Team-BHP - Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/208487-mahindra-xuv300-official-review-64.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishk29 (Post 5442347)
b) There is some discussion here surrounding headlights. I've personally gotten Philips extreme vision in the low, and TVS LEDs in the high beam.
c) The facelift could be some way still. I haven't seen any confirmed news of it. Plus you know the typical shortages with Mahindra. Meaning you could see high waiting times for it.
d) Well honestly, the 300 has a better engine. And all 4 discs which Nexon doesn't offer. So if you're ok with having a slightly lower boot capacity, I'd say the 300 is a better pick between the two.

Am looking at W6 which has reflectors, i think, whereas W8 has projectors. So I need to look at some LED solution which works in reflectors.
I heard Facelift is coming in H1 2023 but will come with an AMT. So no point in waiting for it now.
Boot space is not a concern and all 4 discs is definitely good

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetroHeado (Post 5442448)
Hey Mate!

Great that you are into buying a new car! To answer your question, here goes my 2 cents:-

2) Headlights as stock are quite good. However, since it's the W6, I guess slamming an LED that matches the wattage or power requirements shouldn't be an issue as there are lesser complications, unlike a projector setup.
4) Please avoid Nexon AMT. The laggy engine, an AMT not so well tuned, jerky power delivery, TATA's service is a bigger gamble than MM's, and the lesser space and driving dynamics do not justify this car over the XUV. The XUV outshines every other area except for the not-so-impressive boot space. But I do admit the Nexon is priced lower than the XUV but it's a choice u have to make. If you have an enthusiast inside XUV is simply the way to go. If your willing to live with some niggles but keen on price point Nexon it is.
Hopeful this adds to the previous BHPians suggestion. Do write and keep us updated on your purchase.
Have a good day!

I looked at some youtube videos of the same but would need to check the real life performance of LEDs in W6 reflectors. Don't want to blind oncoming traffic in any case.
Although AMT in Nexon is slightly better per se but XUV300 has got better integration is what I am hearing too. Boot space/Pricing are not a big factor. As I am looking to keep the car for next 7-8 years the mechanicals should be sound and that's where the engine, AMT integration and all 4 discs come in play. Rest is not that important and could be fixed.

Thank you to Ashish and you for making time. Will update once the car is home!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBKS (Post 5442623)
Am looking at W6 which has reflectors, i think, whereas W8 has projectors. So I need to look at some LED solution which works in reflectors.

I looked at some youtube videos of the same but would need to check the real life performance of LEDs in W6 reflectors. Don't want to blind oncoming traffic in any case.

So about reflectors: On the W8, the lower beam has the projector, and the upper beam still has reflectors. So I do indeed have an LED in a reflector setup, and it works fine. There are no discernible/visible dark spots. The spread is uniform.

I would say go for halogens in the low beam so as to not blind oncoming traffic in most day-to-day driving scenarios. At least that was my thought process. Most city areas will anyway be lit enough that we likely don't need to switch to uppers. Then out on the open highways, the LEDs can reign free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishk29 (Post 5442645)
So about reflectors: On the W8, the lower beam has the projector, and the upper beam still has reflectors. So I do indeed have an LED in a reflector setup, and it works fine. There are no discernible/visible dark spots. The spread is uniform.

I would say go for halogens in the low beam so as to not blind oncoming traffic in most day-to-day driving scenarios. At least that was my thought process. Most city areas will anyway be lit enough that we likely don't need to switch to uppers. Then out on the open highways, the LEDs can reign free.

Is it the TVS LED that you talked about in your earlier post? Not sure if W6 reflector has separate bulbs for upper and lower beam. But will check anyhow

I will be taking a test drive this week. I have these doubts -

1. Xuv 300 petrol (amt) - what is the repair cost of amt, clutch etc?
Is only the clutch changed or the whole unit is changed?

2. With the new engine in Xuv 300 petrol Turbo-sport, will the earlier engine be discontinued? Any news on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinhead (Post 5442896)
I will be taking a test drive this week. I have these doubts -

1. Xuv 300 petrol (amt) - what is the repair cost of amt, clutch etc?
Is only the clutch changed or the whole unit is changed?

2. With the new engine in Xuv 300 petrol Turbo-sport, will the earlier engine be discontinued? Any news on this?

1. AMT repair costs are in the same neighbourhood as the manual. AMT is just a traditional manual box with an electronic shifter attached to it. So it doesn't end up being much more expensive than the manual. Plus since it's actually a manual internally, there's a far lower chance of anything outright failing.

2. The earlier engine will not be discontinued. These days most OEMs are offering a "sport" version of some of their cars. Hyundai has the "N-line" version of Venue, i20 etc. Maruti had the "RS" version. So both these variants will stay on sale, with the sports version being slightly more expensive than the base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishk29 (Post 5442907)
1. AMT repair costs are in the same neighbourhood as the manual. AMT is just a traditional manual box with an electronic shifter attached to it. So it doesn't end up being much more expensive than the manual. Plus since it's actually a manual internally, there's a far lower chance of anything outright failing.

2. The earlier engine will not be discontinued. These days most OEMs are offering a "sport" version of some of their cars. Hyundai has the "N-line" version of Venue, i20 etc. Maruti had the "RS" version. So both these variants will stay on sale, with the sports version being slightly more expensive than the base.

AMT is essentially an assembly working on top of manual transmission and costs around 50-60k. The unit will be changed in 5-6 years if not driven properly is the feedback I have received from my sources. And that XUV AMT is better integrated than Nexon AMT. So better to get 4th/5th year warranty too

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBKS (Post 5442272)
Dear All,

b) Improving headlights (although saw some posts but they were for W8 variant that has Projectors, i believe)

W4/W6 headlights are much easier to upgrade actually since it is a H4 setup. Just go with a Osram/Philips Rallye 100/90W bulb paired with a capable relay harness that can support upto 130W and has ceramic bulb holders.

I personally feel halogens and lower kelvin HIDs are much better at illuminating the road without causing glare. They work better in rain/fog too!

Also, since these reflectors are made for H4 bulbs, you will have no difficulty of mis-alignment/glare etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantpoddar (Post 5442970)
W4/W6 headlights are much easier to upgrade actually since it is a H4 setup. Just go with a Osram/Philips Rallye 100/90W bulb paired with a capable relay harness that can support upto 130W and has ceramic bulb holders.

I personally feel halogens and lower kelvin HIDs are much better at illuminating the road without causing glare. They work better in rain/fog too!

Also, since these reflectors are made for H4 bulbs, you will have no difficulty of mis-alignment/glare etc.

I dont know the rating of stock H4 bulbs in XUV300 but will using 100/90 bulb generate extra heat for plastics around and/or put load on the electrical system which may not be designed for excess load?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKBKS (Post 5442978)
I dont know the rating of stock H4 bulbs in XUV300 but will using 100/90 bulb generate extra heat for plastics around and/or put load on the electrical system which may not be designed for excess load?

Stock H4 bulbs across the industry are rated at 60/55W for passenger vehicles.

100/90W is rated at higher wattage than 60/55W, it will put slightly more load on the stock wiring, hence the suggestion to use a relay harness which will divert the load away from stock harness. The battery and all other electricals can very well handle much higher loads than this. But please don't skimp on the relay harness.

Yes, using 100/90W will generate extra heat but nothing that the reflectors / plastics cannot handle. If you're still sceptical, you can avoid using it on high beams continuously for long durations or switch off the headlights at traffic signals.
The only plastic point of contact is the connector in the stock harness, which is why it is better to use the relay harness with ceramic connectors.
I have even used 130/100W bulbs on my TUV and Alto and had no issue despite continuous usage.

For any halogen based reflector, this is the best upgrade as the beam pattern remains the same but the light output increases.

Although if you ask me, Mahindra has done an awful job with their reflector design on all XUV300 variants as the high beam is more of a euro beam than a spot beam. The low beams are pretty good though on all variants.
After multiple experiments with my W8 headlights, I finally stuck to HID for low-beam projectors which suffice within the city, and added auxiliary lights for long highway drives. I've completely given up on the high-beam reflectors of W8/W8O.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantpoddar (Post 5443304)
Stock H4 bulbs across the industry are rated at 60/55W for passenger vehicles.

100/90W is rated at higher wattage than 60/55W, it will put slightly more load on the stock wiring, hence the suggestion to use a relay harness which will divert the load away from stock harness. The battery and all other electricals can very well handle much higher loads than this. But please don't skimp on the relay harness.

But, isn't it illegal or obstruct the oncoming traffic's view?

[quote=ventoAsFirstCar;5431956]
but the TVS H1s are being an issue :lol:

You are absolutely right :thumbs up Where you able to fix this issue?
Quote:

I'm able to affix the lights in the casing properly but not sure about the electrical connection. The stock H1 lamp has a different kind of base and the extra wire that comes with TVS LED has 2 wires whose connectors seem to be different sized
I have the same problem with the TVS LEDs that I purchased.
Quote:

Do you know how I can connect the wires properly? I also searched online, but wasn't able to find any definitive info on how to do it.
I found "H1 Male Plug Single Diode Converter Connecting Wiring Harness for LED Headlights Bulb Conversion" online, see images below. Did you use something like this? It is not available online on Indian sites. We'll have to import them and the ones from US costs whooping 2K.
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221130-19.21.23.jpg

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20221130 at 19.38.41.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  24.0 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishk29 (Post 5437083)
This first picture is from the owner's manual of the 300. It shows there should be 2 connectors inside the headlight bay, which you would have to connect as such

Hi Ashishk29,

I am not sure which owner's manual you are referring to, but I don't see 2 connectors inside the highbeam headlight bay:Frustrati Mine is W8(O) BS6 model. Am I missing something here. Please help:loveit

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamYogi (Post 5447489)
But, isn't it illegal or obstruct the oncoming traffic's view?

I fully agree. I am very cognizant of just how annoying extremely bright lights in the oncoming lane are. That's why I personally opted for a halogen in the lower beam, and always drive around in city with the leveller set to 3.
And honestly, most city areas are usually well lit enough that extra bright lower lights are not necessary within city limits.

[quote=IamYogi;5448527]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ventoAsFirstCar (Post 5431956)

Hi Ashishk29,

I am not sure which owner's manual you are referring to, but I don't see 2 connectors inside the highbeam headlight bay:Frustrati Mine is W8(O) BS6 model. Am I missing something here. Please help:loveit

Mine is the same variant. W8(o) BS6. I just grabbed the screenshot from my own manual. I went down to my parking and tried to have a look at the connector myself, but it's tucked away inside that housing somewhere and I can't get a clear look at it. I will likely have to remove the LED itself to checkout the connector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivingyogi (Post 5440119)
Hi BHP'ians

I have also booked XUV 300 W8 [O] petrol in Bglr.

Car has been alloted with VIN# MA1NM2NM1N2K72807. Taking delivery of the vehicle on 9th after through PDI on 6th at 10:00am.

Couple of queries/concerns:

a) I'll do PDI in broad daylight on 6th of December and transfer the DP as well as loan sanction documents on the same day. As I am taking delivery on 9th of December, after 2 days, can I ask for some liability letter from Anant Motors something on lines that if anything happens to car in these 2 days then Anant Motors is liable and I have right not to accept delivery?

b) Why to provide 6 blank cheques in name of 'SBI Auto Loan A/C'? SA has assured that at time of loan closure these cheques would be returned to you, and this is the practice.

c) There is an outstanding balance in my sold car's Fastag, how to reclaim it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivingyogi (Post 5449620)

c) There is an outstanding balance in my sold car's Fastag, how to reclaim it?

I had a similar situation when I sold my swift. That tag was from ICICI. On their portal there was an option to close the a/c or smth like that. Check your tag provider's portal and you'll see some option. Or call/email their helpline.

I got the balance refunded to my bank a/c.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mihir_m13 (Post 5453799)
I had a similar situation when I sold my swift. That tag was from ICICI. On their portal there was an option to close the a/c or smth like that. Check your tag provider's portal and you'll see some option. Or call/email their helpline.

I got the balance refunded to my bank a/c.

Thanks Mihir for the revert. I did went to Axis Fastag portal -> closed the wallet -> and amount of Fastag got credited in my ICICI account just today morning.