Team-BHP - Royal Enfield Interceptor
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Royal Enfield Interceptor (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/94393-royal-enfield-interceptor.html)

Where and How can I acquire this motorcycle in India?
Its the twin by Enfield
Also are the spares readily available for this Interceptor which was made between 1967-1970...
This was the last RE motorcycle produced in UK when they moved the plant to Chennai,IND

Any suggestions on how much the price for this classic would run upto?

sorry forgot to add pic

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

A very rare bike and id be surprised if you did find it here in India.

If its available and in running condition, expect to pay a monumental sum just to acquire it.

Standard bullets are being quoted 1L+ by owners, so id expect this one to have a quote of more than 1.5 times that.

Good luck in your quest for this motorcycle.

Get the thread moved to vintage & classic section so that you could know where is one in this country to see atleast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrini78 (Post 2190945)
sorry forgot to add pic

As you correctly said, this bike was made in 1970. It was rated at 55 bhp and did the quarter mile in 14 seconds and if i remember correctly, had an ignition system called the "Boyce" or "Boys" type.

It is unlikely that u will find this bike in india coz post 1965 import duties were HUGE coz all 3 domestic manufacturers (Enfield India, Ideal Jawa and Rajdoot) were in full production.

Most of the vintage British bikes found in India are from the pre 1960s when import duties were not very stringent coz then the Indian motor industry had not been established successfully,

There are many bikes in the UK. I have been looking for one for a very long time but never even heard of one in India. there is a UK site Royal Enfield Interceptor Owners Web Site which is huge resource. I think it should be possible to import one from the UK though this will be a huge job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_balsekar (Post 2191278)
As you correctly said, this bike was made in 1970. It was rated at 55 bhp and did the quarter mile in 14 seconds and if i remember correctly, had an ignition system called the "Boyce" or "Boys" type.

It is unlikely that u will find this bike in india coz post 1965 import duties were HUGE coz all 3 domestic manufacturers (Enfield India, Ideal Jawa and Rajdoot) were in full production.

Most of the vintage British bikes found in India are from the pre 1960s when import duties were not very stringent coz then the Indian motor industry had not been established successfully,

we might be able to get the engine from uk right or is there any changes to the chassis/body?

Bike is looking awesome. 55 BHP is out of imagination in a 60s era bike!
Any details about engine and technology?

Next to impossible to find in India. If available expect to pay nothing less than 3 Lakhs.

the closet is a CONSTILATION is think. and i have seen a photo of one in Hyderabad and there used to be one in Banglore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_balsekar (Post 2191278)

The kits tha you are talking about is BOYER they are very good in retro ignitions.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

I know of a person in mumbai who has imported the interceptor engine from england.
His name is Francis, runs his own garage in dadar and is also an authorised RE service center.

He has mounted the engine on the body of a lightning. He claims this is the only interceptor in Mumbai.

He imported the engine for close to 2 lacs with the proper papers and import duty etc. He said he had a real tough time searching for the engine and finally found a person willing to sell it on a Royal Enfield England Online Forum.

This is the link to video which I took:
YouTube - Interceptor 750cc and a 500cc Classic..

The other bike in the video is a STD bullet with again an imported 500cc Twin engine.

About 2 years back a guy from Bangalore brought one engine from hyderabad which was exported after it was fully refrubished in UK. Heard it was sold for a absurd price.

Had a Triumph Bonneville which I Thruxtonised in the sixties and often rode with a mate who had either a Contellation or Interceptor. These machines were more powerful than the poular Nortons, BSA's and Triumphs it had a fragile geabox, covers that leaked and the brakes were a complete embarassment. At the Thruxton 500 miler race at Brands Hatch saw the RE hold many of the factory bikes on the starights but lost out big time on the brakes particularly at Paddock Hill Bend. Seeing that photo brought back some happy memories. Geez I feel old!!!!!!!! Must get back on the blade and wring its neck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterblader (Post 2217393)
Had a Triumph Bonneville which I Thruxtonised in the sixties and often rode with a mate who had either a Contellation or Interceptor. These machines were more powerful than the poular Nortons, BSA's and Triumphs it had a fragile geabox, covers that leaked and the brakes were a complete embarassment. At the Thruxton 500 miler race at Brands Hatch saw the RE hold many of the factory bikes on the starights but lost out big time on the brakes particularly at Paddock Hill Bend. Seeing that photo brought back some happy memories. Geez I feel old!!!!!!!! Must get back on the blade and wring its neck.

RESPECT!!!!

Don't suppose you have any old pictures which you might have scanned to share with us... If you do, please do upload them if you don't mind. Would make for great viewing :)

Sorry RT13 dont have any photographs of the RE, but the one pictured above was not a true production model of that era as it has several upgrades for instance the fork gaiters, the peashooter silencers which should have been Burgess, the front drum brakes have a turbo disc cooler which was normally associated with the 250 Continental GT. At present of my mates from my Fireblade club are out in Chennai and Goa checking out the hardware as I will be popping into Bangalore shortly. The last time I was in Chennai was pleasantly surprised at the amount of CBR's and was dying to have a close chat with those riders.

This is as close that you can get to a interceptor.