Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 20:29   #1
BHPian

Which bike to buy? Pulsar 220F or Yamaha FZ EDIT: Booked 220F

hello guys.i am in a big dilemma of which bike to buy.I have shortlisted 2 bikes ie..220f and the FZ.will be booking the bike next week so any suggestions from the bike owners and also from any bhpians wud b great.
please reply soon

thank you
Old 16th December 2010, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bike to buy.220f of fz

Can you plz list out your requirements before we can suggest?

In a nut shell, if its primarily for city use then FZ it is with its superior build and good torque in the low and mid range for cities.

For primary highway use, then it would be the P220F.

If you list out your requirement/preferences then probably bhp'ians can suggest better.
Old 16th December 2010, 22:25   #3
BHPian

Well i want the bike for daily use.I travel about 20 to 25 kms daily(highway).
Sometimes wanna have fun with it.
FE is not much of a concern as both 220 and fz have not much difference in FE.
Must be reliable.I have heard that P220f are a concern on the reliablity factor.Can any 1 clear me on that
Old 17th December 2010, 16:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Fz all the way! The thing is far-FAR superior in the overall fit'n'finish and the built to last feel. Own one for the past year and I'm still grinning from ear-to-ear. Never gave up on me, no dramas, packs a punch (but crossing 80 initially takes a tad more than you expect, but that's only till the bike gets used to it), sticks to the road on corners as if running on a rail. Once rode a Pulsar and I felt everything is going to fall apart in every pothole on the road, on the other other hand the fz feels as if sculpted from a single chunk of metal. 13 months and 15000kms down, I'm one satisfied rider, dare I say lover

EDIT: Forgot to add, the bike still turns some serious heads. Mine being the S version in Black/Yellow Livery adds more to the head turning factor. Gets even better with the chin light on, I'm Lovin' It!

Best wishes, God bless!

Last edited by Scorcher : 17th December 2010 at 16:58.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have been a pulsar owner and 3 people around me have had Yamaha's. Neither bikes have had reliability problems. Also not to forget that Yamaha made a comback on the shoulder of FZ and other 150 bikes while the pulsar range has been the horse for Bajaj.

I would vote for 220 for the sheer value for money, power and list of features.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

First of all, good choice in short-listing two great bikes.

Depends on what you expect:

P220: Speed, acceleration, adrenaline rush, good dynamics.
FZ: Superior quality, reliability, even better dynamics. DOES NOT accelerate that quickly.

Overall my vote goes for the FZ. But not if you're looking for speed.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
Must be reliable.I have heard that P220f are a concern on the reliablity factor.Can any 1 clear me on that
Both are reliable bikes. I have not owned the FZ but only test driven it for a short distance. So owners opinion of the FZ would hold more water than mine. In the short test ride, it felt to be of a very good build quality and ride was good.

Coming to P220F, i have owned one for nearly 6 months and done about 4.5-5k kms on it. Its a very good bike on the highway for its straight line speed and it never gave up or broke down in the short ownership of the bike. But it was a pain to handle in city traffic due to the extra weight of the fairing and in general the bad weight balance of the bike. So sold it off!!

If you are keen on the P220, you can look at the Street Fighter version which is sans the fairing which makes it lighter and a tad better to handle in the city traffic. You would still have that monster engine for the power bursts on the highways.

Happy choosing!
Old 18th December 2010, 08:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which bike to buy? Pulsar 220F of Yamaha FZ

I have used an FZ for more than 1000KM. and i am sure any one sensible can tell about a bike in 1000KM. being a yamaha owner for many years. i would like to say it is built like a typical yamaha.

Now the Bajaj 220. the only problem i find with the bike is the rear suspension but then again thats just me cause if there was a real problem then there would not have been so many enthusiasts buying the 220.
Millage factor : FZ 35 sane riding. 30 in sprinted ride.
220 45-48 in sane riding. 30-35 in sprinted rides
Top speeds. FZ that i rode had a double disk up front and rear disk. it was strugling after 100 the max it went was 112.
Pulsar every one knows what it can do. i ride around in the range of 100-120 when on the highways. but on the recent ride to the hills i did 135 on the Speedo and on GPS it was 131. it was the first time i was using the GPS with my pulsar to check out speed and i was surprised to notice the minimal error.

what else service wise Bajaj is good. and you find many more outlets when compared to yamaha.

I just wish if there was the same FZ with a 200 or a 20 engine, then i would have never been posting on this thread as i would have been ignorant to the Pulsars the way i was till this April.

But still i am waiting for a 250 from yamaha cause thats what i want after being a Proud owner of a RX and a RD.

Pulsar is a good package in the same money that you are going to give away for the Yamaha.

PS. i have the PULSAR S220

Last edited by desideep : 18th December 2010 at 08:09.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Thanks every one for your suggestions...
I booked a Pulsar220 , will be taking the delivery very soon and i am looking forward to have a lot of fun with/on it.
Once again Thank you guys for your support..
Old 19th December 2010, 02:20   #10
BHPian

Congratulations, was going to write my share of advise, but you already chose. Hope you will be happy.
PS - Which color did you opt for?
Old 19th December 2010, 18:36   #11
BHPian

I have chosen black
Will get the bike by tomorrow evening.

hey abhayshanu u can still give your advice.
guys what are the things i have to take care of the bike can u plz suggest.

Last edited by syedhafeez : 19th December 2010 at 18:40.
Old 20th December 2010, 14:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on booking the P220.

Nothing major in terms of PDI.
  • Ensure that there are no scratches on the bike
  • The battery should be charged optimally
  • All electrical parts should be functioning (blinkers, headlight, horn etc)
  • Ensure that the engine oil levels are proper
  • If you have opted for P220F then ensure the fairing is tightened and has no vibes while idling
Generally Bajaj do a good job at delivery so you can rest assured.

Enjoy you ride and pls invest in good riding gear. It will go a long way in keeping you safe on your beast!
Old 4th January 2011, 02:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have chosen black
Will get the bike by tomorrow evening.

Apart from the advices given by abhinav.s here are some more that are specific to 220s:

1) See if the rear disc brake fluid container is intact and mounts aren't broken. Bajaj has recently changed its position to eradicate the problem of broken mounts but I guess no harm in checking.

2) See if the rubber on mounts for side panels are fitted properly. If not then the side panels will not fit properly and cause irritating vibrations.

3) Ask them that to show you more than 2 bikes to choose from. If possible select IRC over MRFs.

4) Check if the beams adjusted properly. Misaligned low beam has been an issue with some 220s.

5) As the color of your bike is black check for minor scratches. Also, if possible get the teflon coat done in front of yourself.

6) Do not let them add any additive to the engine (like BANDHAL). They charge you for it and it is really unnecessary. Such additives are infact banned in U.S.
If they insist ask them where in the manual has bajaj asked to use such additives.

That I guess should be all.

Wishing you a happy and safe biking.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 4th January 2011 at 03:00.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
1) See if the rear disc brake fluid container is intact and mounts aren't broken. Bajaj has recently changed its position to eradicate the problem of broken mounts but I guess no harm in checking.

4) Check if the beams adjusted properly. Misaligned low beam has been an issue with some 220s.
Good points, specially the 2 above.

I had a very badly aligned low beam/high beam. The low beam was pointing at the trees and the high beam pointing to the moon!!!
The SVC took nearly 4 visits to set it at the optimal level. So ensure they get it right the first time round when taking delivery
Old 4th January 2011, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good points, specially the 2 above.

I had a very badly aligned low beam/high beam. The low beam was pointing at the trees and the high beam pointing to the moon!!!
The SVC took nearly 4 visits to set it at the optimal level. So ensure they get it right the first time round when taking delivery

Yeah I've too seen a few 220s with misaligned lamps. Probiking guys usually hesitate for this job. The lower beam can be adjusted somehow if one has thin hands but the high beam adjustment is positioned at such a place that you need to take off the entire fairing. It is a time consuming job and as they can't charge customer for it they usually try to shrug it off. But proper adjustments are necessary as I discovered on night rides on hilly roads. The beam on my friend's bike was so poorly adjusted (like you said, aiming for the moon and stars) he was to a large extent dependent on my low beam especially when approaching corners.

The headlamps are one of the nicest things about 220 and if they are not properly adjusted then its a pity. Bajaj should check this issue. Plus most of the probiking dealers are not upto the mark and the PDI is poorly done and as I've noticed at the time ofdelivery many of us are so excited about the bike that we fail to look for such issues like lamps and all.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 4th January 2011 at 15:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks