Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Decision and buying the Suzuki Access 125 Scooter

We were looking for a good scooter in the market intended to be used primarily by my sister. We had shortlisted the following scooters (in order of their desirability):
Honda Activa
Suzuki Access 125
TVS Scooty Pep/Pep+/Streak/whatever new sticker
TVS Wego
Honda Aviator

We took a visit to the respective showrooms to testdrive and decide (me and my sister took the test drive). First, the Suzuki Access 125: The plain understated stlying of the scooter does not do justice to the supremely smooth and capable engine that was beneath its skin. The vehicle was quite heavy but the beauty is how the weight has been sunk by its dynamics and powerful engine. We were immediately impressed with this scooter and the sheer practicality of the machine and the legenedary Suzuki reliability were all adding to the desirability.

Okay.. we decided not to get buoyed and therefore proceeded to the TVS showroom. I read in news sometime back that there was a cute little scooter launched by TVS called Wego. But there was no noise at all in the media by TVS to promote this product. We decided to test drive and have our own opinion. This was the heaviest of all the TVS scooter models. The sales exec was citing that this model is a tad less heavy than the Activa. I do not think so/atleast the scooter feels heavier than the Activa. The engine was not as smooth as the Suzuki and was struggling to pull initially and it takes time to get into groove which was a major irritant. Manoeuvring it in traffic will be a headache considering the bulk body this has. The salesman was saying it has 'Body balance' tech n all. Practically it makes no sense for a scooter to have this. At the end of the day the scooter is the most unsafe vehicle on road as i can lose its balance the most rapid way when faced with road irregularities and other disuturbances. Next is the TVS Scooty Pep/Pep+/Streak/what not model name with just a diff sticker None of them had the smoothness of the Suzuki. My sister said NO as she was not at all impressed with the engine pull as it was relatively less powerful than the Suzuki (of course, the price is also less). So we stepped out of the showroom and headed to Honda showroom.

I always have a liking towards Japanese petrol engines be it Suzuki, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc thanks to the amazing reliability and smoothness they exude. When we stepped into the showroom, we were amazed to see the sales person just sitting and watching us and no one was ready to attend to us (Honda showroom at Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai). Even on enquiry, there was no proper response and they were looking at each other and were totally unware of the facts abt the products inside the showroom. We were put off by their attitude and began to think again on whether we should consider buying the Honda. One more factor was the negative feedback we got about Honda two wheeler servicing in Chennai. There was no test drive vehicle too :-(. Though the product is good, the sales/support was understandably not good. Also, we were informed that the waiting period was 3 months for Activa. We decided that it will not work out since we needed the scooter asap and 3 months is quite a long period.

We drove back to Suzuki showroom and the sales person was very eager and helpful in getting the booking formalities done. The on-road price in Chennai was 53k approx and no single rupee discount/freebies were offered. The model was ready to take delivery immediately but since we presented a cheque it took 3 days to take delivery.

The scooter is very powerful and it zips effortlessly through the streets. Very easily, this is one of the smoothest machines in its class and the engine pulls cleanly without working a sweat. This has a 125 cc engine with 8.5 bhp and 9.8 nm torque and the figures are class leading and they speak for themselves.

Overall, We are very happy with this machine from Suzuki. Folks considering buying a scooter cannot ignore this ultra smooth, efficient and powerful machine from Suzuki .

Note: Posted by ZedMae user on behalf of Arvind K who does not have a T-BHP id and yearns to get one ( in vain )

----
My Garage has a 2004 Indica V2 Lsi (Petrol) which has done well over 41k kms and still going strong and trouble free (bringing smiles in my heart).

Last edited by ZedMae : 1st April 2011 at 19:15.
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2011, 19:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Decision and buying the Suzuki Access 125 Scooter

@Moderators: Please pardon me and park this thread in the right place if this parking space is found illegal/inappropriate.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi arvind & ZedMae

Congratulations for your Suzuki Access. You have made a right decision by investing in Suzuki Access. Please post some pictures of your ride and keep the thread updated on regular basis.

Congrats again for your new ride. Ride safe and good luck.

PS- @zedmae, you have posted in right section.
Old 1st April 2011, 19:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Overall, We are very happy with this machine from Suzuki. Folks considering buying a scooter cannot ignore this ultra smooth, efficient and powerful machine from Suzuki .

Note: Posted by ZedMae user on behalf of Arvind K who does not have a T-BHP id and yearns to get one ( in vain )

----
My Garage has a 2004 Indica V2 Lsi (Petrol) which has done well over 41k kms and still going strong and trouble free (bringing smiles in my heart).
I hope Suzuki hasnt played April fool with you!! Just kidding I am too a happy and very satisfied owner of a Bigger sibling of your sisters ride, a GS150R(baby gixxer) as we in TBHP call it. As far as the suzuki products go, they have been silently launching some really nice products like the GS150R, Access and not to forget the Zeus. But their lazy attitude in advertising and poor show off takes the public away from them onto the bigger male bikes.

Ride safe. do post pics and ride conditions after a few weeks. How about the rust issues which I often see at the service centre with people using Access(pre-2011models only)
Old 1st April 2011, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on the Access, was on my list too when we were scouting for a gearless scooter. I was more inclined to the Access but wifey was hell bent on Activa. Finally had to concede to her wish.

Pls do post some pics of the Access, What colour have your opted for? Did you also have a TD of Mahindra Rodeo/Flyte or the Honda Pleasure just to complete the list.

The braking in the Access was always a suspect, not smooth enough I feel. Did you experience it? Also the fibre body be prone to more maintenance.

Last edited by ghodlur : 1st April 2011 at 19:59.
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congratulation on the Access, was on my list too when we were scouting for a gearless scooter. I was more inclined to the Access but wifey was hell bent on Activa. Finally had to concede to her wish.

Pls do post some pics of the Access, What colour have your opted for? Did you also have a TD of Mahindra Rodeo/Flyte or the Honda Pleasure just to complete the list.

The braking in the Access was always a suspect, not smooth enough I feel. Did you experience it? Also the fibre body be prone to more maintenance.
Braking was just okay.. The brake feel was lacking and the bite was not crisp.

Opted for Black Color. I did not test drive Mahindra, Pleasure etc...
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I hope Suzuki hasnt played April fool with you!! Just kidding I am too a happy and very satisfied owner of a Bigger sibling of your sisters ride, a GS150R(baby gixxer) as we in TBHP call it. As far as the suzuki products go, they have been silently launching some really nice products like the GS150R, Access and not to forget the Zeus. But their lazy attitude in advertising and poor show off takes the public away from them onto the bigger male bikes.

Ride safe. do post pics and ride conditions after a few weeks. How about the rust issues which I often see at the service centre with people using Access(pre-2011models only)
I shall keep the post updated with my findings/experiences with the scooter. Will post pics soon...
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the ACCESS.

We were also out shopping for a gearless Scooter and have booked the DIO, surprisingly, in Bangalore, the ACCESS has a 3 month waiting period, no test vehicle and un-intersted sales staff!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks