Team-BHP - Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/107073-volkswagen-jetta-test-drive-review-106.html)

Congratulations on your new ride. Just a word on the Pirellis, my cousin's Range Rover has these as OE and they have pitted in under 10K ams. The manager at the JLR service centre advised that this is an oft repeated complaint and the 'official' importer and supplier of Pirelli based out of Baroda does not offer much by way of support. You may be better off with the Michelin or Continental, talk to Nikhil @ Madhus he will be able to guide you better.

BTW what happens to your Cedia now ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3514237)
I have already done the PDI and am super excited. Am going to change the tyres the day I get it to Pirelli's.

Hey, thanks for the good wishes. I sold my Cedia about 3 months back and after a lot of confusion and lots of deliberating, I finally booked and bought the jetta about 2 weeks ago. But that's a story for another day. I spoke to nikhil and he suggested the Pirellis. He said that they are good tyres and are still quite cheap as they are still to gain sufficient market share. The p7 seem to be highly rated on international test as well. The michelins are costing me almost double and cpc is somewhere between the two. I decided to go with the Pirellis due to the international reviews and also nikhil said that his clients have been happy with them.

Quote:

AM getting my car delivered on Thursday.....sleepless nights begin.

Congrats on your new ride. Mine is being built today according to the SA.. So I have to wait another 10 days..

Let us know how the pirellis works out for you. Am interested n your take on the before and after (even if it is a short distance to the tyre shop)? I am yet to make up my mind about the tyre change..

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrast75 (Post 3514291)
Congrats on your new ride. Mine is being built today according to the SA.. So I have to wait another 10 days..

Let us know how the pirellis works out for you. Am interested n your take on the before and after (even if it is a short distance to the tyre shop)? I am yet to make up my mind about the tyre change..

Thanks for the wishes man, but i really dont know if the short 4-5 kms slow drive from the showroom to Madhu's and back will count as any type of review which makes sense. But I will post what I feel in a week or so after using the tyres. I have a nice drive to the airport and back planned for Thursday night. Probably have idnner with my wife and son in the Toscanos in the airport and then drive back.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrast75 (Post 3514291)
Mine is being built today according to the SA.. So I have to wait another 10 days

Quote:

AM getting my car delivered on Thursday

Congrats guys! I've plonked the booking amount for 2.0 TDI CL, expecting it in the next 10 days...:thumbs up

Any idea where the indian jettas are manufactured? I understand they are CKDs and assembled in pune. I got a VIN for my booking and it shows that it is manufactured in Ingolstadt, germany? I thought all jettas were manufactured in mexico?

How did you check where it is manufactured. I decoded the vin to give me year and month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3515217)
How did you check where it is manufactured. I decoded the vin to give me year and month.

I used http://www.myvehicledetails.com/. Mine turned out to be a June 2014 manufactured vehicle. I guess parts of the kit came from ingostadt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrast75 (Post 3515235)
I used http://www.myvehicledetails.com/. Mine turned out to be a June 2014 manufactured vehicle. I guess parts of the kit came from ingostadt.

Mine says Germany as well and it's an august built car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrast75 (Post 3515183)
Any idea where the indian jettas are manufactured? I understand they are CKDs and assembled in pune. I got a VIN for my booking and it shows that it is manufactured in Ingolstadt, germany? I thought all jettas were manufactured in mexico?

Mine too showed up as having been manufactured in Germany. Not all Jetta's are made in Germany or Mexico for that matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3515217)

Below is the key to decode the country of manufacture. It's related to the first character of the VIN.

W - Germany
1 - USA
3 - Mexico
9 - Brazil

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrast75 (Post 3515183)
I understand they are CKDs and assembled in pune.

I think Jettas are assembled at Skoda's Aurangabad plant. Your Form 20, which is basically the PUC/Road worthiness certificate issued by the manufacturer would show this. Ours, a 2012 model, is assembled in the Aurangabad plant and manufactured in Mexico.

Use the below site for more details. The first three may simply say its Volkswagen Germany. Digit 11 can actually decode which country the actual manufacturing happened.

Even other wise different parts are manufactured in different places. When you look inside you will see MEXICO mentioned even on the chassis.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

Regarding tyres, I changed them to Yokohama AVS dB ("decibel") series tyres on the day I bought the Jetta. (--> link)

I have clocked close to 14k kms on these tyres since, and I'm quite happy. As the name dB i.e. decibel suggests, these tyres are very silent and you hear noise only when going very fast on concrete highways.

I have driven on some very good and very bad roads across Maharashtra, Goa and Karnataka and these tyres have proved very reliable so far. The tyres still appear like new, so hopefully they will last long (*keeping fingers crossed*)

My limited research tells me that there is no universal standard for VIN as far as VW is concerned. Different digits mean different things in different countries. From the standard stuff, All I know that is that mine is a 2014 model manufactured in germany. I guess that is enough for me.
On side note, do any VW cars sold in India start with India's country of origin code (MA)

^^From what I have heard, except for China market the Jetta is built at VW’s Puebla plant in Mexico (both US and Euro spec models). And Asian markets get the Euro Jetta as CKD/CBU depending on the country.