Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet planning to take on Harley?

Came across this article Royal Enfield Bullet planning to take on Harley? - NDTV Profit

Thought it was worth sharing with all Petrol Heads.....
Old 24th January 2011, 21:21   #2
BHPian

HOT NEWS!! RE working on a Parallel Twin Engine!!

Hey guys!!
just stumbled upon this great article.. apparently RE is coming up with a new twin cylinder bike. Its likely to be a parallel twin like its ancestor, the awesome Meteor.. it also contains info of their upcoming Diesel bike!!
Hope it makes its way to the local market soon enough!!
Cheers!!

Royal Enfield Motorcycles: Royal Enfield is working on parallel twin that will remind you of the Meteor, CEO says

"Royal Enfield is working on a parallel twin motorcycle and a multi-fuel adventure touring bike. The new Bullet 500 model will have a new, low price. And a kick start lever is coming for Royal Enfield C5 motorcycles imported to the United States.

Royal Enfield's new CEO, Dr. Venki Padmanabhan made these revelations public at the New York International Motorcycle Show this weekend.

Dr. Padmanabhan unveiled two new models there, the Classic Chrome and the Bullet 500. Both are based on the C5 with its unit-constructed engine, but the Chrome looks like the popular Deluxe model of old and the Bullet 500 looks like a throwback to the beloved 350cc Bullet in production in India for 50 years.

Dr. Padmanabhan was very enthusiastic about Royal Enfield's future and its new, thoroughly modern but retro-looking motorcycle.

"The only piece missing is that it is 500cc and I don't want to be getting on the expressway at 500cc. We are addressing that with a well thought out program. At the India Auto Show we announced the cafe racer, with 600cc, just enough larger. Now you're in the mainstream. We are working on a parallel twin that will bring back the idea of the Meteor and the Interceptor."

A parallel twin rather than a V-twin, I asked?

"If you come to the factory you will see unbelievably heated debate. Right now it's leaning to a parallel twin."

A parallel twin would indeed bring back fond memories of Royal Enfield's powerful and legendary Meteor, Constellation and Interceptor motorcycles.

"People will say this is exactly the Meteor, except it doesn't leak, it doesn't seize — all the old problems of British motorcycles — and you have modern fuel injection and so on," he said.

The cell phone connection was poor, but Royal Enfield USA President Kevin Mahoney managed to tell me Dr. Padmanabhan said Royal Enfield is developing "a multi-fuel (diesel, gasoline, kerosene, etc.) adventure touring bike. The Himalaya touring bike."

Meanwhile, C5s in the U.S., currently available only with electric start, will get the old-fashioned kick start as well. C5s sold in India have had it all along.

"Already (this change has been made). From this year forward," Dr. Padmanabhan said. "Kevin and the other guys said to us, 'Hey, what about us?"' and we said sure, it makes it easier on us: the same bike for everyone.

"The kick start has a simple mechanical charm. It's just like the bike: a simple, simple, simple basic mechanical device. I think it may be the last motorcycle in production that you can kick start," he said.

Mahoney said that the Classic Chrome and Bullet 500 bikes unveiled in New York will be here in late Spring. The cafe racer is due in 2012. The kick start C5s will come when the model year changes.

As for the multi-fuel adventure bike, Mahoney said "Everybody sells a touring bike, but that would be pretty nice to have, one that could run on any kind of fuel."

The new Bullet 500 unveiled in New York will start at $5,495, he said. It will be an entry level bike, available in black only, and there will be limited numbers of them, he added."

Last edited by bivin : 24th January 2011 at 21:22.
Old 25th January 2011, 01:19   #3
BHPian

Re: HOT NEWS!! RE working on a Parallel Twin Engine!!

Post Eicher taking over RE, they are coming out with new model every 6 months and twin engine should be another feather to its cap.

I am sure all RE fans would love to see this in India.
Old 25th January 2011, 09:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats great!! I hope it will come to India soon.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:02   #5
BHPian

it surely is WONDERFUL news but, RE has this habit of launching the same product after a year in INDIA and then there is a another years waiting period to get your hands on the same.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

i hope they anticipate the demand in advance and plan production accordingly. Making customers wait 9 months or 12 months for a bike is criminal. Common RE speed up.

cheers,
ac
Old 6th March 2011, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet planning to take on Harley?

There is news now that Harley Davidson is working on a sub 800 cc engine (may be a 750 v twin) specifically to cater new harley riders in India. The components will be made in Milwaukee, USA, but it would be assembled here in their Bawal plant in Haryana. All this counter the RE development reported earlier..........finally Indian bikers will tastes the best of both these brands.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:31   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After reading the title, I couldn't help chuckling and saying to myself Royal Enfield already OWNS Harley. Atleast, in terms of profitability. Comparing what the two companies make only from selling motorcycles, Royal Enfield is out on top. Without its financial services arm (a BIG contributor to Harley's bottomline), the brand would have declared bankruptcy today (something Harley isn't new to).
Old 30th December 2011, 20:02   #9
BHPian

Any news on the twin cylinder version, wondering when they would launch it? Anyone know what the price would be, i am sure it would be above 2 lakhs?

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 30th December 2011 at 20:03.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:13   #10

I dont know when they're going to launch this. But when they do, be the second to book this for an early delivery as I'll have booked it already.

I've got this arranged marriage kind of a feeling here. When all your friends are married to their college loves (some babe called HD based on affordability), you believe that daddy (read RE) is going to find a girl that suits your family to handle all the ups and downs like our indian roads, easy maintenance, etc.

P.S. There's a buzz that all those that have waited for this arranged marriage will be blessed in 2013. Or wait for another year while you visit the temples of Rahu, Ketu and others!!!
Old 15th September 2013, 09:03   #11
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. I was surprised to see a Royal Enfield Bullet (made in India) in a parking lot in downtown Minneapolis yesterday. Looks like RE has already made inroads into Harley country.

I dont know whether the Bullet has made inroads into other parts of America too or whether this is a unique import.

This one had a lot of RE accessories also on it. I could not make out whether it was the 350 or the 500 - i leave it to the TBHP Bullet pundits to make that out.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet planning to take on Harley?-bullet.jpg  

Rajeev1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 09:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
I dont know whether the Bullet has made inroads into other parts of America too or whether this is a unique import.
They have official dealers in about 40 states, see http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/lo...lers/usa/start

The RE's seem to retailing for just over $ 6000,--, see

http://www.la-motorsports.com/new_ve...sc=Motorcycles

Although that might sound a lot compared to India, it's actually quite a bit cheaper then in Europe where it's around Euro 6.500,--. Compared to a Harley it's dirt cheap of course. Although some would argue you can't really compare the two.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 03:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajeev1
The Royal Enfield has been imported into the US for over 13 years.

The first few years both the 350cc and the 500cc were sold here but those newer than 2005 are all 500cc bikes.

I bought my G5 Deluxe (Electra) new in 2011 and have thoroughly enjoyed riding it. It now has over 11.400 miles (18,387 km) on it and it's running great.

As you may know, Harley riders in the US are rather snobbish and I've found that the Royal Enfield is about the only motorcycle besides their own that they don't scowl at.
In fact, many of them admit they actually like it.

They are envious of the kick starter on the RE though. They lost theirs years ago and have never forgiven Harley for removing it.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 16th September 2013 at 03:38.
Old 16th September 2013, 06:44   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the update and the interesting bit of history on the Harleys and their kickstarters.

Great to see your Bullet serve you in Uncle Sams country. I was surprised to see one 10000 miles away from home and that prompted the post. Have seen numerous LOUD Harleys today around Lake Calhoun. The bikers were having a good time riding their roaring machines in the awesome weather here. Thought i would spot another bullet but i havent till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Rajeev1
The Royal Enfield has been imported into the US for over 13 years.

The first few years both the 350cc and the 500cc were sold here but those newer than 2005 are all 500cc bikes.

I bought my G5 Deluxe (Electra) new in 2011 and have thoroughly enjoyed riding it. It now has over 11.400 miles (18,387 km) on it and it's running great.

As you may know, Harley riders in the US are rather snobbish and I've found that the Royal Enfield is about the only motorcycle besides their own that they don't scowl at.
In fact, many of them admit they actually like it.

They are envious of the kick starter on the RE though. They lost theirs years ago and have never forgiven Harley for removing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks