Team-BHP - Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/208487-mahindra-xuv300-official-review-14.html)

Dear All,
To introduce myself, a relatively new member to this community but not to the automotive world. I have recently purchased a Mahindra XUV300 w8(o) AMT - upgraded from a 6 year old Hyundai Grand i10.

With the look and feel of a really large car, my family (including some extended members) has started making a bunch of plans for road trips. (Note: I am unable to explain to them, that the luggage carrying capacity of both cars is the exact same - don't ask me why - according to them the car is bigger.. so more luggage.)

I was evaluating the Mahindra sourced roof carrier and was looking to seek some guidance. Below are a few points i would request some assistance or brainstorming on:

1. Carrier is attached to roof rails. My idea was roof rails in a box shaped car, increases stability during high speeds. Does having a permanent carrier attached cause an impact in high speeds or impair dynamic stability?

2. Load capacity is mapped at 50 kilos. My physics/dynamics tells me the Centre of Gravity shifts way higher making the car unstable - a lot more than Question1 for sure. Are there certain aspects i need to be careful about?

3. Can roof rails really handle a roof rack?

These were debated a few days ago on a WhatsApp group, and I wanted to seek some more pointers here.

Note: Been a biker almost all my life, and graduating to cars now. Please excuse some silly questions i may ask - they sound important to me maybe:)

XUV300 recalled for suspension replacement:

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_201911042128012.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalaChakravarth (Post 4684908)
Dear All,
To introduce myself, a relatively new member to this community but not to the automotive world. I have recently purchased a Mahindra XUV300 w8(o) AMT - upgraded from a 6 year old Hyundai Grand i10.

Welcome to the forum BalaChakravarth & congratulations on the wonderful new car! Wish you happy miles for years with it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BalaChakravarth (Post 4684908)
3. Can roof rails really handle a roof rack?

The XUV300's roof rails are only aesthetic (like Nexon, WRV etc) and not functional load bearers (like the EcoSport for instance). So no - I'd strongly advise against mounting a roof rack on those rails of an XUV300. If you must have a roof rack, install it in the conventional way - using clamps on the body near roof line.

Regarding your other questions just for trivia - just a roof rack hardly makes a noticeable difference in driving dynamics of a 1 ton car. But 50kgs of luggage on it, sure move the CoG up. One would feel this while hard cornering as the car would have more body roll and a bit of unnerving under-steer. Also - such luggage must be fastened tight to ensure it doesn't slide around as that will catch a driver totally off guard midway in a turn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque_Curve (Post 4687032)
XUV300 recalled for suspension replacement:

Attachment 1930903

I am at the service station today getting this replacement done.

Easily takes 3 to 4 hours. The reason for change or benefit is still not clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4687198)
Welcome to the forum BalaChakravarth & congratulations on the wonderful new car! Wish you happy miles for years with it.

The XUV300's roof rails are only aesthetic (like Nexon, WRV etc) and not functional load bearers (like the EcoSport for instance). So no - I'd strongly advise against mounting a roof rack on those rails of an XUV300. If you must have a roof rack, install it in the conventional way - using clamps on the body near roof line.

Regarding your other questions just for trivia - just a roof rack hardly makes a noticeable difference in driving dynamics of a 1 ton car. But 50kgs of luggage on it, sure move the CoG up. One would feel this while hard cornering as the car would have more body roll and a bit of unnerving under-steer. Also - such luggage must be fastened tight to ensure it doesn't slide around as that will catch a driver totally off guard midway in a turn.

They have advertising collateral that shows roof rail carrier installed.

Are you sure that it is not load bearing?... And how.

Quote:

Originally Posted by @viral (Post 4690122)

I gave it a gentle tug at the showroom when I was there to TD XUV5OO. It moved. Seems plastic at most joints and floating at the center where it is pretty thin.

To confirm it further, the TBHP Official review clearly states its for aesthetics only. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by @viral (Post 4690122)
I am at the service station today getting this replacement done.

Easily takes 3 to 4 hours. The reason for change or benefit is still not clear.

Got the knuckles changed and the ride quality has significantly improved. The rattling noise while going over uneven road is gone.

Please get it done if you get a called for service request.

Also, the mystery around the roof rack deepens as it seems that the clamps that they have to fix the roof rack on the trails are not compatible and can't be fixed on the xuv3oo roof rails. :Frustrati

For the roof rack, I find it mildly amusing that it covers the sunroof! So on a W8(o), you can’t keep it installed always, unless you don’t mind looking at it every time through sunroof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 4663295)
Took my car for a long drive of 1200 Kms - Chennai-Trichy-Palani- Karur- Namakal-Salem-Chennai.

The AMT does not feel as bad as before or perhaps I am learning the tricks of driving the AMT. The mileage has improved. With 5 people on board, AC at full blast, 80-120 KMPH speeds with 80% 4 lane roads, the mileage for the trip was 16 KMPLs.
The roomier cabin, light interiors add to passenger comfort. However rear a/c vents would have eased the load on the front blowers and could contribute to better fuel efficiency. Hope someone at Mahindra is listening.

Hi Sridhar, could you please help me out in answering the below queries.

Other member XUV300 AMT owners out here, could you also share your experience please

1. Can you please share your experience on the reliability of the new AMT gearbox?
2. How is your driving experience with the AMT, have you been able to adapt to a style which can provide smooth shifts and good overtake manoeuvres?
3. How is the AC cooling experience in absence of rear vents? this was a problem highlighted on the official overview thread by our mods.
4. How much mileage are you getting in a tankfull-to-tankfull method. What kind of driving conditions are these in?
5. How has been the overall performance of the car? any niggles?
6. Given the price and options available are you happy with your purchase decision?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Pls. find my responses inline
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGwagon (Post 4696955)

Hi Sridhar, could you please help me out in answering the below queries.

Other member XUV300 AMT owners out here, could you also share your experience please

1. Can you please share your experience on the reliability of the new AMT gearbox?

Have done 5K Kms. So far so good. The lessons from TUV300 AMT seems to be have been learnt by Mahindra.

2. How is your driving experience with the AMT, have you been able to adapt to a style which can provide smooth shifts and good overtake manoeuvres?

Yes. I had some initial troubles adjusting to AMT but have learnt to adopt and manage it.

3. How is the AC cooling experience in absence of rear vents? this was a problem highlighted on the official overview thread by our mods.

A/C is powerful and manages the cooling of cabin but lack of rear vents means that the blower fan needs be on at least medium or high continuously for effective cooling of the rear seats.

4. How much mileage are you getting in a tankfull-to-tankfull method. What kind of driving conditions are these in?
12KMPL in city and 16-18 KMPL in highways. Usage of cruise control and speeds of 80, it can increase to 20 KMPL

5. How has been the overall performance of the car? any niggles?
Very good. Excellent ride and handling balance. Refined tractable motor. Very good space, decent interiors and feature sets. Only niggle is on the infotainment system where android auto disconnects the blue tooth. Infer the latest software update addresses it.

6. Given the price and options available are you happy with your purchase decision?
Yes, absolutely.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 4699706)
Pls. find my responses inline

Thank you Sridhar for your responses. Seems like you are enjoying the ownership. I own a fair share of AMT gearbox cars and to me the slight annoyance of smoothness especially in the initial gears if far outweighed by the convenience and efficiency that the AMT brings in form of only A-B pedal driving and also in maintenance and FE over the other slush boxes.

However, to me logically a 1.5l oil burner with an AMT transmission in a comparably smaller vehicle the in-city FE of 12, seems to be quite low. What are your thoughts?

Just for reference, I have 2 diesel autos and 2 petrol autos. Here are their in-city mileage numbers:
1. Zest Diesel AMT - 15-16kmpl with AC
2. Seltos D-AT (TC) - 13.5-14kmpl with AC
3. Dzire ZXi+ AMT - 15kmpl with AC
4. Tigor P AMT - 11kmpl with AC

Also in all your experience of visiting Mahindra service centres and ownership discussions, have you come across any owners of the XUV3oo who have had issues with the AMT or related parts?

We are planning to take the W8 AMT.

Thanks once again.

Mahindra brings in BS-VI complaint XUV300.

Mahindra XUV300 is the first car from the automaker to receive BS-VI emission norms compliant engine.

The BS-VI version of the XUV300 will be available on all its 1.2-litre turbo petrol offerings.

There's no mention of diesel BS-VI launch.

Source: ET Auto

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelguy (Post 4704776)
Mahindra brings in BS-VI complaint XUV300.

The price hike is around 20k, which is decent IMO. Since contribution from Diesel is fairly high, Mahindra is just milking it till the last moment.

I don't think any manufacturer has yet put up both BSVI & BSIV diesel engines on sale. Only Kia has BSVI diesel engine so far, rest are pushing the launch as far as possible. It is basically a blinking game now. We know that price difference in petrol BS4 & BS6 engines is about 10k-20k, not much. It remains to be see how much difference would be there in diesel engines. If it is significant, then current BS4 lot will be gobbled up in a hurry.

Mahindra has started some new thing where interested buyers get test drives from owners! They call it Drivz program. I enquired for a test drive, but the owner test drive is available only in early mornings or late evenings in workdays, and at some other time on weekends.

I am yet to figure out how this is better than dealer provided vehicle, except perhaps at remote locations where the dealer network is thin. I for one would be far more comfortable testing a dealer vehicle than a privately owned one, even if that owner might have consented to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4707323)
Mahindra has started some new thing where interested buyers get test drives from owners! They call it Drivz program. I enquired for a test drive, but the owner test drive is available only in early mornings or late evenings in workdays, and at some other time on weekends.

I am yet to figure out how this is better than dealer provided vehicle, except perhaps at remote locations where the dealer network is thin. I for one would be far more comfortable testing a dealer vehicle than a privately owned one, even if that owner might have consented to it.

I wonder what sort of an incentive is Mahindra offering for the owner to lend his vehicle for a TD:Shockked:

I dont think I'd be comfortable with anyone other me driving my car around let alone use it as TD vehicle:)