Team-BHP - Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/107073-volkswagen-jetta-test-drive-review-41.html)

Rudra, climatronic = ACC.
Climatic= copywriter bs for regular AC.

You're in the ad business, you know the drill!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 2882762)
That AC is no different from any other powerful ones.
Yes, it was very good and very powerful as we felt during our test drive.

Climatic is fancy VW word for "We don't give auto climate control so we call it something fancy"

Climatronic is not available on the Jetta still which is proper automatic climate control.

That said Rudra, in August it maybe fine but I found the Jetta AC to be very average. Ajit will probably agree here but the cooling is nowhere close to my Figo and Altis which are chillers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2883366)
That said Rudra, in August it maybe fine but I found the Jetta AC to be very average. Ajit will probably agree here but the cooling is nowhere close to my Figo and Altis which are chillers.

Viddy, Bangalore is no place to judge an AC and Rajasthan during August is hot. Yes. I'm eager to see Ajit's comment on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 2883366)
Climatronic is not available on the Jetta still which is proper automatic climate control.

No wonder Jeremy had to say this about the Jetta,

Jeremy on the Volkswagen Jetta - Top Gear Outtakes - BBC - YouTube :uncontrol

But it looks like the Jetta does not have ACC in any part of the world. However, in other markets, the jetta is positioned as an entry level sedan, whereas, in our market they are pushing it as a premium sedan without adding any features whatsoever. I feel VW is riding on the hope that there are'nt a lot of quality sedans in our market and therfore they could do charge a premium. I really wish ford and may be fiat, start offering some decent products in the sedan space and heat up the competition.

Quote:

Not sure about 2011 jetta. I have the 2010 Jetta and live in Chennai. Two years and i have never felt the need to push the AC beyond 24 deg and i can say its definitely a chiller. There are times i adjust the fan speed to 2-3 though the climatronics automates to 4-5.

Not sure about the 2011 Jetta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B (Post 2883375)
No wonder Jeremy had to say this about the Jetta,

Jeremy on the Volkswagen Jetta - Top Gear Outtakes - BBC - YouTube :uncontrol

But it looks like the Jetta does not have ACC in any part of the world. However, in other markets, the jetta is positioned as an entry level sedan, whereas, in our market they are pushing it as a premium sedan without adding any features whatsoever. I feel VW is riding on the hope that there are'nt a lot of quality sedans in our market and therfore they could do charge a premium. I really wish ford and may be fiat, start offering some decent products in the sedan space and heat up the competition.

The one in Malaysia and Europe has ACC. China gets ACC as well.
Im sure there are other nations too.

Thanks for that. I just found that in US they offer ACC as an option (costs some 1K $). So, then it is not that they had a technical difficulty in offering ACC on the Jetta, it is just that they chose not to offer, even as an option. Some sort of regulation from the govt is seriously necessary in our country to protect the consumers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 2883434)
The one in Malaysia and Europe has ACC. China gets ACC as well.
Im sure there are other nations too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 2883371)
Viddy, Bangalore is no place to judge an AC and Rajasthan during August is hot. Yes. I'm eager to see Ajit's comment on this.

Just back from Goa. In a full car at 32 degrees, it takes quite a while to cool and you do not feel the blast of chilled air unlike other cars. The Audi Q5 that drove along with me also suffered from the same issue. On the journey back, the ladies said the rear cooling was not that great. Am not sure if they set vents correctly.

I also found this in the Passat on test in Goa during April. It takes a while to cool down.

I know it may not be the same thing but my friend in the US has a 2012 Jetta 2.5SE and he says the same thing. Just experienced it today as well. Was around 29C outside but blazing sun and the rear cooling was just average. Compared to the other car we had, the Cruze, the Jetta AC was nowhere as good.

He took it to the dealer and they said that it takes a while to cool.

I'm assuming similar AC units since both are made in Mexico.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 2883371)

I have used the A/c in fairly HOT environs. Yes if the car has been parked under the open Sun it does take a few minutes to cool it down but even with a full load & under a hot sun I have not felt a need to keep the blower beyond 2 (after the first 5 odd minutes it takes to cool the cabin down).

In fact now a days where the ambient temperatures are in the range of 30 - 32, I have had to keep the temp control dial @ around 0 to 30 degrees (geometrically speaking) rather than at the coolest setting to keep it comfortable & sometimes move the air flow from just the top vents to distributed between top & feet.

Overall I find it fairly satisfactory. Though a couple of times when it was really hot, the backseat folks have complained of it not being cool (not sure if the vents were positioned right / are sufficient for cooling). But when the blower has been put on '2' & the air flow directed through 'top' vents only & the dash middle vents directed to the back seat - all was well..

Quote:

Was around 29C outside but blazing sun and the rear cooling was just average
Rear is a different story for there is no special control of AC temperature or fan speed. The rear vents are just an extension of front vents and the rear temperature takes a long time to stabilize.

The best way to get the rear cool down faster is to direct the front centre ac consoles facing straight back and the driver and front passenger making use of the side vents.

Jetta Rear AC in reality is just an added benefit and not a feature.

Brilliant review and brilliant pics Rudra. I have been quite indecisive about what car to buy in the last 2 weeks. I think your review has helped me seal my decision without any further doubt. I always wanted an auto, but the Jetta auto is a bit out of my budget. So im going in for CL Manual.
A friend bought CL Manual last year around September and somehow he has Cruise Control too, which is not available in the current CL Manual. Is there any way to opt for it as the dealer refuses to admit that cruise control was earlier available.

Finally I received some good news. My CL has been billed and will be at the dealership on Monday. Hopefully I will get delivery by mid of next week. Totally it was a wait of close to 20 weeks. Sadly, I could not get my CL booking converted to a HL as they said I would have to wait more.

Congrats Shivasuma, I can understand what you must have gone through. I would have gone mad waiting 4-5 months for this beauty. You totally deserve to be upgraded to HL and sad it didn't happen. Do keep us posted about your delivery and drive experience and what accessories you will be opting for. Just booked a CL too, but still confused about Candy White or Platinum Grey. Delivery for both available in 2-3 weeks and both look gorgeous, so just need to figure which one is easier to maintain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocknawe (Post 2888027)
Congrats Shivasuma, I can understand what you must have gone through. I would have gone mad waiting 4-5 months for this beauty. You totally deserve to be upgraded to HL and sad it didn't happen. Do keep us posted about your delivery and drive experience and what accessories you will be opting for. Just booked a CL too, but still confused about Candy White or Platinum Grey. Delivery for both available in 2-3 weeks and both look gorgeous, so just need to figure which one is easier to maintain.

Thanks shocknawe. About accessories, I will be getting some mats free (dont know if its VW brand yet). Other than that probably a car cover. I have never seen a White Jetta in Bangalore yet. It looks better than most colors but will be a pain to maintain since dirt is more visible on it. White color was my wife's choice whereas the car was my choicelol:.