Team-BHP - Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/177320-toyota-innova-crysta-official-review-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4013364)
Got these images on whatsapp and thought it would be more relevant to post here instead of the Accidents thread.

I scrolled up on this page and it was a bit intriguing to note that the damage looks quite low for all the airbags to deploy like that.

Now, please don't flame me for this. I am not saying it's essentially a good or a bad thing. The earlier Toyota vehicles in India had a bit of history with the airbags not deploying at all. So, this picture was made me curious.

But its always better to err on the side of caution especially when it comes to safety. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by contentedbloke (Post 4014001)
Hi folks, I've been searching for team bhp's official review/thoughts of the 2.4 MT Innova Crysta. I'm especially looking for a comparison between the 2015 outgoing Innova and the new incoming Innova Crysta in terms of performance, FE, new engine vs old tried and tested engine etc. Looks like everyone is gung-ho about the AT options going by the posts and reviews which is surprising considering that almost every Innova on the road is a MT and most buyers (I assume) would explore an MT option also. Especially since the old innova has been discontinued.

I am sure you have read this post in this thread but just checking.

That post definitely does not compare the old vs new.

I am still awaiting the car but based on my test drives, I feel both the gear box & the engine are essentially upgrades of the outgoing model. THey feel essentially the same, albeit with more power.

The additional power & the 3 modes help in low speed driveability. I do not have tried it for long periods on the highway, so cannot comment on that but I think it will have a similar characteristic as the XUV - easy roll-on acceleration, good reserve power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4014146)
..damage looks quite low for all the airbags to deploy like that.

Exactly my thoughts.

Was reminded of this video:

http://youtu.be/TQxcV4lu-a4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 4013944)
OT: When airbags deploy in seats with side airbags do they replace the whole seat or just replace the modules inside seat and patch up the leather?

I think the whole seat would have to be replaced. Manufacturers always recommend replacement instead of repair, even with smaller things. Airbag fixed in a seat is complex arrangement and I doubt any manufacturer would take risk of even suggesting this to customers, considering this kind of damage anyway will have to be covered via Insurance claims in most cases and this will be safest and easiest route for manufacturers to take.

Quote:

I scrolled up on this page and it was a bit intriguing to note that the damage looks quite low for all the airbags to deploy like that.

Now, please don't flame me for this. I am not saying it's essentially a good or a bad thing. The earlier Toyota vehicles in India had a bit of history with the airbags not deploying at all. So, this picture was made me curious.

But its always better to err on the side of caution especially when it comes to safety. :thumbs up

Trivial air bag deployment can be dangerous. You can loose control of the vehicle. It can limit driver visibility and the explosion can dis-orient a driver.
There was a case i know of when air bag deployed due to a dog hit and the driver then hit the median as there was a curve ahead and he could not see ahead due to the airbag.

Just took delivery of my Crysta automatic top end version. While interiors look very nice, I feel Toyota should have provided window blinds at this price point. It would have been a very useful and much appreciated feature.

On that same note I feel power seat adjustment for the driver's seat is a complete waste. 90% of the Innovas are chauffeur driven so no one really appreciates it. In fact I had a hard time explaining to my driver how the seat adjustment works.

The front airbags, yes. It depends on the placement of the sensors on the front impact beam. The Fiesta has the sensor in the dead center, there is a possibility that Toyota has placed the sensors on the sides too with a different logic.

But the side/curtain airbag deployment needs an explanation. This doesnt look like a side impact or even a roll over situation. If its a SRS Airbag, then were all the passengers in the car buckled up too? :confused:

Its weird that all the balloons popped but glad the occupants are safe! :D

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt (Post 4014215)
Exactly my thoughts.

Was reminded of this video:

http://youtu.be/TQxcV4lu-a4

This is definitely FAKE.

Probably at the early years of creating a "viral" video.

There's no way a car's airbag would deploy in those conditions (0 km/h, minor impact), more-so a Mercedes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anachronix (Post 4014628)
But the side/curtain airbag deployment needs an explanation. This doesnt look like a side impact or even a roll over situation.

Quoting what i wrote in another post regarding this:

In this case, the description of the crash holds a possible clue:
A sleepy driver of a car coming from opposite direction dashed against right side of this five days old Toyota Crysta

Owner of this vehicle took his vehicle to extreme edge of left side of mud road left along the tar road...

So look at the vector of the impact. It's not purely a frontal impact, hence the sensors obviously thought there was enough sideways movement to deploy the curtain & shoulder airbags too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 4015106)
This is definitely FAKE.

Probably at the early years of creating a "viral" video.

There's no way a car's airbag would deploy in those conditions (0 km/h, minor impact), more-so a Mercedes.

There's no doubt it is a fake.

Although the passengers in the Crysta must have felt they were in the midst of a terrorist attack the way all the airbags were deployed for a seemingly minor impact.

I thought airbags were intelligently deployed based on location of impact and whether someone was actually seated. i.e if passenger seat is emply, the airbags in that section do not deploy

I dont think this was a simple collision. Damage looks pretty bad. Thank god for the Airbags.
Having personally driven on this stretch of roads, especially now with monsoons in full swing, i would say it could have been a tricky situation with slippery winding roads and idiots driving rash !!

Toyota have learnt hard way out, as they had huge life threatening airbag failure recalls. Looks like they want to ensure all are out and functional this time.

Saw the "7 airbags popped" pics and the word that came to my mind was "overzealous".

My guess is that the airbags and subsequent interior panel damage itself would cost 2-3 Lakhs in repairs and the vehicle which could have been back on road in about 2-3 weeks, would spend much more time at the service center before it resumes duty.

The front ones are completely justified. The rest, IMHO, seems like an over-reaction.

Well finally took delivery of a Silver Vx 8 Seater yesterday.

Buying experience was not too bad. Took 3 hours - because I did an exhaustive PDI, it tool 30 minutes for the car to be brought, 30 for the ice research etc

Only issues were with the ice:
- The DVD player refused to play. The accessories guy said that 'Original DVDs can't be played ". I ignored him
- the remote also did not work
- the crm tried to show me how to voice tag a contact but could not figure it out
- finally, nobody knew how to select a # from a phone list from the steering wheel controls (anybody here know?TIA)

(aside: Toyota need to train its staff better when there are such complex consoles.)

The car is nice. The music system despite GTO 's comments in the review is not bad. No need to rush out & change it. (I had not listened to the music system as I always was planning to move amp & speakers from the Innova into the Crysta)

Now the drive : despite the ga-ga over the automatic, the manual is a joy to drive. Tons of torque. Tons of power. Dont miss the at as it moves at will from any gear.

It is exceptionally silent too.

Looking forward to another trouble free ownership experience.

Looks like high price is not a barrier for Innova Crysta when it comes to taxi market. Already spotted couple of yellow board taxi crysta in Bangalore.