Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 220 DTSi with R15 headlight

Iam thinking of a super modification for my P220 DTSi wherein I plan to fix the R15 headlight along with full fairings. I expect the bike to gain more top speed and control BECAUSE the R15 fairing (in R15), does a good job of aerodynamically cutting away the wind thereby not putting too much strain of the rider and net cutting down the wind resistance.

Will that work out ? Please opine guys.

This is how it looks as done on another bike.

Awesomely Modified Black Bajaj Pulsar 220
Old 13th October 2010, 11:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Think about the poor engine or fit a radiator.

R15 is dynamically the most competent, not just because of its fairing. P-220's fairing is enough to cut wind. Its delta-box one the 15 which does wonders.

Any mods look OTT.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:23   #3
BaldOwl

Bad Idea.

Spent 15-20k and your bike "MIGHT" go faster by 2 kmph over the previous top speed with that.

Aerodynamics is much more then a copy and paste job.

Old 13th October 2010, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

As pointed out by Sheel, major over heating issues!

Wouldn't upjetting and a few other mods help you push up the top speed more than a fairing?
Old 13th October 2010, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

With the current amount of braking power, I suggest you don't look for any further increase in performance.

Aerodynamics is not just due to the front fairing, the manner in which it is bolted on and other components add to the 'aerodynamics' part. You will gain nothing in terms of top - speed. If you really want something aerodynamic you will have to get a fairing custom made and then you'd also have to work around the engine being air cooled.

And you stand to loose out on the lighting front as well, so for night riding you will actually loose speed rather than gain
Old 13th October 2010, 12:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Think about the poor engine or fit a radiator.

R15 is dynamically the most competent, not just because of its fairing. P-220's fairing is enough to cut wind. Its delta-box one the 15 which does wonders.

Any mods look OTT.
Agree DeltaBox is the real champion when it comes to handling in R15. what I felt in test drive of R15 (before buying p220) was that on highway (read straight line), the fairing, even at 120kmph cuts away the gush of wind that it doesnt feel that we are crusing at that speed, let alone handling. So I want that kind of a feeling with my p220. Recently I drove my p220 at 147kmph odo (slight descent on a highway), crouched to the max, but the strain my neck was too much :(
Agree to your point about over heating but then i intend to use for short sprints only and oil cooler will do some work right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldOwl View Post
Bad Idea.

Spent 15-20k and your bike "MIGHT" go faster by 2 kmph over the previous top speed with that.

Aerodynamics is much more then a copy and paste job.
I dont agree with just 2 kmph dude. Bcoz => Some days I cant climb more than 135kmph on p220 when wind blows from opposite direction (and im not crouching) . some days i can easily go upto 140. and some special days when the wind is backing me (or a slight descent in the hgihway), i have taken my p220 over 145kmph ODO (crouching max as well). Iam not talking about true speeds, just for comparison. so im pretty hopeful that speed would increase drastically with a fairing change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
As pointed out by Sheel, major over heating issues!

Wouldn't upjetting and a few other mods help you push up the top speed more than a fairing?
Can you put more light on upjetting plz. what exactly is done? wat are the other mods? But again read my response to first quote, i need that 'better' feeling at high speeds with less crouching.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 13th October 2010 at 12:57.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
With the current amount of braking power, I suggest you don't look for any further increase in performance.

Aerodynamics is not just due to the front fairing, the manner in which it is bolted on and other components add to the 'aerodynamics' part. You will gain nothing in terms of top - speed. If you really want something aerodynamic you will have to get a fairing custom made and then you'd also have to work around the engine being air cooled.

And you stand to loose out on the lighting front as well, so for night riding you will actually loose speed rather than gain
That was a very good point dude. I didnt think of loosing my mighty headlamps
Old 13th October 2010, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Aerodynamics in a Lab is a great thing to talk about, but in context to the driving conditions here hardly any noticeable gain. Modding the bike for looks sake is your liking but as other's pointed out the headlight of R15 is no match for that of yours. Secondly you will have cooling issues.

The oil cooler is for OIL and not for Engine, the engine is still air cooled, so you will loose on that count.

Now as for the pain in neck due to on coming wind, you can actually do a small mod by proving an additional screen to deflect air higher than the current. fabricate an adjustable one or try with 2-3 different angles. That should do the trick for you. My friend did the same on his bullet when he istalled a fairing for his bike.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Iam thinking of a super modification for my P220 DTSi wherein I plan to fix the R15 headlight along with full fairings. I expect the bike to gain more top speed and control BECAUSE the R15 fairing (in R15), does a good job of aerodynamically cutting away the wind thereby not putting too much strain of the rider and net cutting down the wind resistance.

Will that work out ? Please opine guys.

This is how it looks as done on another bike.

Awesomely Modified Black Bajaj Pulsar 220
When i saw the title of the thread i thought.. oh wow!!! but a fairing job again, if you wanna go fast invest in the engine, a flat side carb, with matching jets & a matching exhaust will kill the competion (if you have a carb one), if yours is a FI one then its a different story altogether
Old 13th October 2010, 17:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Sam, if you are really serious about modifying your P-220, head to Bangalore to Joel Joseph. Ten10 racing. He should have something for you.

The mods will cost, but your bike will be reliable compared to other mods and the performance gain will be evident.

I will let Praful elaborate more on Joel.
Old 13th October 2010, 17:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
When i saw the title of the thread i thought.. oh wow!!! but a fairing job again, if you wanna go fast invest in the engine, a flat side carb, with matching jets & a matching exhaust will kill the competion (if you have a carb one), if yours is a FI one then its a different story altogether
Can you put some light on these mods?

Anyone has an idea of such an expert in Blore?
Old 13th October 2010, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam

Maybe you can go in for larger main and pilot jets to ensure the engine gets enough fuel at the top of the rev range.
Your post mentioned your bike as the DTSi and not the DTSFi, so I guess this can be done easily.

I am not very sure if effective exhaust modifications exist for the Pulsar, but you can look into that as well. I think Proton has something in its catalog.

Praful made an excellent point about losing your projector setup!

The fairing swap seems more like a style mod than a performance one. But it is definitely your call.

Cheers!

PS: I think the flat side carb would improve response, but not the top end. Gurus?

Last edited by EssYouWe : 13th October 2010 at 17:29.
Old 13th October 2010, 18:08   #13
BHPian

Check my thread if you really want to go faster - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...sar-220-m.html
Old 15th October 2010, 21:49   #14
BHPian

I think the current fairing is itself good & don't fiddle with it. The only good thing in that Black Pulsar is the Monoshock. The rear is looking neat.

CHEERS,
G D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks