Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 15:46   #1

First bike: Help please!

Hi all, I come from a family that is pretty fond of cars all the way, and has strong aversion to bikes (you know- it's dangerous, riky, you might fall off, someone might crash into you, etc etc). I also thought along similar lines and after starting earning (2 yrs back) i never had plans to go for a bike- well i did get the occassional urge but never really acted on it. I always planned I will go for a car... that is, until I landed in Bangalore The traffic here has convinced me not to go for a car here, but at the same time without a vehicle I am finding my mobility hampered.

Now comes the next problem - due to my lack of inerest in bikes, I never learned to ride them properly. In fact I dont know to ride a bicycle. So initially I considered gearless scooters (since I have rode my uncle's Dio and like the zippy feel) but dropped it since... well, somehow I feel I ought to learn biking by now and it feels more mature. I have a flexible budget (since I was saving up for a car) but my personality is very VFM oriented. It would really help if memebrs here could give their suggestions on how I should go about the buy - first/ second hand, 100/150/160cc, etc. If it helps, I have read up on the Twister and it seems to be a decent bike.So does the Unicorn. And although I have no idea how to ride one, I do indulge in the occassional fantasy of riding a Bullet Std 350... He He..

PS: I still have to convince my parent that it is safe to ride a bike!
Old 19th December 2010, 20:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: First bike: Help please!

Hi,

Discard your worries, go ahead and pick up the bike you like. Learning how to ride isn't very difficult, however, it should be done with care. It is never fun to have something weighing over a 100 kilos fall on your leg.
If you practice regularly in safe environments, it shouldn't take you longer than a couple of weeks. Also, there are a lot of good books dealing with the art of safe riding, you can always go through them.

Coming to your choice of wheels, a Bullet isn't entirely unfeasible. However, do remember that your greatest enemy will be reliability, and not the weight of the bike. As your riding will be entirely in the city, it makes sense to pick up a city bike. The new Unicorn (Dazzler?) is a great choice. Add the list the FZ series, the Pulsar 135 and the Twister. You really have a huge selection to pick from.
If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can pick up a second hand low capacity bike for cheap and learn on it. Later, like in an year or so, you can pick up a decent one.

All the best with convincing your folks, probably the toughest challenge you face right now.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:24   #3
BHPian

As you haven't riddden even bicycles yet, I would suggest you ride a gearless scooter for about a year and then graduate smoothly to a 125-150 cc bike. You will know which one you want by then

Riding a gearless scooter first will help you to get used to moving in traffic without having to worry about controlling clutch and gears, which initally can be quite distracting.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 20th December 2010 at 08:33.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:13   #4
BANNED

I agree with @Rollin, get a used gearless scooter if this your first time then may be after a couple of years you can start on a bike. Driving a bike in bumper to bumper city traffic might not the best thing for a first timer.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP and guess your first thread!

Get a Twister; does its job well for 52k OTR and even gives decent mileage.

And, do check spelling before you post

See you around.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:24   #6
BHPian

Hello autobot,

Yours is a pretty common dilemma in Indian house holds.
Therefore what i think is you should go with Rollin'thunda's
and zaks advice

i.e Learn to ride first for that purpose i guess you better start
of with a gearless two wheeler and then graduate to geared as
the traffic in Bangalore is heavy.

But if you think it would be unwise to spend money on gearless
two wheeler and then sell it off and the whole brouhaha,

Do what every Indian does learn riding on friends bike or
relatives but be sure that you wear a helmet and for beginners
sakes try to wear elbow and knee guards because these are
the first things to get hurt if you MAY fall down.

Bike riding is no rocket science so feel free ride safely and
Always Dream ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks