Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 19:42   #1

Iridium spark plug in Karizma

Hi.
I am based in Mumbai and I own a 3 year old Karizma R. I want to upgrade my spark plug to NGK Iridium spark plug and also change the ignition wires to MSD cables. For this I approached n1 Racing in Mumbai. This is a shop that keeps all kinds of performance accessories for bikes. I told them what I want to change in my bike and whether they would do the fittings for me. He person incharge there told me that he would be able to fit the Iridium spark plug for me but he will not be able to change the ignition wires. When I asked him the reason, he said the stock Karizma wires are very difficult to remove and replace and there was no guarantee whether it could be done properly. However he said, the ignition wires on the P220 could be changed very easily and the problem is faced only in Karizma. So have any of you guys having Karizmas out there changed the spark plug and upgraded the ignition cables on ur bikes. If yes, then could u please help me with the difficulties I could face while changing my ignition cables and ways to tackle it. I know for a fact that upgrading the ignition cable is just as important as changing the spark plug to Iridium in order to have even a little improvement in performance. So all ur suggestions/tips/advice is very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks to all in advance. Cheers!
Old 30th January 2011, 21:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Iridium spark plug in Karizma

I also advice you to stay away from iridium plugs and wires. They wont do any wonders. The iridium plug, however will last long(say 1 lac KM) and will improve acceleration. Some people also claims that it rectifies cold start problem but it hasn't helped me much.

Regarding what your mechanic is saying, i don't think that particular bike like karizma will have any special wiring system.

You can go for iridium but avoid ignition wires.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:44   #3
BHPian

Re: Iridium spark plug in Karizma

Please google as to how to make a fat spark; which is what we want to achieve in our combustion chamber. You will not believe me if I told you that the worst metalconductor of electricity is the best to produce a fat spark. I repeat the worst metal conductor that is still conducting . Another method to produce a fat spark is to have a blunt end to the conducting surface and increase the distance between the electrodes without pushing the ignition coil into the grave.

Now consider the pin point conductors of iridium plugs and the fact that they conduct electricity very well. The reason they are sought for is their ability to conduct even at extreme rpm's when the ignition system does not have enough time to recharge itself for the next jolt.

For low rpm's and higher torque, its best to go with the costliest worst conducting blunt edged spark plug you can lay your hands on which usually is the oem plug.

You sure do not believe me so google before taking the plunge into buying super conducting plugs.

As far as ignition wires go; buy the costliest you can afford. Because we want all the ignition energy to be spent in the cylinder and not spent at losses in the wires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks