Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 21:54   #1

Planning to build a Electric Bike

Hello friends,
Planning to buy a karizma from scrap remove all the parts like the engine itself, gear box, fuel tank, exhaust, etc. And replacing it with electric motor, a controller and batteries.Have decided on fitting a ½ or 1 hp motor.

The help and input I need from you guys.

Where in Mumbai can I get a permanent magnet D.C motor.

Where can I get the controller.

Is the rating of motor sufficient enough to achieve a speed of max 70 kmph.

Where in Mumbai will I have to take the bike once ready for inspection and RTO clearance (does India motor act has a provision for such a thing).

Where in Mumbai can I get a quick charger which is readily available on amazon and other international sites.

Where in Mumbai will I get a CycleAnalyst, it counts Ah, measures voltage and current, calculates power, counting the distance, telling me the average Ah and Wh per km etc etc.

Is it better to go with a single controller or multiple controllers.

If I don’t get a license/approval from respective authorities will the bike be confiscated.

Will it be better to go for a belt drive ( silence of operation) rather than the conventional chain drive.

This is just the beginning will need a lot of help from you experts !
Old 4th April 2011, 22:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Planning to build a Electric Bike

Hello

I am not very clued in about the DIY EV scene in India, so excuse me if I am wrong when I say it is practically non-existent.

One very active forum that I came across, during my wanderings on the www in search of EV info is:

DIY Electric Car Forums Site Home

I hope you get the information you need on this forum. Once again, if I am not mistaken, you are almost like a pioneer with this venture. So do keep this thread alive with your build details , should you decide to go ahead with this project.

All the very best in your venture.

RS

Last edited by RS_DEL : 4th April 2011 at 22:22.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Hello

I am not very clued in about the DIY EV scene in India, so excuse me if I am wrong when I say it is practically non-existent.

One very active forum that I came across, during my wanderings on the www in search of EV info is:

DIY Electric Car Forums Site Home

I hope you get the information you need on this forum. Once again, if I am not mistaken, you are almost like a pioneer with this venture. So do keep this thread alive with your build details , should you decide to go ahead with this project.

All the very best in your venture.

RS
Thank you RS. The link is really very informative going through it. And yes definately will try to go head as planned and hope to complete it someday.Well to be very honest I am not at all the pioneer, there is girl named Eva from Sweden she has achieved this feat and has a legal electric bike in Sweden.Lets hope with collective efforts of all, we can achieve what she achieved individually.

Regards and looking forward for more support.
Old 5th April 2011, 20:15   #4
BHPian

Half or 1 hp motor for a bike which runs on 17 hp engine is too small.

Best would be telling the motor guy about the load,weight & space constraints for the battery & letting him build the motor accordingly i.e if you find the right motor making guy.

One question - why karizma as a donor bike ? It weighs around 150 kgs & the motor + battery weight will almost equal to that of the engine.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:07   #5
BANNED

If your target speed is 70kmph,1hp motor is way too small for it.
If you were planning to put it on a bicycle,it would have taken you to about 20 may be 25kmph.
But on a motorcycle which would weigh over 120kg even without engine gearbox and other bits,you would find yourself pushing it with your power once you mount.
If you decide to stick with 1hp,then try it on a cycle,else try 4-5hp motor.
Even a 5 hp general application motor will send 3.something to the wheel.
And how did you come up with idea of permanent magnet motor? I dont see them any good.
Any way whatever motor and batt pack(gen application motor & gen application lead acid batt) you put in,it will make the bike heavier and slower than its orginal gas motor.
If you seriously want a motor bike on elect power,to do any where near of, what is called a decent job You would need li-polimer/ni-cd batt pack of around 100-120Ah,and
Induction motor with magnesium based alloy construction to keep the weight down.
I do not think you can get either of them in open market.
So why not just make one
Old 7th April 2011, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can take inspiration from the Mission R. Please refer link (courtesy BSM) below, which can be used as base of your work:

Mission One R - R YOU MAD?

To add on I like you thought process & would be interested in how your bike comes up, though won't comment/ nitpick much as I am not an engineer, but just an enthusiast.
Old 8th April 2011, 02:25   #7
BHPian

My tuppence for your project
Motor : Agnimotors.com

No Indian controller manufacturer to be seen though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks