Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 11:18   #1
BHPian

Suzuki Fiero mis-fires

Over a period of time my Suzuki Fiero started mis-firing. Gradually it increased and now its , and am not able to figure out what is the reason for mis-fire[not sure why there is increase in the amount of unburnt fuel]. There is a drastic decrease in the performance and in the mileage as well.

Few things I have checked to rectify the issue:
- Changed the Air Filter.
- Changed all the fuse.
- Changed the spark plug.
- Cleaned the petrol tank [confirmed no water accumulates].

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Fiero mis-fires

I remember that Ramki (do not remember his exact id) faced the same issue and someone had given a solution in the thread. Search by Fiero and you would find.

Edit: found the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-fiero-f2.html

Last edited by PatienceWins : 8th December 2010 at 12:11. Reason: Found the thread
Old 8th December 2010, 15:14   #3
BHPian

Thanks PatienceWins . Will check with the Jet and will try upgrading it to 100. Not sure if the secondary air injection system is present in Fiero or not. If there is one, will try and remove it.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:52   #4
BHPian

no Secondary air injection in 1st lot Fieros, missing problem do not change jet, get carb over hauled, check compression, it should be 10 or over that, less is problem with valve or rings or both
Old 12th January 2011, 15:23   #5
BHPian

Offlate, I got my bike serviced checked for the compression, Carb over hauling done, changed the spark plug as well.

Now after the service, the Mis-firing has not stopped yet, but along with that a the Engine shuts down automatically when driven for some distance, and it feels lazy to start over again. All that I have to do is, leave the bike as it is for around 15 minutes and the bike starts and runs as if nothing has happened before.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:16   #6
BHPian

Chk Electricals, Could Be The Cdi
Old 12th January 2011, 17:28   #7
BHPian

Greenday , Replace Ignition coil and spark plug. If that doesnt solve the misfiring it's definitely the CDI.
Old 12th January 2011, 19:34   #8
BHPian

Hi s.prashanth and spookey,

I forgot to mention that a year ago, the CDI unit was stolen late night [may be someone who owned a Suzuki Fiero and needed a CDI unit for his bike]. Search began for the Suzuki Fiero's CDI unit, which was not available anymore, as its no more manufactured. TVS Showroom guy, offered me TVS Fiero's CDI unit for 3500/-, which was too costly for me to afford. After much of searching, I found the TVS Fiero's CDI for 1500/- in a Automobile shop near Malleshwaram.

As per my observation, Mis-firing was there well before the CDI unit was stolen from the bike [but it was minimal].

As of now, my Mechanic [Castrol Bike Zone - Vinod Motors Sheshadripuram] has given a direct connection as he doubts its something to do with the Ignition/Starter. He also said that you may have to replace the Carb KIT completely to stop Mis-firing, which would again cost me a bomb [4,999/- only].

Currently, the bike is under observation, the only way you can turn off the bike is to De-clutch it, when in first gear as all the connection from Ignition key is disconnected. No horn, No Indicator, No Headlights. Its just the bike and Me. I will ride the bike in this state for 30-50km and will check if that makes any difference.

Last edited by GreenDay : 12th January 2011 at 19:36. Reason: .
Old 14th January 2011, 12:11   #9
BHPian

If you own the first Fiero (The Suzuki and not the TVS one), please make sure that you have a charged battery.

Unbelievable though it may sound, the Fiero's CDI needs a charged battery to run correctly. Also, a new CDI is available for approx 3.5k (expensive).

Also when does the misfire occur? How many KMs have u clocked on the bike? Quality of fuel used.

Most Important question: Do u have an issue with the idling of the engine? DOes the Idling rpm vary?

My Yamaha YBX had the same issue some time back, but I got the head De-Coked and the Intake valve seated correctly ... that fixed it.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_balsekar View Post
If you own the first Fiero (The Suzuki and not the TVS one), please make sure that you have a charged battery.

Unbelievable though it may sound, the Fiero's CDI needs a charged battery to run correctly. Also, a new CDI is available for approx 3.5k (expensive).

Also when does the misfire occur? How many KMs have u clocked on the bike? Quality of fuel used.

Most Important question: Do u have an issue with the idling of the engine? DOes the Idling rpm vary?

My Yamaha YBX had the same issue some time back, but I got the head De-Coked and the Intake valve seated correctly ... that fixed it.
Hi Alok,

I have got a brand new Amaron Battery installed on the bike[Suzuki Fiero] 8 months ago which has got 0 maintenance guarantee for 5 years. So I don't think so the battery is the suspect.

Mis-Fire occurs when the engine gets heated up after riding for around 12-15km, when you release the accelerator to slow down and the bike moves only with the Open Clutch for some distance. This happens in almost Top, Third and 2nd Gear.

The Bike has clocked 38,000Kms till now, 99% of the time I use Bharath Petroleum[Speed] from a single trusted petrol bunk and rarely go for Shell[Normal].

There is no issue with Engine Idling or with Idling RPM.
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:24   #11
BHPian

After all the trail n errors, my mechanic disconnected the Ignition (which means the bike will start without the key, following with No Horn, No Headlights, No indicators [risk of theft is high as well as accident as I ride mostly from Office at night]) and handed over the bike for another trail n error.

Surprisingly, this time the bike has not mis-fired not even once although the bike has run for 120Kms now.

I am still in a confusion to come to the conclusion of blaming it on the Ignition. Will ride the bike for another 100 odd kms and hopefully by then I will be in a condition to get out from the confused state of mind.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:10   #12
BHPian

Update :

After riding the bike for more than 250kms without any connection to the Ignition, I was surprised to see that the bike din't even mis-fire not even once.

Straight away took the bike to my mechanic and got the Ignition set changed. Now, I can see on my face, but still have a fear somewhere in the corner of my heart. Fingers crossed.

So far the bike is running good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks