Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 12:04   #1
BANNED

Passion Fuel Tank

MODS please move or merge this thread if it is already existing

Hi all

My 2003 passion is been lying sparingly used for last 3-4 years and the fuel tank has started rusting and the fuel is leaking very very slowly.Now how do i fix this problem ?

Should i take to a tinker /welder and get it sorted out or should i change the tank itself

Since am not using ti much i would not like to spend much on it and if tank is going to cost me > 4k then i can very well repaint the whole bike and make it look like new.

If in case i want to change the whole bike to look like latest version ,how much would it cost

All are requested to give me some valuable inputs

Thanks
Old 27th November 2010, 16:46   #2
BHPian

M-seal. It works. It wont be a problem if it is under the tank, but it will look dirty if it is above.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

My bikes tank developed a leak. M Seal did not work. A minor weld job also failed to keep it sealed.

I had the welder cut it open and made the tank bigger.
The whole cost of expanding the tank came to 5k.
Some 3k to the welder and 2k to the painter.

Since it needed a new coat of paint as well.

As you might not be interested in expanding the capacity, check the price of a new tank before doing anything.
If Mseal works for you it is the cheapest.

Else decide between the welder+painter and new tank cost.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:40   #4
BHPian

My 2003 Caliber developed a leak after about 5 yrs. M-Seal contained these pinhole leaks for about 2 years. Earlier this year, i got the welder to replace the bottom of the tank and got it painted. Unfortunately I could not find the original Kawasaki decals and had to settle for the Bajaj ones. The whole cost of welding, painting and decals came to about 2200.

A new tank was not readily available, but i was quoted about 3k by the dealer if i was willing to put a deposit and wait endlessly.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
MODS please move or merge this thread if it is already existing

Hi all

My 2003 passion is been lying sparingly used for last 3-4 years and the fuel tank has started rusting and the fuel is leaking very very slowly.Now how do i fix this problem ?

Should i take to a tinker /welder and get it sorted out or should i change the tank itself

Since am not using ti much i would not like to spend much on it and if tank is going to cost me > 4k then i can very well repaint the whole bike and make it look like new.

If in case i want to change the whole bike to look like latest version ,how much would it cost

All are requested to give me some valuable inputs

Thanks

well we run old bike parts shop at meerut, let me know how i can help.
tank will cost you about 3k including paint and stickers from here
Old 28th November 2010, 06:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Joshguy - Which location is the fuel leaking from? Is it somewhere in the middle or at the bottom? Like BBlost says, M-Seal might not help for the reason being, petrol is less denser & it will turn to gas & start leaking; it will be like, you get the smell of petrol, but might not even see the droplets.

You may want to consider replacing the tank for peace of mind; if you're not a DIY person, then leave the tank to the mechanic or H.H.A.S.S & they'll get it fixed with some juggad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4s View Post
Oh!!! we have the same here as well, if you've heard - Pudupet ; one can find parts for vehicles from 1950 over here.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My bikes tank developed a leak. M Seal did not work. A minor weld job also failed to keep it sealed.
If Mseal works for you it is the cheapest.
I used the wet type M-seal, the white colored one and it has been going strong for about 1 year. I cleaned the area, scrubbed the metal, and put some amount inside the small hole too. I think the size of the hole (i had about 2 mm hole) too plays a part.

M-seal will be the cheapest option if it works for you.

EDIT: I just googled M-seal and petrol leak and did find many users trying this.

Last edited by Chipz : 28th November 2010 at 06:29.
Old 28th November 2010, 14:09   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
M-seal. It works. It wont be a problem if it is under the tank, but it will look dirty if it is above.
It has worked for 1 year now but still is not effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
My 2003 Caliber developed a leak after about 5 yrs. M-Seal contained these pinhole leaks for about 2 years. Earlier this year, i got the welder to replace the bottom of the tank and got it painted. Unfortunately I could not find the original Kawasaki decals and had to settle for the Bajaj ones. The whole cost of welding, painting and decals came to about 2200.

A new tank was not readily available, but i was quoted about 3k by the dealer if i was willing to put a deposit and wait endlessly.
I got the quote for 3900 for the new tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4s View Post
tank will cost you about 3k including paint and stickers from here
In that case i would like to change the whole bike to latest model say passion pro /plus ,so let me know the cost of side panels,tank ect

i would like to change it sports RED - refer Hero Honda Passion Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Joshguy - Which location is the fuel leaking from? Is it somewhere in the middle or at the bottom? Like BBlost says, M-Seal might not help for the reason being, petrol is less denser & it will turn to gas & start leaking; it will be like, you get the smell of petrol, but might not even see the droplets.

You may want to consider replacing the tank for peace of mind; if you're not a DIY person, then leave the tank to the mechanic or H.H.A.S.S & they'll get it fixed with some juggad.

Oh!!! we have the same here as well, if you've heard - Pudupet ; one can find parts for vehicles from 1950 over here.
Exactly what you wrote is what is happening ! i can smell it but no drops of pertol,i fill it and then it goes missing and may be i should try Pudupet for this

BTW next problem is the tank lid isnt opening ,i use the bike only once is a month or so and its my mistake

Any suggestion for this?

Last edited by joshguy : 28th November 2010 at 14:11.
Old 28th November 2010, 14:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Not opening as in, is the lock stuck.

A little WD 40 helps.

I once had this problem in the middle of nowhere after a water wash.
The ignition did not turn. The closest source of oil was the engine oil sump. So I took out the dipstick and put in a drop into the key hole.
Old 28th November 2010, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the quote for 3900 for the new tank
If you intent to keep your passion for long, then go for a new tank; but first, most importantly, diagnose where the leak is. If the leak is somewhere around the fuel cock, then changing fuel cock or fixing it will help with few 100 bucks. That's the reason I asked to find where the leak is from.

Quote:
Exactly what you wrote...Pudupet for this
Diagnose & then decide on the next steps.

Quote:
BTW next problem is the tank lid isnt opening ,i use the bike only once is a month or so and its my mistake
Nothing mistake. Use WD40 or Zorrik from Pidilite industries. If the rust is blocking from opening the tank, these solutions will help to fix them. Shake well & apply in full force with regular intervals until it opens.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

M-Seal will not last long - the leak re-occured after few months. Remove the tank and dry it completely before applying M-Seal.

Finally I had to get a new tank for my Fiero. I have not tried getting it repaired from a welder.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:42   #12
BHPian

Well if M-seal does not last long, have you tried welding it. If it is a small hole it can be welded easily.

I think the problem with M-seal is that the surface should be clean of any dirt, oil, or petrol. then apply the M-seal and let it stay for about a day before using. Then paint it.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:26   #13
BANNED

2nd hand Unicorn or Refreshed passion ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Not opening as in, is the lock stuck.

A little WD 40 helps.

I once had this problem in the middle of nowhere after a water wash.
The ignition did not turn. The closest source of oil was the engine oil sump. So I took out the dipstick and put in a drop into the key hole.
Ya the lock got stuck due to rust or something....i was searching for oil and your idea of dip stick didnt strike me will try today itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you intent to keep your passion for long, then go for a new tank; but first, most importantly, diagnose where the leak is. If the leak is somewhere around the fuel cock, then changing fuel cock or fixing it will help with few 100 bucks. That's the reason I asked to find where the leak is from.

Diagnose & then decide on the next steps.

Nothing mistake. Use WD40 or Zorrik from Pidilite industries. If the rust is blocking from opening the tank, these solutions will help to fix them. Shake well & apply in full force with regular intervals until it opens.

Now You made me think ,i wanted to sell this bike and get myself a 2nd hand unicorn as i find it comfortable but didnt want to spend much. so thought will refresh this bike and have it for next 4-5 years as there is no problem as such.

i am 6.2" so i find passion to be little uncomfortable and get back pain when i use it for long time

Ok now how much can i sell this bike for ?

Feb 2003 Passion (Red & Black)
Done 45k kms as on date
New tyres ,chain spoket
Accident free
Single owner

And also let me know what will be the cost of a unicorn (2006-2008 models) run less than 25k kms

I am thinking of using my bike twice a week hence forth so there will be usage and your suggestions will help me decide

Old 29th November 2010, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now You made me think ,...will be usage and your suggestions will help me decide
Aah!!! Now we're going too much away from the original problem. But, trust me, I was about to suggest to buy another one when I read 2003 Passion. Anyway, I thought it should be of some emotional attachment to you & hence didn't suggest.

Regarding your question on Unicorn, you've an absolute idea of what you're talking & there's no second thoughts on your choice. A bang good choice there. But consider yourself as why you need to go for a used one.

Reason being that, Unicorn is such a great motorcycle, unless someone has abused it so bad, no one would want to sell, other reason could be, he's moving out of the country or absolute insane!!!

Why not buy something new that's practical for your use & then consider retatining it for long terms?

PS - You can still continue using the Passion, ofcourse, you need to get it serviced once in 3-4 months, that's all.

Edit - Regarding your sale on Passion, trust me, these days it wouldn't fetch you much that you'll consider retatining it yourself, unless you're concerned about dumping it. I'm not sure on the used motorcycle market except on 2-strokes .

Last edited by aargee : 29th November 2010 at 12:40.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:25   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Aah!!! Now we're going too much away from the original problem. But, trust me, I was about to suggest to buy another one when I read 2003 Passion. Anyway, I thought it should be of some emotional attachment to you & hence didn't suggest.

Regarding your question on Unicorn, you've an absolute idea of what you're talking & there's no second thoughts on your choice. A bang good choice there. But consider yourself as why you need to go for a used one.

Reason being that, Unicorn is such a great motorcycle, unless someone has abused it so bad, no one would want to sell, other reason could be, he's moving out of the country or absolute insane!!!
True Argee but unicorn is costing 57-60k and the waiting period is 6 months for it.

A used 2007 unicorn run 25k is up for sale and is costing 35k is it worth?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks