Team-BHP - Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/111033-skoda-rapid-test-drive-review-48.html)

Guys, I took the delivery of my Rapid Ambition couple of days back from Vinayak Skoda ORR. I will write my initial ownership and delivery experience in a separate thread.

Just one quick question, is there noway I can centrally lock the doors from inside ? Even if the door lock sign is on, every one is able to open the doors from inside. I asked the SA and he said it is not there in any of the Skoda Cars. I m really scared about this as I have a 2 yr old daughter who continuously plays around with all the controls in the car and sometimes I travel only with her in the front seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy (Post 2908313)
Guys, I took the delivery of my Rapid Ambition couple of days back from Vinayak Skoda ORR. I will write my initial ownership and delivery experience in a separate thread.

Just one quick question, is there noway I can centrally lock the doors from inside ? Even if the door lock sign is on, every one is able to open the doors from inside. I asked the SA and he said it is not there in any of the Skoda Cars. I m really scared about this as I have a 2 yr old daughter who continuously plays around with all the controls in the car and sometimes I travel only with her in the front seat.

Well sir, i do not believe you should have a 2 year old travel on the front seat in any situation. While growing up, i remember my father would never let us (me and my brother) sit on the front seat until we were taller and had bigger body frames. A seat belt cannot protect a little child and there is great risk of the child hitting the windscreen in case of an accident.
Overseas, people even have baby seats installed at the rear to add further protection to their children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 2908336)
Well sir, i do not believe you should have a 2 year old travel on the front seat in any situation. While growing up, i remember my father would never let us (me and my brother) sit on the front seat until we were taller and had bigger body frames. A seat belt cannot protect a little child and there is great risk of the child hitting the windscreen in case of an accident.
Overseas, people even have baby seats installed at the rear to add further protection to their children.

Sir, Sorry for confusing you. I do have a baby seat. But from the baby seat also she can reach the door knob. Sometimes I go and drop my baby in her play school. But no matter where I keep the baby seat, she can reach the door knob. When I travel with her alone, I prefer her to be in the front seat ( actually I keep the baby seat in the front seat), so that I can keep a close look on her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy (Post 2908351)
Sir, Sorry for confusing you. I do have a baby seat. But from the baby seat also she can reach the door knob. Sometimes I go and drop my baby in her play school. But no matter where I keep the baby seat, she can reach the door knob. When I travel with her alone, I prefer her to be in the front seat ( actually I keep the baby seat in the front seat), so that I can keep a close look on her.

The front seat is a bad idea sir.
Please read the article below. You will see how even the Airbag can hurt her.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-c...a-car_69792.bc

Hi Guys.

I am right now looking at the Skoda Rapid website and it looks like there are 2 new variants that have been added namely "Active Plus" and "Ambition Plus" to the existing "Active", "Ambition" and "Elegance" variants. Please pardon me if these 2 variants were already available.

Below is the link to the website. However there is no pricing detail given for these 2 new variants. Can any one confirm if this is for real?

I also see features like Chrome trim on air conditioning vents and duct sliders, SKODA audio player, 2-DIN,Security code for audio player, Front and rear speakers, Aux provision, SD/MMC data card reader, Electrically adjustable external mirrors, One-touch automatic operation in the "Ambition Plus" Variant which are not there in the "Ambition" variant.

Features like Remote control with foldable key, Remote control locking and unlocking of doors and boot lid, Electrically adjustable external mirrors in the "Active Plus" variant which are not in there in the "Active" variant.

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/mode.../features.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy (Post 2908351)
When I travel with her alone, I prefer her to be in the front seat ( actually I keep the baby seat in the front seat), so that I can keep a close look on her.

Sam, as nik has rightly pointed out the only place that the baby seat and the baby can be is the back seat - please do not take any chance with that especially in cars with air bag. The rear seat cushions the best for any frontal impact. Engage the child lock ( you have to use the car key for that , at least thats how it is in Vento and I think Rapid would be no different) which would prevent the door from being opened from inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by souravc

Sam, as nik has rightly pointed out the only place that the baby seat and the baby can be is the back seat - please do not take any chance with that especially in cars with air bag. The rear seat cushions the best for any frontal impact. Engage the child lock ( you have to use the car key for that , at least thats how it is in Vento and I think Rapid would be no different) which would prevent the door from being opened from inside.

Guys... I do agree with the front seat seating. I have not done this in Rapid. I have made her sit in I10 which does not have airbags. In rapid too I ve only driver seat airbag.

My daughter like my dad, never wants to sit in the back seat. Terrible two is the age group description !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy (Post 2908505)
Guys... I do agree with the front seat seating. I have not done this in Rapid. I have made her sit in I10 which does not have airbags. In rapid too I ve only driver seat airbag.

My daughter like my dad, never wants to sit in the back seat. Terrible two is the age group description !!!

Airbags or no airbags the kid should never ever be on the front seat. In many countries its a punishable offence. Kids would be adamant on their point, but it is our duty to tell them whats right for them.

Even if there are no airbags, the plastics of the dash board are hard enough for any untowards incident. Would rather request you to please get your kid seated in the back seat.

Congrats on your Rapid! Please do post an ownership review, and drive safe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy

If the child is occupying the front seat, it has to be in rear-facing child seat, that too with passenger airbag off. Now that she is already 2, the best place for her should be in the rear seat, properly secured in a child seat. Ignore her unhappiness for a couple of days, and she will be a happy rear seat passenger for many years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_boy (Post 2908505)

I understand your scenario. But we need to insist and get make sure kids do sit ONLY in the back seat & engage child locks on (both) doors. So when she is alone & moves to the other side & tries to open the door, she is still safe.

On the ways to convince her to occupy the seat, the easiest way is offer a candy when she sits in the back seat, or keep some soft toys at the back to keep her busy! :)

I was disappointed after finding the driving seat of Rapid cramped. I was expecting more as it is a Sedan. My thigh was way above the seat even with the seat pushed all the way back - I am 6' 2" tall. I was surprised as my Getz offers much better space for the driver. The seat height adjuster was of no help here.

Vento is my only hope. Any idea how is the space in Vento compared to Rapid? No other car in the segment excites me, though I love the space and seat height in SX4. Hope the next version of SX4 diesel will have an exciting engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins
I was disappointed after finding the driving seat of Rapid cramped. I was expecting more as it is a Sedan. My thigh was way above the seat even with the seat pushed all the way back - I am 6' 2" tall. I was surprised as my Getz offers much better space for the driver. The seat height adjuster was of no help here.

Vento is my only hope. Any idea how is the space in Vento compared to Rapid? No other car in the segment excites me, though I love the space and seat height in SX4. Hope the next version of SX4 diesel will have an exciting engine.

Surprising bit of feedback here!
I am also 6 feet and 2 inches tall and I found the Rapid and the Vento comfortable in the Driving seat! To add to it, I am a bulky chap as well.
However, I do find their stance a little too low for my comfort. This is probably only because I have been driving much taller vehicles for the last 9 to 10 years or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 2908597)

I perfectly understand your situation. I was in the same position couple of weeks back. Its the instrument pannel which must be hitting your left knee. That was one thing for which I took 2 weeks to book the car. But after 2 days of owning it, i can conclude that this is no problem. A little bit of adjustment and you are there in the sweet spot. Moreover, I too have a hyundai car and you are bound to find the legroom different. As I said it is different, definitely not cramped. I bet, you would love the leg space in Linea, but people complain about Linea too.

Sorry to inform you, Vento's leg space for the driver is no different than Rapid's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2908593)
I understand your scenario. But we need to insist and get make sure kids do sit ONLY in the back seat & engage child locks on (both) doors. So when she is alone & moves to the other side & tries to open the door, she is still safe.

On the ways to convince her to occupy the seat, the easiest way is offer a candy when she sits in the back seat, or keep some soft toys at the back to keep her busy! :)

Thanks a lot guys for your wonderful suggestions. Will definitely make special arrangements for her in the rear seat :thumbs up.

Hi folks! I am looking for a C segment diesel sedan and am quite impressed with the Skoda Rapid. What makes me hesitate is the long list of complaints about the After Sales Service. Are the Skoda people so bad or is it only a few buyers complaining? I am presently basedin Trichy, Tamilnadu and the sole dealer is Gurudev Motors. Is there anyone from Trichy with a Skoda on Team -BHP? If yes, are they any good or should I stay away from Skoda?

I am looking for booking Rapid at Vinayak Cars Pvt. Ltd. Sadashiv Nagar, Bangalore (http://www.vinayakcars.com).

Have few questions,As this is 1st time I will be dealing with Skoda, if to many concerns with with, as option B planning for Maruti Ertiga.