Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Saddlesore on Yamaha FZ16

While surfing the Internet, I came across the Iron Butt Association of USA.IronButt association has certification for long distance rides called the saddlesore1000.The website address is www.ironbutt.com. In this ride you have to complete 1,610kms(1000 miles) in a period of 24 hrs.I had to locate a suitable route where the roads were good and traffic was light. For proof the ride has to have petrol receipts,logs,witness forms for verification process.I choose the route of Mumbai to Eklinji and back to Mumbai covering a distance of 1650kms.Eklingji is located in Rajasthan which is at a distance of 15kms north from Udiapur.So the route was Mumbai(Maharashtra),Surat(Gujarat),Udaipur-Eklingji(Rajashtan) and turn back and come back to Mumbai thus completing the required 1,610 kms.

DAY1:
I started out from Sion(Mumbai) on 23rd November'09 at 7:54am at western express highway.The W.E highway connects to the golden quadrilateral which takes me across to Gujurat and Rajasthan.This route goes all the way north direction to Delhi.I topped up my fuel tank on my Yamaha FZ16 took a petrol receipt as proof for documentation and my saddlesore ride has begun.My destination was to reach Eklingji which is ahead of Udaipur and head back to Mumbai.The journey on the golden quadrilateral is much better than riding on other highways.I had to be extremly carefull of the trucks plying as I did not want to be run down by any of them.Riding the FZ16 was fun as the engine and gear change was smooth,rest assured the extra wide 140mm tire on the bike provided fantastic grip and stability.I reached Surat at 11:35am covering about 284 kms.This was my first stop after my ride begun to fill fuel in my tank. The scenery covered while riding the bike is breathtaking,I thought to myself this is the best part of doing the ride.I finally reached the end border of Gujurat at Himmatnagar at 4:30pm.The only stops I did was at the petrol pumps to refuel and I sipped on red bull to give me energy.I continued my ride entering into Rajasthan.This was my first visit to Rajasthan,it is really a lovely place to visit once at least.Finally I reached Eklingji at 7:26pm and I was glad.Now I just had to make it back to Mumbai in one piece.After leaving Rajasthan to return back to Mumbai I reached Himmatnagar(Gujurat) at 10:28pm.

DAY2:
The journey in the night became a problem as lots of insects were starting to hit the helmet.I had to stop frequently to clean the helmet visor so that I can have a proper view in the night.I reached Surat(Gujurat) early morning at 3:40am and my god I was dead tired not knowing whether I will be able to make it back to Mumbai.My odometer reading showed that I had covered a distance of 1363 kms.Continuing riding I made it to Dhaisar check naka and to my surprise there was a hell line of trucks lined up.Making my way on the side path I made my way out.I reached Mumbai and I made to to the western express highway, I was nearing my time.After much riding I reached a petrol pump but the credit card machine was down .Ahead I was glad to see a ATM machine and I quickly punched in my card and got a time stamp slip for proof.I reached Goregaon(Mumbai) on W.E highway at 7:50am on 24th November'09.I had done it,I had completed 1650 kms in 24 hrs.Now I had to make my way back home satisfied that I had done the saddlesore1000 ride.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Saddlesore on Yamaha FZ16

Hi melroyal,

Congrats on your adventure.

Quote:
my god I was dead tired not knowing whether I will be able to make it back to Mumbai.
In my personal opinion, FZ 16 is not the bike for such trips. Its just a city bike. One should have a tourer.

What was the maximum speed you acheived?

I too own a FZ16, but i have just parked it aside, since i am disappointed with its performance. The bikes losses its fizz at about 85kmph. Reaching 100kmph is a big big deal with this bike. The bike has just done 1300kms and have decided to sell it.

You sure have a ironbutt !!!
Old 7th January 2011, 16:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Good one buddy and thank god you came out with just a saddle sore.

How about some pics of your bike and maybe any pics you had taken during the ride.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Awesome dude. Really amazing to cover so much distance in just 24 hours.

How did the bike perform? Did FZ match up to your expectation? Especially on the highway?

Once again awesome work!

Regards,
Subu.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on completing the saddle sore.

Few more details on the ride comfort and what was the top speed maintained/avg. speed for the ride would be good. And of course the customary pics during the ride and the bike will add to the charm of the thread!!
Old 7th January 2011, 22:35   #6
BHPian

Old 7th January 2011, 23:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on completing the saddle sore.

Few more details on the ride comfort and what was the top speed maintained/avg. speed for the ride would be good. And of course the customary pics during the ride and the bike will add to the charm of the thread!!
Thanks abhinav.Ride was comfortable for the first 10hrs.I was doing speeds of 100kmph+ easily,as I had a open four lane route.Sorry,but had not removed pics during the ride as time was a constraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
Awesome dude. Really amazing to cover so much distance in just 24 hours.

How did the bike perform? Did FZ match up to your expectation? Especially on the highway?

Once again awesome work!

Regards,
Subu.
Thanks subu.The FZ matched up to my expectations and did not give me a single problem.Only just a liitle more engine performance would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Good one buddy and thank god you came out with just a saddle sore.
How about some pics of your bike and maybe any pics you had taken during the ride.
Thanks bblost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Hi melroyal,

Congrats on your adventure.

In my personal opinion, FZ 16 is not the bike for such trips. Its just a city bike. One should have a tourer.

What was the maximum speed you acheived?

I too own a FZ16, but i have just parked it aside, since i am disappointed with its performance. The bikes losses its fizz at about 85kmph. Reaching 100kmph is a big big deal with this bike. The bike has just done 1300kms and have decided to sell it.

You sure have a ironbutt !!!
Thanks nandan.Yes,it's only a city bike but I have no other bike to do the record.The maximum speed achieved was 115kmph.
Old 7th January 2011, 23:55   #8
BHPian

Congratulations! Nice way to make an entry on the forum
Old 8th January 2011, 23:03   #9
BHPian

This is a screenshot of IBA rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Saddlesore on Yamaha FZ16-screen2.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 23:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is this the only bike less than 154~ CC in the whole list...!! Why dont you approach Guinness if you stand a chance.

EDIT - FZ16 is a 153CC per Yam site

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th January 2011 at 23:28.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Congratulations! Nice way to make an entry on the forum
Thanks rdna

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Is this the only bike less than 154~ CC in the whole list...!! Why dont you approach Guinness if you stand a chance.

EDIT - FZ16 is a 153CC per Yam site
Thanks svsantosh
Old 9th January 2011, 18:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you Melroy that's an awesome achievement.

You have inspired me to may be try it myself. Do you know if anyone in India has done it recently on a RE?
Old 9th January 2011, 22:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Hats off to you Melroy that's an awesome achievement.

You have inspired me to may be try it myself. Do you know if anyone in India has done it recently on a RE?
Thanks randhawa.Yes,Jishnu C has attempted the saddlesore ride on his Royal Enfield Machismo500.Read his article at Royal Enfield | Enthusiast Rider from Bangalore Attempts 1600 Km Saddle Sore on his Royal Enfield
Old 10th January 2011, 01:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

As far as I gathered there are less then 10 people who have attempted SS1K in India and only one entry so far of a RE machismo and no one on C5 yet. Does it really takes 3-4months to get the claim validated.
Old 10th January 2011, 01:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
As far as I gathered there are less then 10 people who have attempted SS1K in India and only one entry so far of a RE machismo and no one on C5 yet. Does it really takes 3-4months to get the claim validated.
Yes,there are very few bikers who have done saddlesore ride.At times it may take six months to get the claim validated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks