Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 11:05   #1
BHPian

New Bike in the market

Hi All,

If there was a start-up (a new manufacturer that you have never heard of) that came out with a brand new bike - a cruiser with over 600cc, do you think you would spend money on it? Pricing would be about 3 lakhs.

The bike would be high end, top of the line - good fit, finish and performance.

Your feedback and thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 5th October 2010, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Hi All,

If there was a start-up (a new manufacturer that you have never heard of) that came out with a brand new bike - a cruiser with over 600cc, do you think you would spend money on it? Pricing would be about 3 lakhs.

Are you talking about Garware motors thats going to launch Hyosung 650cc bikes sometime this year?
Old 5th October 2010, 11:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Manasm - Certainly, I'll stay away from it for the moment, even if a 600CC motorcycle costs about 1 Lakh. Reason? I would like to see the manufacturer sustain in the market for sometime, see their ability, review on their products, service & most importantly, how competitive & different are they're w.r.t all the other big players in the market.

Having penned down my opinion, I hope you wouldn't mind answering as why such a question @Manasm.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Are you talking about Garware motors thats going to launch Hyosung 650cc bikes sometime this year?

Nope...not the Hyosung at all.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Harley had shown us a bike that was supposed to be India specific which matches like the description you give.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:31   #6
BHPian

Sorry all,

As I mentioned in the first post - it would be a bike from a new manufacturer - a start-up! Not Harley, not Honda, not Hyosung, not Bajaj, etc..

You would not have seen the bike or the company before ever....

I don't know if this would happen, but if it did, how much would you be willing to spend? And how enthusiastic would you be to look at it even as an option for buying?

Manas
Old 5th October 2010, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it would be a bike from a new manufacturer - a start-up! Not Harley, not Honda, not Hyosung, not Bajaj, etc..
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if this would happen, but if it did, how much would you be willing to spend?
Quote:
And how enthusiastic would you be to look at it even as an option for buying?
Ok for all the above points, I would expect a price tag, not more than 1 Lakh; but wait, this is not all...
1. The motorcycle must be designed to my choice say street or cruiser
2. The tech spec needn't be tech savvy, but would expect atleast a 50 bhp, liquid cooled, multi cylinder (min 2), self start technologies
3. You should train me on the product so that I can service it all by myself
4. The parts should be available on the shelf. Now this means, the motorcycle should be using existing parts of other automobiles (say from cars or other motorcycles). No custom making so that there's a dependency
5. A little of technical support on complicated engineering, if any. If used from any of existing vehicles, then this is not necessary either.

For all the above, I would compromise on the following...
1. Service
2. Availability of parts
3. Live with all the issues & no complaining, escalating or even think "C" of consumer forum

What you get in return
1. Your product completely tested for free for lifetime
2. All the niggling to big issues reported
3. Most importantly - non complaining customer
4. When your company outgrows BAL or HH, nothing is expected in return

Is this too much to expect & ask ?

Last edited by aargee : 5th October 2010 at 11:57.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that came out with a brand new bike - a cruiser with over 600cc, do you think you would spend money on it? Pricing would be about 3 lakhs.
Quote:
Sorry all,
As I mentioned in the first post - it would be a bike from a new manufacturer - a start-up! Not Harley, not Honda, not Hyosung, not Bajaj, etc..
I don't know if this would happen, but if it did, how much would you be willing to spend? And how enthusiastic would you be to look at it even as an option for buying?
Manas
Hey Manas.

Hopefully, this study is being done for a start-up venture, and not part of someone's MBA project. Anyways, all the best.

For a start-up company, i dont think it makes sense to be in the 600cc+ (At 600cc segment prices!).

Reasons-
1. Numbers are very limited.
2. Bikes in this price range are not only bought for power/ utility/ style, but also for the bragging rights that they bring along with it. With more and more choices (hopefully available soon), people will defenitly go for the established international players like- Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and even Harleys.

IMO- A better segment to aim at is the top-end of the mass market, where the action is about to start. Against the likes of Ninja 250R, Mahindra "Mojo" (). People who want better performing bikes are looking forward to this segment, and hence they may be willing to look at a new company, if the products offer better value and performance at lower price tags. Somewhere around 2L should be ideal.

Price it anything above the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, and it will hit a psychological barrier. (Even though its a cruiser!)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th October 2010 at 12:18.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:57   #9
BHPian

Thanks Crazy and Aargee for the input.

This is not for an MBA project...working on a start-up venture and hopefully things will work out. It may even never come to fruition.

As far as the 600cc question, there is no way as a start up we can compete with the big players.

We are looking at limited numbers and with the value proposition we have in mind, I think it will do well against the big players and their bikes (at least in India).

I think we will do a lot better than the Mahindra Mojo as far as the bike is concerned - but dont know about the sales...

Pricing is probably the most sensitive thing for a start-up - If things work out, we might even be able to have the 600cc for between 2 and 2.5 lakhs.

On a side note.....this bike is being designed, built and developed completely in India - nothing from the outside.

But keep in mind - this may just end up being a project and not come into the market. It all depends on the support and input from people like you all in this forum and how low we can keep our costs without compromising on quality.

Would love to keep discussion going on the possibility of an "Indian" cruiser in the market, so if you have any suggestions (like Aargee on engines, etc) would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 5th October 2010, 12:59   #10
BHPian

A 600cc bike from a new manufacturer without proven reliability is tough proposition for me to put my money on.
The fit/finish and features might make me consider the bike during the purchase, but finally the brand, service network, the reliability aspect and long term parts availability will play a big part in the decision.

It is difficult to say yes or no without knowing the product, but unless the bike is a real marvel 'will not consider'.

Hope the answer helps!
Old 5th October 2010, 13:06   #11
BHPian

Hi Manas,

is this bike is 600 cc twin or single cylinder??

if it is single then we have already bullet(500 cc) in this segment...tried and tested.
if it is multi cylinder then congratulation to you and your organization .....
very few player are there in this segment but with high price.
This product may success if it will have a killer price.

Last edited by KALINGA : 5th October 2010 at 13:07.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:10   #12
BHPian

@Kalinga - we are looking at a V-twin...but the engine is still in develop ment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Hi Manas,

is this bike is 600 cc twin or single cylinder??

if it is single then we have already bullet(500 cc) in this segment...tried and tested.
if it is multi cylinder then congratulation to you and your organization .....
very few player are there in this segment but with high price.
This product may success if it will have a killer price.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Don't get too excited

Don't get too excited. We are still working things out and see above posts where I have said that nothing may come out of it.

I am just trying to get some help/input from the knowledgeable guides here at team-bhp which will help our focus on product and market.

Thanks all and keep the input coming!
Old 5th October 2010, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

You guys are venturing into uncharted waters. As mentioned upthread, investing in a new player is a huge risk but then that totally depends on the product.

I am sure if the bike delivers attention to detail, decent engine specs and a good combination of cycle parts you will find buyers.

What is interesting is the price range mentioned by you, this is sure to set the cat among the pigeons. I hope you are able to share some more information on the bike and I pray that it does not turn into just another project.

So here's wishing you and your company tons of luck, you guys will need it.

cheers
Old 5th October 2010, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nope. I would not.
600cc is too big for our roads. Unless you plan to cater to only the core tourers (a small number).
The biggest concern would be about the servicing and spare parts. Maybe if you can come in below 1 lac with a 250 cc twin, it can raise a few eyebrows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks