Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 17:12   #1
BANNED

TVS Scooty Streak - Engine Opened at 6500 Km !!

Mods please move thread if its not a right section or repeatation.

It was just another friday to office. On the way, decided do drop wife's scooty streak - black (regularly serviced) bought on 25 Jan 2009 with 6500 Km on ODO (Regularly used but for lesser distances on day to day basis.) for 4th paid service. It is a authorized TVS service centre in pune.

Asked for regular servicing along with

black smoke on reving,
less pickup and
handle vibration at 50+ speed. (I have been facing this issue since start. I have reported the same since first service. However it still there even after tyre rotation. Handle actually starts dancing! if i leave my both hands at 50+ speed. No cure as of now.)

I was promised delivery on same day evening. I told service advisor to call me up in case any replacement / major comes up before going ahead (I do it for my bike and car also.)

In the evening , got call , most of work is done but black smote still needs to be taken care of and will take one more day. I told him take your time but make sure problems are taken care of.

On saturday, called up by 5 pm for delivery. And i got shock of my life. Advisor told me that they had to open up engine to clear carbon and address black smoke issue and it will take time till monday as sunday is holiday. I wanted to confront him and there was no point getting explanation on phone. I told him i will drop by soon but till the time make sure work goes on well and up to the mark.

On monday , i visited showroom. Scooty was there in literally two pieces with engine opened up. He told me that valve needs to be replaced and lapping is required during refitting. Cause of problem: Bad Petrol. I told him , i refill from same bunk for all my vehicles , but no issues till date then why streak is giving problems?

Estimation was around 2000/-. He said he will try to fit parts in warrenty (scooty is still under warrenty) however its difficult as it has happened due to bad petrol !

I am not convinced with his theory at all. However i was not left with many options. My first aim was to get my vehicle in single piece and if all ends well , its good.

However, on confrontation , he agreed that he has committed a mistake by not consulting me before engine down. I was slightly pacified with this.

Now my questions are

1. Was this drastic step was required?
2. What could be reasons for this early sort of break down of engine? TVS is a reputed company.
3. What could be reason for handle vibrations? in such a new vehicle and what to do to address it as its not getting rectified.
4. Has showroom guy taken me for ride?
5. Though valves are replaced under warrenty, they have charged for labour 600/- . Is it right? beacuase as i can recall , when ball socket joint of indica where replaced under warrenty, there were no charges at all.

Ultimately i got delivery on wednesday. paid 1300/- (Valves replaced under warrenty.). I have checked average it is in range of 48-50 per lit, which seems to be good. Black smoke is gone. Not sure on pick up front.

But handly vibration is still there.

Please do assist me. I am bit in dilema and planning to sell vehicle now.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:18   #2
BHPian

Wirte a mail to TVS, list all problems you've faced/are facing with the vehicle. If possible attach all bills and details of services done on the streak. IMO 6500 kms is a bit too early for the valves to get fried. Push for a waiver on the labour and other costs incurred, because the vehicles still under warranty and also the service manager didn't wait for your approval before going ahead with the job.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:55   #3
BANNED

In warranty you do not need to pay for labour , services , parts .
Atleast i never paid for anything when i had the fiero.It is even mentioned in owners manual if i recall correctly.

Also i would suggest get a compression check too as they have opened the engine.Will give you a fair idea of how good the job has been done.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 29th October 2010 at 20:56.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:26   #4
BANNED

Thanks for info.

I am constantly observing avg. and it seems to be in tune. I will call up TVS customer care shortly to cross check fact if labor is chargeable even if parts are replaced under warranty.

Planning to raise handle vibration issue with dealer post diwali. Will also try to post a video here for better understanding.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@idea:

The bad petrol story is pure bull crap. There are thousands of others that fill in the same pump as you do. If their theory was correct then there should be a bunch of Scootys lined up with the same issue. The are definitely trying to trick you with the bad petrol theory. Escalate to TVS Customer care immediately.

If you have a lawyer in the family, take him to the dealership and ask a few questions. Definitely don't back down on this one. Bad petrol !!. what the hell do these people think???
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The bad petrol story is pure bull crap.
+ 1.

Ask him how can burning fuel cause a valve to get damaged. And if that really happened, then all vehicles that fill up from the bunk should have had that problem. Try put in on him that it is a manufacturing defect.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've heard stories on bad petrol causing valve damages, so what I'm suspecting is, the scooty's valve would've been a damaged one due to manufacturing defect. Adding to that, you've MIGHT've used bad petrol for quite some time that forced the engine to die sooner. Note that this is only an assumption.

Quote:
1. Was this drastic step was required?
Probably yes, but even by changing the valves or rings, this issue could've been resolved. Not sure what steps TVS A.S.S is taking.

Quote:
2. What could be reasons for this early sort of break down of engine? TVS is a reputed company.
Have explained it above, that's one possibility that I can think of

Quote:
3. What could be reason for handle vibrations? in such a new vehicle and what to do to address it as its not getting rectified.
Alignment of bearings in cone set, front tyre misalignment, slight bend in fork are some possibilities.

Quote:
4. Has showroom guy taken me for ride?
Hard to say, but if the issues are arrested, then they haven't taken you for a ride.

Quote:
5. Though valves are replaced under warrenty, they have charged for labour 600/- . Is it right? beacuase as i can recall , when ball socket joint of indica where replaced under warrenty, there were no charges at all.
No labour to be charged even under warranty
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:36   #8
BHPian

Most unprofessional dealership !

- They should have first tested the petrol in the tank before jumping to conclusions about the petrol. Even if so, modern engines are engineered to have enough tolerances for adulterated fuels for some period at least.

- Most probably looks like some manufacturing defect. Have they consulted with the company & you before opening the engine. They should preferably have written permission from you before doing any such things.

- Immediately file a complaint with TVS against the dealer. Charging you for the labor charges is daylight robbery.

Please be more alert with automobile dealerships. They are out to take money out of our pockets, as its a business they are running with an eye on making profits from after sales service. We as customers need to ensure that they don't succeed !!

From my experience with even reputed dealerships, unless you know the service heads personally, chances are pretty high that you will be taken for a ride ! Try to develop good relations with the people higher up, you will end up having a better experience.
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've heard stories on bad petrol causing valve damages, so what I'm suspecting is, the scooty's valve would've been a damaged one due to manufacturing defect. Adding to that, you've MIGHT've used bad petrol for quite some time that forced the engine to die sooner. Note that this is only an assumption.
@argee: Do you feel that only this particular scooty drank enough bad petrol to cause valve damage, but all the others who filled at the same pump are doing okay??
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@argee: Do you feel that only this particular scooty drank enough bad petrol to cause valve damage, but all the others who filled at the same pump are doing okay??
No; read my post. I suspect manufacturing defect added to bad quality of petrol fuelled up to damage the valves sooner than expected.

I'm positive that bad quality of fuel damaging valves as I've seen one such case, however, the vehicle was from B.A.L (can't remember which one, though its not Pulsar/Discover). He is a localite & used to fill from one specific HP petrol pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks