, Madras Bulls.

Year 2007:
Come a new year and RM is due, yet again !! This time, Wander Lust MC Club from Nagpur took up the Herculean task of hosting the event. To make things easy, they went with the event managers who had the experience of managing the RM in 2005. However, tragedy stuck when the event managers failed to deliver, and wrapped up business less than a month before the main event. This was a huge setback. Since things were at the last lap, replacing the planner was not an option. Wander Lust decided to click their heels and march ahead. They were a team of strong & determined riders and this temporary set-back, didn’t burn their dreams. As before, RE MC Co. was approached for sponsorship but to the riders’ dismay, the Co. refused. Apparently, they needed more time. But what happened next would make many a Bollywood script writers, green with envy. The plot unfolded !! The very day the Co. refused the RM proposal, their CEO came to town, unannounced. Our boys managed to pull a few strings and made a pitch to him directly, and guess what; they got an “all clear” on the spot. It’s true - “Fortune favors the Brave”.

The boys were back in action and the event started taking shape again. Countless tiring days and sleepless nights later, RM 2007 was standing rather tall. Approximately 199 Bikers participated. It was held at Star Key Point Resorts, Nagpur on Jan 24th. Although the head count was a little lower than expected, the interaction was of optimal quality. People got to know each other better, they exchanged ideas, they bonded and most importantly, everyone had loads of fun.

Thank you, Wander Lust.

Year 2008:
This year was different. It was the year of making new records. As always another club volunteered to host the event. And this time, it was The Wanderers from Hyderabad. It was held at Ramoji Film City on the Jan 18th. Around 400 bikers participated - a record number, till date. As before, RE MC Co. was a co sponsor but once again, with a few glitches. Deep down and away from all the fun, there was a conflict of interest between RE and the community. Apparently there were branding issues. The latter felt under-represented. Thus, the need to protect its rights and set some basic ground rules was felt. Lessons were learnt. And it was the year 2008, that the community finally lost its gullibility.

Thank you, The Wanderers.

Year 2009:
If the year 2008 was the year of setting records, 2009 proved be the year of breaking them. This time around it was the Rolling Thunder MC from Bangaluru who bagged the privilege of hosting the RM. They extracted from the recipe of the previous RMs, their combined learning, and added a dash of their own hard work & efficiency and produced the best dish ever. It was called the RM 2009. It was held at Ooty on Jan 24th. A record breaking 600 bikers participated in the event. They traveled far and wide to reach here; both national & international bikers. A host of solo riders came along too. But the cherry on the dish this year - RE was not approached for any help. The event was a sweeping success and people were left taking about it for months.

Year 2010:
This year witnessed a few conflicts between the community & the RE, yet again. But it also brought along one of the experienced clubs, to host the RM for the second time. Needless to say that experience only eases some of the hurdles but in no way does it dilute the effort put behind organizing such a gigantic event. This time, the club with the task of running the show needed no introduction; it was none other than the Inddie Thumpers - from Mumbai. They had their minds set on breaking all previously set records and making this event the grandest of them all. And they did just that !! The event was named as RMX and was held at Vikram Garh on the Jan 24th, at a resort on the outskirts of Mumbai, flirting along the borders of Gujarat. RMX attracted riders from across continents. And what was only hoped for became a reality. Around 650 riders joined the fest and shattered the previous record of 600. End of the day one can proudly say “all’s well that ends well”. RMX was a grand success and now it was time for yet another club, another location and another RM for 2011.

On the last evening of a RM, the community holds a meeting of club representatives and here is when they express their desires to host the grand fest or event. Volunteering club representatives make a presentation stating why they should be given the opportunity to host the fest. Collectively the community votes for one club and the privilege of being the host of the year, is bestowed upon that MC club to take the RM torch forward. And next year it’s happening in Kolkata !! The host is Eastern Bulls and the guest of honor is YOU.

Year 2011:
Rumors has it that this year it’s going to be a little “different”. Eastern Bulls have given RM 2011 a new look and feel. Their target - to have their riders leave ‘exhausted’, ‘satiated’. Let’s wish them the very Best and extend our fullest support. Most importantly start planning for Jan 22nd 2011 and book your entries NOW.

DISCLAIMER:
This event is neither hosted nor is it sponsored by the Royal Enfield company.
It is a held every year by different motorcycling clubs whose only common point is that they all ride a Royal Enfield bike.

Last edited by bblost : 1st October 2010 at 19:30.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:20   #2
BHPian

Good write up on all previous RMs. I attended 08, 09 & 10 and will be attending RM'11 as well. Btw, registrations have opened.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic write-up BBlost. I always thought RM was carried out by RE & never knew it had moved to individual clubs now. Also its quite surprising to see RM being started only about 7-8 years back, I'd thought they were around for quite sometime now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost
Let’s wish them the very Best
So aren't you going to ride this year? Seeing this post, I thought you would be riding this year.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:27   #4
BHPian

Good update on the history Immy. Previously I also used to be confused about the 2 RMs.

PS: That is a nice disclaimer, puts everything into perspective.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

The History is from the Eastern Bulls site.
My mistake I assumed that it would be read that way as I put the link on top.
Now wrapped everything inside the quotes to make it clear, I DID NOT WRITE IT

Although I have been part of this history.

There is nothing that comes close to RM for its sheer madness.
Imagine 2 nights in the parking lots walking around all those bikes. That itself is worth the long ride to the venue.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Although I have been part of this history.
I would love hearing to this; pls detail for us, if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Imagine 2 nights in the parking lots walking around all those bikes. That itself is worth the long ride to the venue.
Its load of fun talking only about engines, tuning, performance, oil, finding new contacts, cracking jokes on the break downs & what not? All the more, no other talks other than RE's.

Though I'm not a great fan of RE, I can still understand the motorcycling nerve inside
Old 4th October 2010, 12:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Aargee, Search threads created by me in the travelogue section.

I hope I am able to atleast capture 0.10% of the fun we have in those fews days.

One incident, which happened in 2005 at Panvel.
I am sitting on my bike, just chatting with some friends.

A guy is walking towards the registration desk. I knew him from just some emails we had exchanged earlier.
From the roughly 300 odd people in the RM, I knew exactly who he was, what his bike was and so on.
I stand up and say, Anukaran.
He looks at me, in less than a second he says, Imran.

RM is just that.
Bikers meeting up after a long time in typical Manmohan Desai style.

Last edited by bblost : 4th October 2010 at 12:10.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

@BBlost - I stumbled upon this one today - Royal Enfield | Rider Mania 2010 | Rider Mania Events, Exhibitions, Merchandise | Rider Mania 2010 Register Now

Are you saying this is quite different from RM 2011? Are there 2 such RM's hosted every year? One by the individual clubs & other by the manufacturer RE? I'm little confused & hence the question.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:14   #9
BHPian

@Aargee: starting 2010, there will be 2 "RiderMania's: one organised by the Enfield brotherhood. And the other one which you refer to is an annual tamasha organised or should i say HIJACKED by the RE company.

So this year too there will be a community RM in Guwahati and then an "official" RM organised by "Royal Enfield Tours & Travels" (I am not using the RE organisers name but Enfielders will get the drift! ).
Old 21st October 2010, 11:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

@Cougar: +1

But what is this about Guwahati?
Bhai please check the brotherhood RM is near Kolkatta.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:49   #11
BHPian

@bblost: sorry by mistake did galti! NERM is near Kolkata.

I am shipping my bike to Guwahati and doing a chut-phut 12 day NE ride ending at NERM.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rider Mania East - 2011

This is being hosted by the Eastern Bulls this year and is just a day away. I could not even make plans to attend - again! Started this thread for updates on the RM - including off-shoot rides to North-East etc.

Some of my friends are riding after RM to Bhutan etc.

To know more about Rider Mania (the real one), check out the Easter Bulls site - Eastern Bulls

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks