Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2011, 02:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR

Here is a better pic. The leak seems to be from the circled area of the nut. Is it possible that it is damaged by a stone hitting? I heard a stone getting flicked somewhere below, but it was not a hard hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-dsc02850.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2011, 00:16   #17
BHPian

Got the leak fixed, finally!! Somehow the nut had become loose and it was tightened. Got a fresh stock of Tru4 'Premium' along with 3M's engine plus. Went in for this oil since the oil level was very low and Tristar owes me a refund for charging me for clutch plates which was supposed to be done under warranty. It's another story(in another thread) as to why I didn't get my full money back.

Bought a can of Motul 5100 15W50 for the next service which will be coming up soon. This should work out well in this summer heat.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Bought a can of Motul 5100 15W50 for the next service which will be coming up soon. This should work out well in this summer heat.
Glad that the leak is fixed finally!! How is the ride feeling now?

Also you sure we can use 15W50?? The recommended grade is 20W40 for the RTR. Is the 20W40 not available in Motul Synth?
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Glad that the leak is fixed finally!! How is the ride feeling now?

Also you sure we can use 15W50?? The recommended grade is 20W40 for the RTR. Is the 20W40 not available in Motul Synth?
The ride is ok since I'm still on the Tru4. Lot of people have recommended the Motul semi-synth and that's the reason I went for it. The shop keeper even asked if I was buying it for the RTR There is no 20W40 oil available in semi-synth/full synth.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^ Well good that leak has finally stopped and you are back on the bike. When you planning to change the oil??

Gotta try the 15W50 next oil change to see if there is a difference.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:16   #21
BHPian

Plan to change the oil in the next service. Since I'm riding everyday, I should clock kilometers quickly.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:41   #22
BHPian

now that you know the real reason for the leak, has your faith in tvs been restored?
Old 25th March 2011, 00:08   #23
BHPian

So many issues in a matter of 10 months and numerous trips to the service center. It takes a lot to restore faith considering Tristar wants to rip off people at the drop of a hat and TVS is accolading them with "Award for selling highest number of spare parts" 2 years in a row.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:46   #24
BHPian

Tantada!!! Just got curious and wanted to check how the bike holds up after a short, a bit of hard ride and my fears are confirmed. Oil leak has started again. I will not be using the bike tomorrow. As of now, I've placed a sheet of newspaper. Let's see how much it leaks this time.
Old 26th June 2023, 16:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Here is a better pic. The leak seems to be from the circled area of the nut. Is it possible that it is damaged by a stone hitting? I heard a stone getting flicked somewhere below, but it was not a hard hit.
Dear rdna, I understand that I'm rekindling this conversation after a really long break, but I come here with a lot of hope. Hope that you, and others over here, can guide me well.

It's 2023 and my Apache RTR 160 Hyperedge from Dec 2012 (yes, it's been in my family for 10+ years now) is exhibiting exactly the same issue as your bike—oil leak. In fact, yours is the only thread I came across the entire internet that mentions this issue along with photographs. So, thanks for giving me this hope.

As for the issue, oil has been leaking after a recent service (May 7th, 2023) that involved oil replacement (TVS Tru4 10W30 Fully synthetic to Amsoil 10W40 Fully Synthetic). After observing the oil leak on the parking floor and capturing drops falling from the drain plug as well as all 3 hex flange bolts, the bike has been taken to WRX Garage (a premium multi-brand two wheeler service center in Andheri, Mumbai) three times in less than a month.

During this time, the solutions ranged from simply tightening the bolts to cleaning the oil strain cap and replacing the inside o-ring seal and drain plug and eventually replacing the hex flange bolts and the o-ring a second time. After spending more than double what I have ever paid to TVS, I was simply hoping to be able to use my bike for my daily commute. Instead, it has faced more issues that it had when I first took the bike to WRX (after losing all my patience with TVS service centers). All I have done in the last 2 months or so, is take the bike from home to garage and back. This is frustrating to say the least.

However, I see a ray of hope here, on Team-BHP, with one more person who has faced exactly the same issue. Were you, @rdna, or anyone else able to fully understand the source of this leak and fix it? I look forward to some support and advise with this regard and hope to be able to use my vehicle normally again.

Let me know if the events need to be elaborated in depth for further nuance and diagnosis.
Attached Thumbnails
Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-1_img_20230531_161603.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-2_img_20230531_161519.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-3_img_20230604_215244.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-4_img_20230609_185619.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-5_img_20230609_190031.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-6_img_20230622_083014.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-7_img_20230624_184937.jpg  

Piston slap and oil leak in the Apache RTR-8_img_20230626_131239.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks