Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2013, 10:35   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar F-Type : Driven

Excellent review and amazing snaps there!

The thing that caught my eye first was the jog dials for the AC controls integrated with the neat tiny backlit display:

Something I haven't noticed in other cars before (or may be I haven't paid much attention to the innards of other rides so please pardon me for that!). This one saves space and looks a lot elegant. I don't suppose this would be costing any higher than providing separate displays above the dials - about time others take a note of this.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:55   #32
Team-BHP Support

Lucky guy Jaggu

What an absolute beauty! Such a classy design and I really love that rear end. There's no shortage of muscle either.

Interestingly if you see the spy shots of the F-Type testing in India, it looks rather large.

Q: Does the V8 S not get rear fog-lights?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent photographs mate. This is truly world-class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Jaguar has moved away from that pop-up rotary gear-selector for good, and gone back to the more traditional stick.
Why?

That was probably the main highlights of a modern Jaguar interior. This is like going back in time. I think they've left the conventional sports-car appeal sink in a little too deep here.

Quote:
The AC vent design is quite nifty, it stays out of sight when you don't need it:

And when its time to cool, out it comes:
This is a pretty cool feature, and I realized that I had completely missed the absence of the the louvers when I was watching the stand-alone dashboard photographs.

Quote:
We get the V6 S for the track and I am not complaining. Yes, the V8 S would have been more interesting, but I spoke to couple of Jaguar engineers and they all vouched for the V6 S being their personal favorite.
Very convenient on Jaguar's behalf to save the best for the track. I'm sure the V6S is more fun round corners than the nose heavy V8, but had they provided V8S, it would have been an interesting comparison.
AyAn! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:50   #34
BHPian

What awesome review coupled with amazing Pics!!!
Aahhh!!!
I am having a hard time figuring out which one to make my PC wallpaper
And very comprehensive review to top it off.
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 12:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that black colour one with gun metal alloys looks gorgeous. Thanks for the wonderful photos and review.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 12:28   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Excellent review. Do you know what is the function of the "stealth" mode displayed on the MID?
If i am not mistaken its for the DRL settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Did the instructor have controls for the brake etc. on his side as well?He seemed a bit intrusive throughout the lap in the video.
Lol no, he was a very sweet chap but very careful so that neither the car or the occupants are in trouble. He would only intrude on that shift lever and that too occasionally. Which you can silently correct back using paddles No brakes etc, that's him adjusting to my driving style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Q: Does the V8 S not get rear fog-lights?

cya
R
Thanks Rehaan and also for all the help behind the scene!

Fog lights and reverse lights are at the bottom of the bumper. This was done on purpose at design. End result is that brilliant rear cluster lamps that blend into the rear form of the body.

The fog (red) are on the left side of the bumper, and hence not noticed.

EDIT: Rehaan you are absolutely right the V8S is missing the "Fog" lights! My bad.

Jaguar F-Type : Driven-firesand_v8s_097-copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
That was probably the main highlights of a modern Jaguar interior. This is like going back in time. I think they've left the conventional sports-car appeal sink in a little too deep here.
Though it may look like a step backwards, i feel its a right one matching the theme. On a racetrack there are many people (including me) who would prefer to have a stick shift feel. The paddles are fun, but taking corners with one hand quickly shifting the lever would be more fun right. Its fair when you look at the overall essence. Also selecting dynamic mode is a breeze in this, against rotating a drum and looking at MID for confirmation etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Very convenient on Jaguar's behalf to save the best for the track. I'm sure the V6S is more fun round corners than the nose heavy V8, but had they provided V8S, it would have been an interesting comparison.
The suspension and E diff would ensure things are on track and not off, but yes it would have bee fun twitching and turning more on the track

Weight difference and weight balance difference though might be minimal, about 50 Kg overall, E Diff has been added which would go to the center, so upfront the weight would not be way different.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2013 at 20:47.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:57   #37
BHPian

Great review Jaggu. The details in the review are awesome and the pictures are to die for. The way you detailed the country side drive made me feel that I did the drive myself. BRAVO!

I only have one complaint! The track video should have had more of the addictive exhaust note... however, due to the amount of wind whipping on the camera, all I could hear was the Wind, with a very low note of the exhaust audible. BTW - great drive on the track too - I could see the co-pilot gesticulating wildly - assume he was pointing out the racing line?
Jeash.vk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 14:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, marvelous review, you seem to have set the benchmark for attention to detail... the carpet quality & weight, graph for a-pedal input (it seems that like you pressed to 90% only ), & the other tech details of the the car, you have covered almost everything & pointed few faults (albeit minor) in a near flawless product (kudos to TBHP quality tradition for the reviews).

This car is my favourite these days, & had been to the configuration website as well, for my F-type... only if I had the dough.

Rated the thread 5-stars.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 14:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Beautiful review and of course beautiful car!! Fantastic review, thoroughly enjoyed reading it on a Friday afternoon. If and when I can afford it, I would prefer to have it in the red colour. Absolutely wonderful looking shade of red; and also I have become a fan of Jaguar after seeing this beauty. I am sure it must have been much more beautiful in flesh!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 17:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeash.vk View Post
I only have one complaint! The track video should have had more of the addictive exhaust note... however, due to the amount of wind whipping on the camera, all I could hear was the Wind, with a very low note of the exhaust audible. BTW - great drive on the track too - I could see the co-pilot gesticulating wildly - assume he was pointing out the racing line?
Yes unfortunately, the Gopro was catching all the wind noise. Me and my instructor were having mostly conversation about track driving, his professional stuff. The place where he is mimicking steering is, he explaining how a rally driver will flick around where as a track driver will not and he suspect its my offroad drive experience which makes me calm with steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
it seems that like you pressed to 90% only.
Disclaimer: Not my graph, i don't think i would have touched 90% throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Wow! Beautiful review and of course beautiful car!!===== If and when I can afford it, I would prefer to have it in the red colour. Absolutely wonderful looking shade of red; and also I have become a fan of Jaguar after seeing this beauty. I am sure it must have been much more beautiful in flesh!
Yes car is much better in real life and Red's are awesome. I hear this was not the original plan (to have these red's), but a very wise decision at the end of the day to have introduced it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2013 at 17:26.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 17:35   #41

Awesome car. Awesome review!! Launch planned for India by mid-2013? Surely the upscale wives would love to have one of these beasts!
Ironhood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 23:11   #42
BHPian

Finally the legend has got a true successor. What a design!! What a place to be in!! Way to go, Jaguar. Can't wait to see it in flesh... Thanks for the detailed review. You've given us what could be the closest to seeing it in real and driving around...
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 00:14   #43
Team-BHP Support

Ah well, what can I say Jaggu! You're one lucky fellow!

Driving a barking mad Jag sports car in Spain is something that's on the bucket-list for most people. And you've gone and done it! Sensational stuff!

And you've done complete justice in penning this phenomenal review. Intricate, crisp and perfect! Even by international standards, this review kicks butt. I'd put Chris Harris' video reviews right up there with this written review on the car.

So which one would you take? Or rather, which one sounds better? The V6 or the V8?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 01:21   #44
BHPian

Outstanding review, thank you so much. My big beef with the last season of Top Gear is that they feature or review the F-type at all. The F definitely finds a spot in my dream garage (along with the V12 Vantage stick shift).

Speaking of stick shifts, while I think the F is a stunning car with brilliant dynamics and performance, I really mourn the absence of a proper manual shifter. Nothing that can be done about it I suppose - the manual gearbox really has become an endangered species. I guess I should just make my peace with it.

Btw.. since you've already gotten the 5-star review, I thought I'd show my appreciation for this superb review by thanking each one of your posts individually! Cheers!

Last edited by ghostrider : 25th May 2013 at 01:24.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 14:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So which one would you take? Or rather, which one sounds better? The V6 or the V8?
Thanks Suhaas, V8 obviously sounds better but if i were in India i would be happy with the V6S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
the manual gearbox really has become an endangered species. I guess I should just make my peace with it.
Thank you ghostrider for the kind words, and as you rightly pointed out the days of the manual shift is over. None of the mainstream manufacturers are now investing much on development of these manual box's, and one can't really blame them. Whatever said and done, manual shift can't match the speed of shift the autobox's offer. Plus having a manual clutch really complicates matter when it goes into a 300-400 bhps engine combo. So i guess these manual mode is the best compromise one can have now on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks