Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2005, 16:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

CBZ vs Pulsar 150 and 180 vs Honda Unicorn

Hi,

One of my friend was thinking to buy a bike for his little brother and after driving all the 4 above he is confused which one will suit his bro.

Please gimme some tech comparisons, ride comfort and fe about the all 4.

thnx

Old 4th December 2005, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Hi,

One of my friend was thinking to buy a bike for his little brother and after driving all the 4 above he is confused which one will suit his bro.

thnx

CBZ: Production stopped. Expect new CBZ next yr.

Pulsar 150: emm, still sells a lot. Too many around.

Pulsar 180: New all black looks gr8. Most powerful of teh lot

Unicorn: Honda! now newer graphics. Comfort is a plus point, thanks to mono shock. Rahul, the would-be surgeon rides one!

Achiever : HH's latest product. Retuned Unicorn engine. Seems its gonna rule the 150cc segment. Doesnt look wow like Pulsar twins. Test ride it.

TVS Apache : Thats the rumour name and hope its right. 150cc, new engine, disk brake, alloys... Should be out this month end.
Old 4th December 2005, 20:23   #3
BHPian

Isnt P180 in a diff zone from the other 3.

P180 for performance/thrill and acceleration.

If you take the p180 out and compare the other 3, i would suggest the Unicorn+ electric start although the new graphics job is utter rubbish and spoils the looks big time. Maybe they could have added a couple of new colors like the yellow and white( this wud be great!). The engine is a delight and better than the fiero engine which is a gem.

P150 is also a gud choice if you are particular abt looks. Though there may be issues with the gear box and the slightly grumpy engine which doesnt feel that great while accelerating.

CBz is only for looks and nothin else i would say. Still the best lookin bike i think in the 150 class.
Old 4th December 2005, 21:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Isnt P180 in a diff zone from the other 3.

P180 for performance/thrill and acceleration.

If you take the p180 out and compare the other 3, i would suggest the Unicorn+ electric start although the new graphics job is utter rubbish and spoils the looks big time. Maybe they could have added a couple of new colors like the yellow and white( this wud be great!). The engine is a delight and better than the fiero engine which is a gem.

P150 is also a gud choice if you are particular abt looks. Though there may be issues with the gear box and the slightly grumpy engine which doesnt feel that great while accelerating.

CBz is only for looks and nothin else i would say. Still the best lookin bike i think in the 150 class.
Yes my Dear Friend P 180 is in a different class.

Honda Unicorn god knows why are Honda people playing around with the looks of the bike and not performance (so Unicorn is chucked out), and yeah by the way it looks more like a commuters and an uncle type bike rather than a bike that would suit a guy who is of our age group.

Pulsar as already quoted by our friend is more or less very common but I'll suggest you that once you get your hands on that bike you will never regret..it is I won't say the most powerfull in its class but has definately the pick up the styling the looks, etc.

About Cbz well....the current lot of Cbz Star is not up to the mark some how the idea of HH by cutting the cost to increase the sales has runined the entire bike, there no more power in the current Cbz as compared to that of the original '99 Cbz.

If you happen to get your hands on a 2nd hand Cbz which is well maintained I guess you will not regret that either.......

Rest is upto you mate!
Old 5th December 2005, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Just go for Honda Unicorn! Its a superb bike! I have test driven Pulsar 150, Discover, Victor GLX and Unicorn. Unicorn is very smooth, excellent ride comfort and mileage too is pretty good! Its the best among the present lot!
Old 6th December 2005, 05:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Hi,

thnx

First what are his priorities??

Pulsars are the best for the city when it comes to sprinting.

Unicorn is best for comfort and refinement levels maybe a touch better than the pulsars

CBZ is obsolete so "Leave it, beat it, Forget it"

A good combo of all this minus the FE and higher price is the pulsar 180 all black.
Old 6th December 2005, 07:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check out the new HH Achiever.
Old 6th December 2005, 20:43   #8

Hi I think as a young dude the pulsar 150 or 180 wud look best to your attitude....and If you bro want to go unnoticed and to keep calm then Unicorn...THe option is is dependent on the personlaity of ur bro and what he likes............
Old 6th December 2005, 21:05   #9
BHPian

If he wants Performance then its P180 otherwise it is Unicorn.
Old 6th December 2005, 21:58   #10
BHPian

Performance and looks P180 every where else unicorn.
Old 7th December 2005, 03:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly
Performance and looks P180 every where else unicorn.

let me put that up properly

everything in one package = pulsar 180
a jack of all trades =unicorn
everything at a price = pulsar 150
HH achiever is a redisgn and not much reviews are out so cant comment.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just a small note for Pulsar 180.
I have ridden three P180's all 10,000 km+ & all three bikes had some gearbox issues (specially between first & neutral) don't know if its universal but owner did confirm it

If it was me, I would go for Unicorn electric start
Old 7th December 2005, 12:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Just a small note for Pulsar 180.
I have ridden three P180's all 10,000 km+ & all three bikes had some gearbox issues (specially between first & neutral) don't know if its universal but owner did confirm it

If it was me, I would go for Unicorn electric start
Heard so.

And I have a friend who owns a P180 V1, which had a complete overhaul of it s gearbox. My avenger's gearbox is ok, BUT it downshifts one gear sometimes (rare case though).
Old 7th December 2005, 13:15   #14
BHPian

Hi, I have Pulsar 180 (With the black kit). I did find the first 750 to 1000 kms disappointing as I found some issues with gearbox and the clutch system.

After the first servicing, the bike has a complete turn around. The pick is awesome and so is the handling of the bike. However, there is an issue with false neutral where on some occasions the GREEN neutral light is on and the bike is still in gear. Had an embarassing moment of letting the bike jerk ahead.

Also, i got the P180 after test driving the Honda Unicorn. It has a great engine, but i feel it is best suited for someone in the early thirties, where they would like to take it easy and not sprint through the traffic.

P150, is a good alternative as the ride is more comfortable with no hitches with the gearbox or the clutch system. (We..Me and my bro..have a Pulsar 180 and 150).
in peak traffic where you are pretty much on the 1st and 2nd gear..p150 scores better than 180.

I am leaving the CBZ off, as the trio (Pulsar twins and Unicorn) have surpassed the bike in terms of handling, power and efficiency
I would recommend the P180.

Last edited by raajks : 7th December 2005 at 13:17.
Old 8th December 2005, 05:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

the gearbox problem as you people term is not really a problem.

The thing is most of the pulsar V1 users try to use the gearbox with their toes only. But its a heel toe system.

yes the light issue is true though. The light remains on many times even if the gear is engaged.

But v180 is the King along with the Karizma when it comes to performance bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks