Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 31st October 2019, 18:01   #196

Default Advice on roof carrier - XUV300

Dear All,
To introduce myself, a relatively new member to this community but not to the automotive world. I have recently purchased a Mahindra XUV300 w8(o) AMT - upgraded from a 6 year old Hyundai Grand i10.

With the look and feel of a really large car, my family (including some extended members) has started making a bunch of plans for road trips. (Note: I am unable to explain to them, that the luggage carrying capacity of both cars is the exact same - don't ask me why - according to them the car is bigger.. so more luggage.)

I was evaluating the Mahindra sourced roof carrier and was looking to seek some guidance. Below are a few points i would request some assistance or brainstorming on:

1. Carrier is attached to roof rails. My idea was roof rails in a box shaped car, increases stability during high speeds. Does having a permanent carrier attached cause an impact in high speeds or impair dynamic stability?

2. Load capacity is mapped at 50 kilos. My physics/dynamics tells me the Centre of Gravity shifts way higher making the car unstable - a lot more than Question1 for sure. Are there certain aspects i need to be careful about?

3. Can roof rails really handle a roof rack?

These were debated a few days ago on a WhatsApp group, and I wanted to seek some more pointers here.

Note: Been a biker almost all my life, and graduating to cars now. Please excuse some silly questions i may ask - they sound important to me maybe
BalaChakravarth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 22:11   #197
BHPian

Default Mahindra XUV300 recalled for suspension issue

XUV300 recalled for suspension replacement:

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_201911042128012.png

Last edited by Torque_Curve : 4th November 2019 at 22:16. Reason: Minute grammatical error
Torque_Curve is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 09:38   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Advice on roof carrier - XUV300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaChakravarth View Post
Dear All,
To introduce myself, a relatively new member to this community but not to the automotive world. I have recently purchased a Mahindra XUV300 w8(o) AMT - upgraded from a 6 year old Hyundai Grand i10.
Welcome to the forum BalaChakravarth & congratulations on the wonderful new car! Wish you happy miles for years with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaChakravarth View Post
3. Can roof rails really handle a roof rack?
The XUV300's roof rails are only aesthetic (like Nexon, WRV etc) and not functional load bearers (like the EcoSport for instance). So no - I'd strongly advise against mounting a roof rack on those rails of an XUV300. If you must have a roof rack, install it in the conventional way - using clamps on the body near roof line.

Regarding your other questions just for trivia - just a roof rack hardly makes a noticeable difference in driving dynamics of a 1 ton car. But 50kgs of luggage on it, sure move the CoG up. One would feel this while hard cornering as the car would have more body roll and a bit of unnerving under-steer. Also - such luggage must be fastened tight to ensure it doesn't slide around as that will catch a driver totally off guard midway in a turn.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 15:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
XUV300 recalled for suspension replacement:

Attachment 1930903
I am at the service station today getting this replacement done.

Easily takes 3 to 4 hours. The reason for change or benefit is still not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to the forum BalaChakravarth & congratulations on the wonderful new car! Wish you happy miles for years with it.

The XUV300's roof rails are only aesthetic (like Nexon, WRV etc) and not functional load bearers (like the EcoSport for instance). So no - I'd strongly advise against mounting a roof rack on those rails of an XUV300. If you must have a roof rack, install it in the conventional way - using clamps on the body near roof line.

Regarding your other questions just for trivia - just a roof rack hardly makes a noticeable difference in driving dynamics of a 1 ton car. But 50kgs of luggage on it, sure move the CoG up. One would feel this while hard cornering as the car would have more body roll and a bit of unnerving under-steer. Also - such luggage must be fastened tight to ensure it doesn't slide around as that will catch a driver totally off guard midway in a turn.
They have advertising collateral that shows roof rail carrier installed.

Are you sure that it is not load bearing?... And how.

Last edited by navin : 9th November 2019 at 16:30.
@viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 17:00   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post

I gave it a gentle tug at the showroom when I was there to TD XUV5OO. It moved. Seems plastic at most joints and floating at the center where it is pretty thin.

To confirm it further, the TBHP Official review clearly states its for aesthetics only.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 21:43   #201
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
I am at the service station today getting this replacement done.

Easily takes 3 to 4 hours. The reason for change or benefit is still not clear.

Got the knuckles changed and the ride quality has significantly improved. The rattling noise while going over uneven road is gone.

Please get it done if you get a called for service request.

Also, the mystery around the roof rack deepens as it seems that the clamps that they have to fix the roof rack on the trails are not compatible and can't be fixed on the xuv3oo roof rails.
@viral is offline   Reply With Quote