Team-BHP - Nissan Sunny Diesel : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Nissan Sunny Diesel : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/114769-nissan-sunny-diesel-test-drive-review-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2658638)
What you won't: • Noticeable road-noise once you get up to highway speeds

Now I know why the dealer at Secunderabad refused a TD to me.

I had carried the cheque book along and am so happy that he refused, it saved me the headache of having had to cancel the booking later.

I am now thinking between Etios and Manza, the two most VFM in this range.

Nice Republic Day surprise, thanks:thumbs up. I was actually planning to PM you today asking when this one is going to be up. To me, this looks like a seriously VFM option in this segment & its nice to know that -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2658641)
Minimal turbo lag. You can even lug quite comfortably at a surprisingly low 800 - 1000 rpm in most gears.

I didn't expect this one to be FTD so its not a surprise that the Vento is way ahead in terms of being a driver's car but your review reinforces the fact that the Sunny is definitely a work-horse and the acres of rear space & legroom make this a viable option for us to consider when we replace the Fiesta! But this is surely a cause for concern, sounds like another Fortuner in the offing -
Quote:

The brakes are not confidence inspiring. They do a decent job of stopping the car once they start to engage, but the pedal feels very dull and unresponsive for the first part of its travel. This isn’t free play in the pedal, the brakes just seem somewhat slow to react, and there’s no feedback from them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2658642)
• Nissan Micra <==> Renault Pulse. Should we expect a re-badged Sunny from Renault soon? Or will they bring in their own competitor for this segment...

And that's really food for thought. Although I'm wondering what Renault's pricing strategy is going to be - given the way they've overpriced the Fluence and killed it at launch.......

Any idea what kind of warranty options are being offered on the Sunny Diesel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottobesaid (Post 2658991)
I am also in a fix. Choice is between Vento D HL and Sunny D XL.

My problem is that the car will be driven by driver, most of the time. So need help.

Also any idea about Sunny D - AC performance, keeping in view the huge cabin space.

Hey I have been also trying to choose between these 2 cars. Check out this thread. May be it will help making things simpler for you ( or may be more complicated :D).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...vento-tdi.html

Hope it helps.

The Nissan Sunny D is a very nice option for a reliable chauffeur driven car. And this will be cheap to run as well. The space is just amazing. The design is not head turning but the Sunny doesn't look too bad either. The increased wheelbase over the Micra helps a lot here.

Quote:

The difference between 1st and 2nd is quite small, or rather, it seemed like 2nd gear was quite short.

Won't this help a lot while traversing all those unscientific speed-breakers? No need to shift down to 1st or lug the engine in 2nd to cross them. It will run like an AT with all that torque and the short cog.

The low end torque in this car is just amazing and I feel in the long run it will become a major USP of the car along with the "caaar' ofcourse.
The good thing is that the SA are also aware of the same and keep encouraging you to slot into 5th at 30-40 kmph to make you see the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 2658971)
Thank you for the review Rehaan. Great job.

Am considering this car so had a couple of questions for you:

1) Which one would you rather drive everyday in the city : Sunny or Vento ?
2) Which one has the better ride: Sunny or Vento ?
3) What are the extended warranty options Nissan is offering on the Sunny Diesel?
4) Any idea about Nissan's spare parts and servicing cost?

1. Sunny or Vento, each has good amount of torque
2. Both have equally good ride
3. I think 1 yr additional warranty other than existing 2 yrs.
4. Petrol servicing cost must be minimal 1k-1.2k every service unless very major. Diesel will be expensive but should not cross phenomenally high figures. Spares will be expensive i am trying to source the rates for the same.

Quote:

You can even lug quite comfortably at a surprisingly low 800 - 1000 rpm in most gears. Just like the Micra it will lug at 40 km/h, 4th gear @ 1200 rpm – this is probably made possible by the ECU’s anti-stall feature which opens up the throttle slightly (you’ll feel a bit of acceleration once the revs drop closer to 1000 rpm). Cruising along at low RPM with barely any throttle, it barely sounds like a diesel. Even at 10 – 15 km/h in 2nd gear, you don’t hear any of that “loose” mechanical clatter. In fact, for some strange reason, I felt like I enjoyed driving the less powerful Micra dCi a little more than the Sunny – perhaps the gear ratios and vehicle size at play?

When going up the revs the engine gets a little less eager at 4,200 rpm, but its still not at a point where its screaming at you, or really struggling to carry on – power tapers of very gradually. Even though the redline is marked at 4,500 rpm on the dials, the car will pull to about 5,100 rpm before the ECU actually cuts off the fuel supply smoothly.
From our drive, it seemed like the gear ratios were spread out a bit unevenly. The difference between 1st and 2nd is quite small, or rather, it seemed like 2nd gear was quite short. 1st gear would top out at 40 km/h, 2nd at 80 km/h and then 3rd all the way at 125 km/h. This isn't something that will cause any sort of inconvenience, but it did seem a little strange.

Interesting points noted there. If the engine is able to lug around at low rpms ,does it have any thing to do with the gear ratios ?

1st gear 40kmph and 2nd at 80kmph, 3rd at 125kmph will never be used in real life situations. at-least those who know how to drive a diesel. Wonder what would be the FE with this kind of driving on the highway :D.
For diesels aren't we supposed to up-shift early and use the 3rd,4th and 5th gears. For the turbo charged diesels the fun starts in 3rd gear.

This is how I drive on the highway on my swift. 1st never used, 2nd till 45kmph, 3rd till 70kmph, 4th till 100kmph, 5th I would settle at 120kmph.
Top speed attained in 5th with this kind of upshifting was 150kmph (for few seconds) with still some room to go which I never dared to.
ROAD: NH4.

Interesting to know why nissan would tune/adjust the gear ratios in such way.

And what were we trying by testing these speeds during our review, was it done to test the top speed ?

Lovely review, Nissan is making the right moves, by not giving the Diesel Sunny the step-motherly treatment that was vetted out to Diesel Micra. Now all it needs to fix is a decent spread of dealer network so as to compete with other Japs in the same/similar segment.

It will be interesting to see what numbers Diesel Sunny brings in for Nissan, as its competing against the likes of Dezire and Manza (Not for forget Toyota).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 (Post 2659443)
It will be interesting to see what numbers Diesel Sunny brings in for Nissan, as its competing against the likes of Dezire and Manza (Not for forget Toyota).

I don't know about the Petrol Sunny's pricing but the diesel version is surely not competing with the entry level sedans like Dzire, Etios and Manza. Even Rehaan mentioned the same. This car is built better, interiors feel a lot more plush and premium, features are loaded even for the XL variant and is a lot more spacious too. I would not be lying by calling it outright luxurious when compared to the other three cars mentioned above.

This is going to compete with the bigger players of the C segment.

Thanks Rehaan for excellent review!

The positioning of Sunny D makes sense in mid/upper C segment. Among the Japanese descent cars, Etios & DZire are at entry level, Honda doesn't yet have a diesel, SX4 hasn't really taken off and lacks space / premium feel for all its size. For those who seek reliability, Sunny has limited competition. It's mainly New Verna from Korean Hyundai that Sunny has to contend with. Both have their own strengths and Sunny D ought to attract a good number of buyers in the dieselizing market. Good move on the part of Nissan avoiding direct confrontation with the mighty Dzire and worthy challenger Etios!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyd_traveller (Post 2659136)

I had carried the cheque book along and am so happy that he refused, it saved me the headache of having had to cancel the booking later.

I am now thinking between Etios and Manza, the two most VFM in this range.

On overall NVH front, isn't Etios one of the weakest? Of course, you can mitigate road noise somewhat with underbody coating - but it's there alright. Manza does score better on this aspect in my experience.

Another good family workhorse to choose from then.

R,

Questions:

1. To have bumped power up by 20bhp for essentially the same engine, do we know what has been tweaked?

2. Roughly at what RPM does the turbo kick in?

3. Does 5th gear feel short- since the TD observations suggest this car has been optimized for city driving ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2658662)
Well, I would love to know how would it perform under cornering & also comfort on undulated road sections?

From the bonnet pics, I don't see any carpeting at all! Is the motor supremely refined?! Guess a tyre upgrade would take care of the road noise?

The car is a very neutral handler. Cornering was no fuss at all. Also, it manages to carry quite a lot of speed over less than perfect roads without troubling the passengers too much.

The road noise was a lot. I don't think even a tyre upgrade would eliminate it. I feel it requires more noise damping, especially in the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2658692)
How did you find the Clutch in your TD car? It was very very light in the car I drove.

The clutch is nothing to complain about. Its not heavy at-all, but not even the lightest clutch out there. The bit point is fairly spread out and so the launches can be smooth.

The only issue were the pedal heights. The clutch is way too high relative to the brake pedal. Thus the left foot has to folded at all times and this can get tiring after a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeshmani (Post 2658823)
1. The suspension must have changed to handle the heavier diesel engine. How has that changed the handling over bad roads and under cornering?
2. How is the steering feedback?
3. Did you get a chance to drive with 3 passengers in the rear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkg (Post 2658999)
BTW,how was the steering response on high speeds?

1. As i said before in this post, the handling is quite neutral.
2 There is some steering feedback but it is not enough to be an involving drive. It handles bad roads fairly well. I was doing a very decent speed over a twisty and not so good road, and the car managed it well.
3. We did not drive with more than 1 passenger at the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 2659371)
If the engine is able to lug around at low rpms ,does it have any thing to do with the gear ratios ?

And what were we trying by testing these speeds during our review, was it done to test the top speed ?

1. Yes, it has to do with gear ratio's and ECU tuning. What we show here mainly is the low end torque of the engine

2. No, we were running on public roads and hence we limited our speed to about 120 kmph. We have put this here to show the difference between the gear ratios, especially between 2nd and 3rd.

Quote:

Well, I would love to know how would it perform under cornering & also comfort on undulated road sections?

Jalsa777 has touched upon this above. For more info, do check the main / petrol review. Everything about ride and handling is pretty much identical.

Quote:

From the bonnet pics, I don't see any carpeting at all! Is the motor supremely refined?! Guess a tyre upgrade would take care of the road noise?

Surprising right? Not sure how much damping there is on the firewall etc, but i was surprised too.

Tyre upgrade might help a little, but like jalsa777 said, i think its the lack of damping in th wheel wells etc thats letting this noise come through. Though its really not a deal-breaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 2658686)
I believe, Nissan created the confusion themselves by staging the petrol variants in competition with the Manza/Dezire/Etios (C1) and then positioning the diesels in direct competition to Rapide/Vento/Verna etc (C2).

Well, they came in with killer pricing on the petrol, and average pricing on the diesel. Can't blame them!

Another interesting point was raised in the earlier thread (where a lot of people felt the diesel was overpriced) >

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 2608213)
Looking at other cars in the market, I see the average difference between a petrol and diesel cars to be around 80K to 1.2 lakh - I am talking about a comparison between similar make/model and variant. I think Nissan would have definitely considered before pricing the car. Considering that an unstated standard, and If the petrol car is priced well, how can one say that diesel is overpriced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2658692)
Last but not the Least: Having driven it properly, what would you advice me? You know my dilemma I guess. Should I go for the Vento HL or the Sunny XL?

Haven't read your whole thread, but i think you've decided Vento right? Stick with that if you will be doing the driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeshmani (Post 2658823)
1. The suspension must have changed to handle the heavier diesel engine. How has that changed the handling over bad roads and under cornering?
2. How is the steering feedback?

The suspension has probably been tweaked a bit for the heavier motor, but theres virtually no change in the handling and ride that we reported on in the petrol test drive. Same for the steering.

Quote:

1) Which one would you rather drive everyday in the city : Sunny or Vento ?

For self-drive, i'd pick the Vento.

Quote:

2) Which one has the better ride: Sunny or Vento ?

Sorry, haven't spent enough time in the back of a Vento.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottobesaid (Post 2658991)
My concern is which one is hassel free as I don't want to go to service stations for niggling issues. Also I heard that Vento D needs engine oil top-up??

My problem is that the car will be driven by driver, most of the time.

... Pretty much everything your saying points to the Sunny no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkg (Post 2658999)
It seems that Nissan hasn't improved/worked upon on these for Sunny.

True. I thought atleast the gearbox or brakes would be improved, but sadly not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SedatedDrive (Post 2659098)
Could you please add an inside shot of the rear seat?

The full interior review with tons of pictures is here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2512993

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyd_traveller (Post 2659136)

The road noise is hardly such a deal breaker that he wouldn't give you a highway test drive! He probably had other concerns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 2659302)
Won't this help a lot while traversing all those unscientific speed-breakers? No need to shift down to 1st or lug the engine in 2nd to cross them. It will run like an AT with all that torque and the short cog.

Yep. This is what makes 2nd gear worthy at even such slow speeds. What we were pointing out was the disparity between 2nd and 3rd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 2659371)

It was done to give a real-world indication of the difference between the gear ratios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 2659620)
1. To have bumped power up by 20bhp for essentially the same engine, do we know what has been tweaked?

I could guess, but there was no mention as to exactly what was done.

Quote:

2. Roughly at what RPM does the turbo kick in?

1800 - 2100 RPM it spins up.

Quote:

3. Does 5th gear feel short- since the TD observations suggest this car has been optimized for city driving ?

5th gear, nope. In fact the gearing doesn't seem short. Its just that in comparison to 2nd gear, 3rd seems quite tall.

cya
R

Nice review. Thanks! :thumbs up

I suppose, Mahindra's Verito fills in the space for a low end Sunny Diesel - In terms of catering to the Taxi segment. Another choice from Nissan with the similar price band and with the same engine, would have had Taxi drivers thinking - Given that the quality of Nissan to be much higher than Mahindra.

I think even in future, Nissan will not launch a lower end version of Sunny to safe guard their image.

I test drove the Sunny and Rapid back-to-back today. From a driver's perspective, Rapid is superior. Although the leg room in Sunny is phenomenal, I was disappointed with the head/shoulder room. 3 well built adults cannot sit comfortably. Manza still rules the roost as far as rear head room is concerned. Cabin noise in Sunny too is an irritant but should not be a deal breaker.