Team-BHP - Renault Duster : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Renault Duster : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/123824-renault-duster-official-review-117.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodcrawler (Post 2993707)
Maverick555, as far as I know, Renault has never had an RxL(O) in110PS. The RxL(O) version is the top end version of the 85PS series. If you using the car primarily for city driving, it is a good option to consider - 85PS RxL (O)

Thanks ,Even i was not aware that RXL also comes with option pack.
Hope you have checked the link in my last post(Nitinz ownership thread on 110 PSRXL(o) model).

The reason why i don't want to go for 85PS RXL(O) is the rear AC duct placement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick555 (Post 2993716)
Thanks ,Even i was not aware that RXL also comes with option pack.
Hope you have checked the link in my last post(Nitinz ownership thread on 110 PSRXL(o) model).

The reason why i don't want to go for 85PS RXL(O) is the rear AC duct placement.

Renault had introduced 110 PS RXL(O) for a short time after which it was discontinued. Nitinz is the only bhpian to own this model AFAIK.
85PS RXL(O) doesn't come with rear AC vents. Its only the RxZ models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhirajs (Post 2993546)
Duster Prices to increase by another 1.5 % from Jan 2013 onwards!

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...ar-prices/3375

In Bangalore that will translate to a ~ 16K hike in the ex-showroom price. I wonder if price-protection will be offered this time around.
I'll repeat what i have been saying for some time, Duster is slowly slipping out of my budget and to add, Renault might resort to cost cutting by dropping features (my fear only, not a fact) :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd.bell (Post 2993720)
Renault had introduced 110 PS RXL(O) for a short time after which it was discontinued. Nitinz is the only bhpian to own this model AFAIK.
85PS RXL(O) doesn't come with rear AC vents. Its only the RxZ models.

Nice,i will check this again :thumbs up.
I think then 85 PS RXL(o) looks fine(it will used mostly for city driving) ,Also the dealer is ready to give delivery within 15 days for this model.

The only doubt i have is regarding its performance on highways with 4 adults on board + luggage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWD (Post 2993554)
...Regarding the PS, I guess when the ignition key is in, the steering does not lock up. It locks only when key is taken out. Atleast this is what I've experienced in my cars, don't know about Duster but should be same in all cars....

You are right about the steering not locking while key in ignition. But I was NOT talking about that. In vehicles with electronic PS (especially from Maruti stable), once you switch off the engine, the steering simply refuses to work & becomes stiff! Same goes for brakes too. Even the key in ignition ON mode (where the lights in console comes up - just before cranking the engine) the steering & brakes behave the same way.

Thought other vehicles with power steering also behave this way & hence I suggested what I wrote. Had you been driving a Maruti, you would neither have been able to turn the car at the dead end nor stop it, with the engine cut off. And yeah, this comes from a very scary personal experience of mine with a Wagon R!

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick555 (Post 2993744)
...The only doubt i have is regarding its performance on highways with 4 adults on board + luggage.

It should still be 'cruiser' in highway & 120 kmph should not be a problem at all. I believe this variant is proved to be much better in FE too on the forum I guess.

************************************************** *********************************

I believe all the 20+ FE claims on the forum are from the 85 PS variant(?). BHP'ians, What's the BEST FE recorded on 110 PS version so far?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2993882)
once you switch off the engine, the steering simply refuses to work & becomes stiff.
Had you been driving a Maruti, you would neither have been able to turn the car at the dead end nor stop it, with the engine cut off

Yes the steering does become heavy when ignition is off. The affect would be felt moreso on parking or slow speeds. While if the vehicle is in momentum, working on the steering remains easy. I've driven Marutis extensively, when standing or at parking speeds, the steering becomes heavy with ignition off. While one can extract some advantage if you know the art of manouvering the steering with momentum. The same works with cars without P.S.

Quote:

Nice,i will check this again :thumbs up.
I think then 85 PS RXL(o) looks fine(it will used mostly for city driving) ,Also the dealer is ready to give delivery within 15 days for this model.

The only doubt i have is regarding its performance on highways with 4 adults on board + luggage.

Does 110 with said load just fine. I personally do not drive above 110, so I cannot comment if 85 PS is ideal for 150 kmph speeds.

Yes city driving is a big plus for 85PS model. You can almost drive it like a petrol, almost nil turbolag and good torque is boon in cities.

Just to add, it gives great mileage if driven with care and love without thrashing it like a rally car.

17kmpl is cities and 23+ kmpl on highways is what I get.

/Oh boy, I suddenly look like a Renault Salesman. lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhirajs (Post 2993546)
Duster Prices to increase by another 1.5 % from Jan 2013 onwards!

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...ar-prices/3375

True. Renault plans to increase prices of its automobiles in India by up to 1.5 per cent with effect from January 1, 2013.agree::Frustrati
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroback (Post 2994071)
Does 110 with said load just fine. I personally do not drive above 110, so I cannot comment if 85 PS is ideal for 150 kmph speeds.

Yes city driving is a big plus for 85PS model. You can almost drive it like a petrol, almost nil turbolag and good torque is boon in cities.

Just to add, it gives great mileage if driven with care and love without thrashing it like a rally car.

17kmpl is cities and 23+ kmpl on highways is what I get.

/Oh boy, I suddenly look like a Renault Salesman. lol:

I think my requirements are almost similar so 85 PS makes more sense .

These days Renault salesman are busy in selling 110PS and not 85PS due to long waiting queue:D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

You are right about the steering not locking while key in ignition. But I was NOT talking about that. In vehicles with electronic PS (especially from Maruti stable), once you switch off the engine, the steering simply refuses to work & becomes stiff! Same goes for brakes too. Even the key in ignition ON mode (where the lights in console comes up - just before cranking the engine) the steering & brakes behave the same way.

Thought other vehicles with power steering also behave this way & hence I suggested what I wrote. Had you been driving a Maruti, you would neither have been able to turn the car at the dead end nor stop it, with the engine cut off. And yeah, this comes from a very scary personal experience of mine with a Wagon R!

Edit:

It should still be 'cruiser' in highway & 120 kmph should not be a problem at all. I believe this variant is proved to be much better in FE too on the forum I guess.

************************************************** *********************************

I believe all the 20+ FE claims on the forum are from the 85 PS variant(?). BHP'ians, What's the BEST FE recorded on 110 PS version so far?

I have got a FE of 15.1 KMPL till date in my 110 PS. I have done around 2700 kms with a lot if hill driving in 2 & 3rd gear. AC is on around 80% of the time and it's an average calculated using an app with all full tank to full tank method. Fellow 110 owners please update about your FE and whether what I have been getting is very low ? I have never exceeded 110 Km/hr speed and am a sedate driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead1981 (Post 2994187)
I have got a FE of 15.1 KMPL till date in my 110 PS. I have done around 2700 kms with a lot if hill driving in 2 & 3rd gear. AC is on around 80% of the time and it's an average calculated using an app with all full tank to full tank method. Fellow 110 owners please update about your FE and whether what I have been getting is very low ? I have never exceeded 110 Km/hr speed and am a sedate driver.

I got 15.1kmpl outside city with full AC on and 14.9 in City-Bangalore with occasional AC on
I just tried speeding up to 140kph from 100kph

In 100kph, engine is in 2250 rpm which Turbo kicks and acceleration is too good in that range in 6th
I almost crossed 2900 Km
My old car is petrol swift which I was using for drives to Kerala and long drives was bit tiring - ( But not as bad as some other hatches and I love it driving outside city ) ,
But in Duster, I am not feeling tired even after 520 km drive

Anyone knows whats the kms/period for second service ?

Quote:

Hello Maverick!

I took delivery of my 85 PS RxL (O) exactly 3 months ago and have so far done about 3200 km. At least on two occasions I have taken my vehicle on long highway drives and never once did I feel the vehicle was under powered. (3 adults plus two medium size suitcases.)

And as someone else has mentioned in this forum, this variant is also ideal for stop-go traffic in the city and delivers excellent mileage as well!

Normally this is a variant with a 2-3 months waiting period, so if the dealer is willing to give you within 15 days, I would say just go for it!

All the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rada (Post 2994293)
Hello Maverick!

I took delivery of my 85 PS RxL (O) exactly 3 months ago and have so far done about 3200 km. At least on two occasions I have taken my vehicle on long highway drives and never once did I feel the vehicle was under powered. (3 adults plus two medium size suitcases.)

And as someone else has mentioned in this forum, this variant is also ideal for stop-go traffic in the city and delivers excellent mileage as well!

Normally this is a variant with a 2-3 months waiting period, so if the dealer is willing to give you within 15 days, I would say just go for it!

All the best!

Thanks for the update Rada.
Not sure when to take the delivery.Should i ask dealer regarding 2013 manufactured model and take the delivery in January ?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick555 (Post 2994310)

Thanks for the update Rada.
Not sure when to take the delivery.Should i ask dealer regarding 2013 manufactured model and take the delivery in January ?.

If you want a 2013 manufactured car, you mostly will get that only by mid Jan atleast considering 15 days transit time (on an average). Considering that 85 PS variants are manufactured very less in number & due to the waiting periods, if you leave this chance, someone else may take delivery. You may also not receive another one soon.

Take your call based on these factors. Also if it were me, I will take delivery or register the car in Jan for those extra resale benefit. A lot of people may not agree saying that while selling it, people look for VIN & not registration date. But I say those people belong to 20% & rest 80% will not look at VIN during resale!

Renault plan price hike from Jan 2013.

Quote:

The price increase will be up to 1.5 per cent across the range and will be effective from January one, 2013
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17663202.cms