Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-464.html)

Hi EcoSport owners,

Contemplating to change to EcoSport diesel from my present car-Verna Fludic 1.6 CRDI. Reason- higher GC, easy ingress/egress, Verna's poor ride quality etc. Need your inputs please:

1. Can the engine cover be retrofitted ? Is lack of this causing any problems including more engine noise creeping into the cabin?

2. Any rattling issues ?

3. FE on tank full method with AC in cities & highways ( @ what speed? ).

4. Which variant is most VFM- Titanium (o) or Titanium.

5. How stiff is the ride quality at slow speeds with the driver alone inside the car?

6. How silent is the cabin on highways with regard to engine,wind & tyre noise creeping in and if any one has experienced Verna 1.6 CRDI, I would appreciate a comparo. Silent cabin is one of my top priorities?

7. What is the comfortable cruising speed on four lane highways, if road condition and traffic are no limiting factors.

8. What about servicing & maintenance cost ? Is the so called child parts useful ?

9. If any one has used tuning box/remap, please share the experience.

I feel these queries would have been answered else where, sorry for the repetition, if any. I had an inconclusive short TD few months back & short of liked it.

Thanks

The ecosport is a segment down. The Verna 1.6CRDI with 6 speed has performance and efficiency in a league of it's own and the ecosport is no match.

The back seat has more space in the Verna than Ecosport. Just for ground clearance you are losing more.

Try upgrading tyres on verna and add the coil spring adjusters:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-30.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjab (Post 3416191)
Gateway Ford is not exactly the epitome of efficiency when it comes to operations. I personally had unpalatable experiences with them, around 4 years back.
You may want to try another Ford dealer in Gangtok, Sikkim. I think its called Saharsh Motors and their workshop is located just before Mayfair Resort (on the opposite side of the highway)
I understand you live in Darjeeling (from your profile tag) so there will be a slight increase in travelling distance for service visits to Sikkim. In case you decide to visit, maybe it would be better if you can ask them beforehand / book a service etc. Saharsh Ford, Gangtok is owned by the same person who owns Bajla Motors at Siliguri (Salugara, Tata dealers). Maybe they will be able to put you in touch with the right person to talk to.

Drive safe & have fun with the beauty! Next time i visit Darj (my fav place) will take a look at your ES! :)

Thank you so much, Arjab. I will definitely visit Saharsh motors next month and maybe transfer my car service there because I have a feeling that it is going to be difficult in Gateway Ford. You are most welcome anytime to drop in at my place when you are in Darjeeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samfromindia (Post 3415046)
Welcome to Team-Bhp and congrats on your new car. Please post pics of your baby or better make a ownership thread. There aren't many Ambiante threads around here.
I am still waiting for my Scarlet. They promised me delivery within 2 months. So far i had good experience with the dealer, hope they don't break their promise next month when it is supposed to be given. Else i will just cancel my booking and look for the next big thing.

The wait will be worth it, please be patient. i tried uploading the pics but I am afresher as far as technology is concerned so give me a day or two, I will upload the pics. The Ambiente is a smashing value for money although I miss the airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksport (Post 3416208)
Nice info. Where are you getting the remap done? Are you aware if any such tuning boxes or remap is available for the 1.5 Petrol? Am desperate to bring more life onto my petrol engine. Thanks.

I am planning to get a remap from Pete's. I am not aware of any 1.5 petrol specific tuning box.

The simplest way to gain a little performance is a K & N performance air filter. Beyond that, blueprinting the engine will gain you performance and mileage. Free flow exhausts and porting/polishing the engine head are other things you can do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan (Post 3416305)
1. Can the engine cover be retrofitted ? Is lack of this causing any problems including more engine noise creeping into the cabin?

Yes it can be, a few members have got it installed and it costs around 5-6k, even without it, Ecosport diesel has excellent NVH and you would hardly hear the tyre or engine noise, in this aspect even Verna is excellent.

Quote:

2. Any rattling issues ?
None so far for me, i have clocked 9000 kms and nothing till now. Some members do have rattling problems.

Quote:

3. FE on tank full method with AC in cities & highways ( @ what speed? ).
Am consistently getting 18-19 km/l in city with AC and on highways, managing to get 22-23 which is good for a car weighing 1300 kgs :)

Quote:

4. Which variant is most VFM- Titanium (o) or Titanium.
Between the two, my choice is Titanium (o) as you get keyless entry, all black interiors (personal choice) and leather seat covers for a nominal amount over Titanium.

Quote:

5. How stiff is the ride quality at slow speeds with the driver alone inside the car?
It is stiff but not bone jarring if you think so. At low speeds, stiffness is felt over large potholes where the Ecosport thuds through but you will love the FLAT ride over undulating Indian roads. This car will ride flat where Verna would be all over the place. Verna has a pathetically soft suspension and an equally pathetic steering which spoils an otherwise brilliant car.

Quote:

6. How silent is the cabin on highways with regard to engine,wind & tyre noise creeping in and if any one has experienced Verna 1.6 CRDI, I would appreciate a comparo. Silent cabin is one of my top priorities?
Verna is more silent between the two but Ecosport is just a notch down. It also has a brilliant NHV and the engine is silent upto 100-110, tyre noise is also kept to minimum levels, Ford has worked hard in this department.

Quote:

7. What is the comfortable cruising speed on four lane highways, if road condition and traffic are no limiting factors.
You can comfortable cruise at 100-120 all day long, the car does feel a tad underpowered with full load but you can always go for a remap if you want more power. I find the car adequately powered.

I have read that Hyundai has come in with stiffer springs for 2014 Verna, why dont you try going in for a swap with that suspension before selling off the car, you will lose money on your Verna and going for Ecosport is no upgrade.

I wont say that Ecosport is a segment down like vid but if you enjoy driving, then you will remain far happier behind the wheels of an Ecosport rather than a Verna, even with 200 mm GC, the dynamics and braking of Ecosport is light years ahead of Hyundai. The space at the rear in Ecosport may be less but the seating position is much more comfortable than Verna, i feel nauseating in the rear seat of Verna as its too low and the ride too bouncy (that is my personal opinion though, no offence to any one).

Have a long test drive of Ecosport and judge for yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3416308)
The ecosport is a segment down. The Verna 1.6CRDI with 6 speed has performance and efficiency in a league of it's own and the ecosport is no match.

ES is using Fiesta's platform & engine. Fiesta & Verna are considered to belong to the same segment. Is it fare then to say ES is a segment below Verna. Of course, the 1.6 CRDI is a gem & much more powerful than engine of ES.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3416308)
The back seat has more space in the Verna than Ecosport. Just for ground clearance you are losing more.

Try upgrading tyres on verna and add the coil spring adjusters:

I have those in mind. But the prospective buyer can not wait more. I have already kept him in doubt for last 15 days, whether I am going ahead with the sale or not. The offer I am getting is very good-8.5 L, 2.5 yrs old, done 42.5 K, 1.6 CRDI SX. Still on stock tyres. Four tyres are due for change very shortly & battery must be reaching end of it's life. If I consider these, I have to spend 35-40 k very soon on my Verna. Suspension upgrade & tyre upgrade will cost me another 25 k. So in effect, I am getting a price of 9.10 L, thus the serious thought of changing the car. Would not like to change to another sedan of same segment & I have no budget to go for higher segment sedans. For me, only option is ES, if at all I sale my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolboy007 (Post 3416345)

Between the two, my choice is Titanium (o) as you get keyless entry, all black interiors (personal choice) and leather seat covers for a nominal amount over Titanium.

I think both Titanium & Titanium (o) have key less entry. Differences are in curtain airbags & leather seats. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Quote:

where Verna would be all over the place. Verna has a pathetically soft suspension and an equally pathetic steering which spoils an otherwise brilliant car.

Can n't agree more, this is one of the primary reasons for the thoughts of selling it.
Quote:

Verna is more silent between the two but Ecosport is just a notch down. It also has a brilliant NHV and the engine is silent upto 100-110, tyre noise is also kept to minimum levels, Ford has worked hard in this department.

Thanks for the info. Quite cabin is one of my greatest weaknesses. Does retrofitting of engine cover help reducing engine noise in side the cabin.

Quote:

You can comfortable cruise at 100-120 all day long, the car does feel a tad underpowered with full load but you can always go for a remap if you want more power. I find the car adequately powered.

What can be the revised power & torque with the remap?

Quote:

if you enjoy driving, then you will remain far happier behind the wheels of an Ecosport rather than a Verna,

Have a long test drive of Ecosport and judge for yourself.

I do enjoy driving. Showrooms are 200 km away from my place. Thus a proper TD may take some time. Also a normal TD does not reveal everything you want to know.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan (Post 3416408)
ES is using Fiesta's platform & engine. Fiesta & Verna are considered to belong to the same segment. Is it fare then to say ES is a segment below Verna. Of course, the 1.6 CRDI is a gem & much more powerful than engine of ES.

The platform is same but there are corners that have been cut in the Ecosport but not in Fiesta. The Fiesta itself had poor interiors so you can imagine that the Ecosport is a notch below. The Verna is a benchmark in interior quality.

The Ecosport has stiff ride and coming from Verna you are going to feel it. It's way too stiff for comfort and ok only on smooth highways.

The lower power and lack of 6th gear means highway FE will be 15-16kmpl max if you drive between 110 - 120kmph.

I still feel you will lose much more than you will gain changing from Verna to Ecosport. You maybe getting a deal on the Verna but remember that Ford's do not have great resale either.

PS: Please do not use the short form ES as it is against the forum rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3416428)
The platform is same but there are corners that have been cut in the Ecosport but not in Fiesta. The Fiesta itself had poor interiors so you can imagine that the Ecosport is a notch below. The Verna is a benchmark in interior quality.

The Ecosport has stiff ride and coming from Verna you are going to feel it. It's way too stiff for comfort and ok only on smooth highways.

The lower power and lack of 6th gear means highway FE will be 15-16kmpl max if you drive between 110 - 120kmph.

You said it :thumbs up. I observed the same as I have an Ecosport and Verna in my garage. Ecosport got hard plastics and it feels very rough when compared to Verna. The interior quality is top notch in the Verna. Also, the lack of 6th gear is what I missed when I drove to Bangalore last week. As I had reported, maintaining 110-120kmph will return an average of max 15-16kmpl. The instantaneous mileage indicator will be shuffling between 15-17kmpl. But the vehicle stays planted and is wonderful on the highway and the high GC really helped tackle the never-ending speed breakers in Bangalore.

Sorry to ask this question if it has already been answered earlier on this thread.

To all those who have given their car for second service, can you please tell me how much was your bill amount.

I gave my car yesterday to Elite ford and now he is asking me for another day. I don't want them to take me for a ride.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3416428)

I still feel you will lose much more than you will gain changing from Verna to Ecosport. You maybe getting a deal on the Verna but remember that Ford's do not have great resale either.

Today morning I went to a friend 40 km from my home, who owns an Ecosport top end diesel. His car is 4 months old & has done 8k. Drove the Ecosport for an hour on the same road from his home to mine ( half way & took U turn) . My observations are below:

1. Morning start was noisier, but not by a big margin.

2. After warming up, did not feel any vibrations inside & refinement is just a notch below Verna. Not much of a difference again.

3. Engine produces a distinct drone at 3500 rpm & reduces thereafter.

4. Power was lesser than Verna, but can not be called underpowered.

5. 120 kmph is reached quite effortlessly.

6. Almost zero turbo lag.

7. Stalled the engine twice on speed breakers. Has to race the engine in 1st gear like a petrol car to pass through sharp speed breakers. I normally go over speed breakers in 2 nd gear in Verna, no need to shift to 1st, can not do that in Ecosport.

8. The speed breakers where Verna had kissed, Ecosport rode over them easily.

9. Me & my friend were the only ones inside the car. The super stiff suspension set up was very much discomforting. Guess, with more load things should improve.

10. Interior quality way below Verna, looked cheap, but controls buttons were top notch.

11. Driving position was very comfortable, clutch was equally light or heavy as Verna, AC & stock music system were very good.

12. There was some rattling sound from the rear. My 42.5 k run Verna has zero rattles.

13. Do feel, Ecosport will be a down grade for me, thus dropped the idea of selling Verna.

14. The turns I had took my Verna head on @ 100 kmph, could take @ 70 kmph in Ecosport.

Dear Vid, thank you so much for your valuable observations. You were just bang on.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan (Post 3416713)
Dear Vid, thank you so much for your valuable observations. You were just bang on.

Cheers

Anytime. :)

By the way whatever I said about the negatives of the Ecosport was as an owner of Ecosport for 5 months and 6K kms.

I had a Figo before and also have an Altis. The Altis has a soft suspension but still nowhere as cushiony as a Verna.

I feel Ecosport and Verna(or Vento) cater different needs.
A person who mostly drives in city where roads are good and occassional run on highway, Verna would be a better option. If interior quality and power are only factors to define segment, then Verna should be above Fortuner/endeavour likes.
I guess in India the sefment is defined more by the price and size.So in that sense yes, Ecosport is a segment below Verna.

With Ecosport while you compromise on interior quality and power, Verna loses on fun to drive factor and drive anywhere nature.
Another thing I want to reiterate is plastic quality.The vento which I have also has hard plastic, but has a smooth texture.The one in Ecosport is rough and shiny which makes it look cheap.Otherwise it feels as solid as the one in Vento. If I recollect my memory Ford dashboards are made in germany, dont remember the supplier though.

I feel Ecosport is more of lifestyle vehicle rather than just a me too sedan or me too SUV.

I was planning to book the ecosport today but m not able to decide between the ecoboost and 1.5AT the only thing I want to confirm is that does 1.5 AT also has 6 airbags?
M asking it because I was told 6 airbags were available only on titanium+ variants but AT comes only in titanium variant.
Secondly is entertainment system on both the cars same?
Lastly what kind of difference in performance I can expect between the two as AT is not available for test drive.

Thanks in advance

^ AT does have six airbags. The entertainment system is the same. You don't have the start stop button. The gearbox in the AT is smooth and quick. The performance is adequate although the Ecoboost is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 3417382)
^ AT does have six airbags. The entertainment system is the same. You don't have the start stop button. The gearbox in the AT is smooth and quick. The performance is adequate although the Ecoboost is better.

I have a EcoBoost and I have driven AT for sometime. I agree with roy_libran while AT is not bad, EcoBoost is better. Equipment wise both are same except AT doesn't have Start-Stop button but has EBD and ESP where as Ecoboost doesnt even have them as option. Both have 6 airbags.