Team-BHP - Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/111033-skoda-rapid-test-drive-review-44.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 2824742)
Looks fab for sure, but this is not based on the Polo / Vento since the c pillars resemble the Mission L concept and the car actually looks a lot bigger. Are they calling the Mission L as the rapid in europe?

That is true, as per news reports, this car will be called the Rapid. It's probably a new platform or perhaps a extensively altered Polo/Fabia platform. Not sure. The car is larger than the Vento/(Indian)Rapid but smaller than the Laura (Octavia). I'd say it's about the size of the old Octavia, maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2814006)
Have you guys seen the Euro-spec Skoda Rapid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JishD (Post 2814762)
Even the rear looks awesome - love the modern design language.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2814452)
yep the Europian spec rapid looks better and sports the new logo design language as well upfront.

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo car (Post 2819751)
IS the changes to the European Rapid just cosmetic or have they changed engine and other performance specifications as well ?

Loads of other changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 2824742)
Are they calling the Mission L as the rapid in europe?

Probably Yes.

I posted the below on this other thread. Did not know that we are discussing this here as well. There are a couple of review links as well.

Key Takeaways:
- 17 inch wheels
- 4.48m long, 1.94m width, 2.6m wheelbase. Hence rear seating and space is better
- 1.2-litre four cylinder turbocharged petrol engine - 84 and 104 bhp
- 1.4 TSi petrol engine. - 121 bhp
- 1.6-litre TDI engines - 88 and 104 bhp
- A 7-speed DSG ‘box is standard on the 1.4 TSi and optional on the lower-power diesel engine
- Boot Space(550 Ltrs) is 50 Ltrs more than the Jetta and opens like a Hatch (Also classified as a hatchback)

European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDon (Post 2824918)
Agree

Loads of other changes.

Probably Yes.

I posted the below on this other thread. Did not know that we are discussing this here as well. There are a couple of review links as well.

Key Takeaways:
- 17 inch wheels
- 4.48m long, 1.94m width, 2.6m wheelbase. Hence rear seating and space is better
- 1.2-litre four cylinder turbocharged petrol engine - 84 and 104 bhp
- 1.4 TSi petrol engine. - 121 bhp
- 1.6-litre TDI engines - 88 and 104 bhp
- A 7-speed DSG ‘box is standard on the 1.4 TSi and optional on the lower-power diesel engine
- Boot Space(550 Ltrs) is 50 Ltrs more than the Jetta and opens like a Hatch (Also classified as a hatchback)

A bit in the octavia / laura league. We might not get the 17" version and this may come in as the Octavia itself at a higher price point than the present rapid and vento while the present rapid continues.

If the new vento does not share substantial parts with the new rapid then the new european rapid is likely to co-exist. Hope it comes soon, and with all the features intact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2826442)
A bit in the octavia / laura league. We might not get the 17" version and this may come in as the Octavia itself at a higher price point than the present rapid and vento while the present rapid continues.

If the new vento does not share substantial parts with the new rapid then the new european rapid is likely to co-exist. Hope it comes soon, and with all the features intact.

If reports are to be believed, the new next gen Laura will bring back Octavia name back to India (aligned to the global naming convention). The Euro Rapid is positioned between Fabia and Octavia, and since we already have the Indianised Rapid, I don’t foresee this coming to India (unless they want to create another sub-segment).

Anyway, I guess this is a wrong place to discuss this car. We already have a thread in the The International Automotive Scene section.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2820950

Hi Guys,

Seeking your help as I am bit confused which car to buy. It is all about practicality versus emotion. I drive around 55 kms everyday in Bangalore traffic and currently own i20 diesel. Now, I am planning to buy a new car but unable to zero in on Dezire ZDI or Rapid Elegance. I found Dezire dimension just right for city use, interiors plush, brighter and the ride quality is also comfortable assuring me that driving 55 kms in the city will be ok. And, I will not mind subjecting Dezire to this rigour. my i20 has already done 52000kms in 2.5 years!
On the other hand, I like Rapid's big looks, the attention it garners, comfort and performance. But, I am wondering whether driving 55 kms everyday in a Rapid is practical? Your suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chethaktk (Post 2833568)
Hi Guys,

Seeking your help as I am bit confused which car to buy. It is all about practicality versus emotion. I drive around 55 kms everyday in Bangalore traffic and currently own i20 diesel. Now, I am planning to buy a new car but unable to zero in on Dezire ZDI or Rapid Elegance. I found Dezire dimension just right for city use, interiors plush, brighter and the ride quality is also comfortable assuring me that driving 55 kms in the city will be ok. And, I will not mind subjecting Dezire to this rigour. my i20 has already done 52000kms in 2.5 years!
On the other hand, I like Rapid's big looks, the attention it garners, comfort and performance. But, I am wondering whether driving 55 kms everyday in a Rapid is practical? Your suggestions would help.

Thanks.

Sorry friend, couldn't understand your actual concern.

If your question is if it is economic to drive 55kms every day - yes it is. It gives me 18+ kpl easily in highways even while cruising at 120-140kph and 11-13 kpl in cities (mostly because the roads I drive are heavily crowded). The car shows the actual performance above, say 90-95kph. You must experience it ;)

If it is power and comfortable - the car is heavy but the torque is awesome that you just need to release the clutch and it will be impatient to jump forward. The vibration on clutch pedal may be initially awkward during city drives. But, either it settled down a little or I got used to it, I don't much notice it much now a days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chethaktk (Post 2833568)
Hi Guys,

Thanks.

The Desire Pluses
. Lower Capital cost, thus lower insurance and road tax
. Better FE
. Lower cost of maintenance.
. MUL service reach is more wide spread and till now there are no horror stories regarding the A.S.S.

The Rapid Pluses :
. Better engine, hence better acceleration
. Better high speed ride

So on the whole if you are bothered about the TCO then it is Desire. On the other hand if you want a tight drive and solidity of German Engineering then Rapid it is.

My Rapid Ambition TDI just gave me 17.85 km/l with out and out city driving. I drive 20 kms to and fro to office daily plus some weekend mall visits.
My earlier full tank was on 13th June with 55 litres. Latest filling was on 7th July with 34 litres measured by full tank to full tank method, since ambition does not come with onboard MID for measuring fuel economy.

Its crossed 3100 kms, I'm spending less than Rs.3 per km on fuel. I am very happy with the FE. clap:

I was just looking up the global skoda website when I noticed that the rapid displayed there doesn't look like anything we have here.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/experie...ges/rapid.aspx

At first I thought it was just the front end which is different, but if you look closely, the sides too look different. For ex, there is no quarter glass on the global model unlike the Indian version.

Why can't skoda give us this version? This would probably reduce the cannibalisation between the vento and the rapid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashanthyr
I was just looking up the global skoda website when I noticed that the rapid displayed there doesn't look like anything we have here.

At first I thought it was just the front end which is different, but if you look closely, the sides too look different. For ex, there is no quarter glass on the global model unlike the Indian version.

Why can't skoda give us this version? This would probably reduce the cannibalisation between the vento and the rapid.

The European Rapid will come to India and slot itself between the India Rapid and the Laura. It will be called the Octavia which is Skoda's attempt at reviving the Octavia name for our market. From all accounts it looks like being a lovely car the way the original Octy was.

Obviously there will be reasonable product differentiation between the three and price differences too. Check the latest Autobild mag, it talks of all this.

The Vento is no more than a Polo with a dicky and so is the present India Rapid.

Autobild even talks about a face lifted Yeti which is expected in Europe later this year so I guess it will percolate to India a year later give or take. The new Yeti is even more Tiguan-like and this leads me to think the itself is also due for a makeover at VW.

Wonder when and if ever they will launch the Tiguan here because that would indeed be a nice next level upgrade from the Yeti if the Tiguan is priced sensibly in the region of the Superb. The Tiguan is like a baby Touareg which I like a lot! One can always aspire from a Tiguan to the Q3 or maybe even Q5!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashanthyr

There is a big debate on the European Rapid vs Indian Rapid.

The answer to your queries can be found at this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...l-concept.html

OK guys , here is my simple question , will they replace the skoda rapid which was only launched last December with the european rapid ?

I dont see a point in them doing it !

My friend has just booked a Rapid and he is really worried as to whether his car will be taken off the shelf within the next year or something !

Pls advise.

As far I can think, they wouldn't do that especially with the good sales response in India. Also, if you look at the history of Skoda they had this habit of playing around with their internationally hit models in developing countries like India. Octavia in international market was launched as Laura in India.
Quote:

In some markets, the first-generation Octavia is still known as Octavia, and the newer model is referred to as the new Octavia, Octavia5 (Greece) or Laura (India)...

and

In India, the second-generation Octavia is marketed as the Laura to distinguish it from the first generation.[7] The car is marketed in a segment higher, and is sold alongside the pre-gen octavia.
The above are quotes from Wikipedia - Ampersand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, my gut feeling is that they wouldn't launch the new international Rapid with the same name in India, at least for next few years.

By the way, guys I have a question. I received a call from Skoda India headoffice couple of weeks ago (surprised :-D). The executive explained the warranty and mentioned that tow to nearby service station in case of a breakdown is coming as free along with the car. Again, I was surprised as the sales executive had mentioned that it is available only for first 100 Kms. Well, he did mention that they would need the RSA valet card with us when calling for tow help. It seems it is supposed to be found at the left glove box when the car is delivered. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything of that sort when the car was delivered. Any ideas, if they are talking about the Service book? Or did anyone else in this thread has received the same from their dealer? My sales executive seems to be ignorant about "RSA valet card". Oh, well I don't remember if they mentioned valet key. But, I haven't received a valet key either. Is there a valet key coming along with Rapid (not spare key - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3093824AAPHMyx).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monaro CV8

There is a big debate on the European Rapid vs Indian Rapid.

The answer to your queries can be found at this thread :

www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/120953-european-skoda-rapid-spotted-all-new-car-based-mission-l-concept.html

Oops, my bad. Should have done a more thorough search before posting. Nevertheless, I find it strange for two different cars to have the same name. Honda, VW both have cars which are differently styled/tuned for different markets ....think jetta/accord etc, but this must be a first..

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashanthyr (Post 2847492)
Honda, VW both have cars which are differently styled/tuned for different markets ....think jetta/accord etc, but this must be a first..

European Accord and US/Asian Accords are two completely different looking vehicles. In fact in US the European Accord is/was sold as Acura TSX in luxury segment. I will not be surprised if Rapid gets the same treatment for India.